JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Neat video thank you for sharing.

As for conversions....they were done for sure and are somewhat common.
With that said....
I would suggest that if one wants a cartridge revolver...buy a cartridge revolver.
Andy

I like the option of having the conversion, allows one to use the correct cap and ball or conical of the pistols era as well as the modern cartridge's available! For me, it's all about versatility! ;)

Some pistols I wouldn't convert, while others I would have no problems doing! It's ultimately up to the owner to decide if they want to do that or not!
I would NOT convert an original Colt or others, but a Uberti or Pietta, I would have no issues with! Some like the Ruger Old Army, It would depend on the individual piece!

I can certainly see why someone would have just kept their percussion gun. It would have cost quite a bit to convert it or buy a new one, and for most people it really wouldn't of mattered. In fact I can imagine the ability to load loose powder and ball if you wanted would have been a distinct advantage on the frontier, vs having to source cartridges. And like he said if it's just you in a gunfight there's like a 0% chance you'll be able to reload, percussion or otherwise.

One thing to consider with original ( antique) cap and ball revolvers but not with replicas or the Ruger Old Army....
Is that they were designed for loose powder and ball...not for the "compressed" powder of a self contained metallic cartridge....the metallurgy in some original ( antique) may be iffy with cartridge pressures.

Again not really an issue with replicas....That said...
I would be concerned though with shooting a .38+P load from a Uberti Colt or Remington replica...
So some ammo may be a issue with some replicas.
Andy

And, many of the "Old" Black Powder percussion revolvers tend to be more powerful then their cartridge loading cousins, pistols like the Colt Dragoon can actually exceed .45 Colt by a pretty good amount! I know the Original Remington 1858's could match .45 Colt pretty easy, especially given that both were loaded with Black Powder!

And, many of the "Old" Black Powder percussion revolvers tend to be more powerful then their cartridge loading cousins, pistols like the Colt Dragoon can actually exceed .45 Colt by a pretty good amount! I know the Original Remington 1858's could match .45 Colt pretty easy, especially given that both were loaded with Black Powder!

I remeber the first time I shot an actual conical in my 1858 with a full charge, the recoil certainly surprised me. I shot a tomato with it, and I can tell you I certainly wouldn't want to be that tomato, nasty.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top