JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So,I believe the "original" of the two was made in late 1862..would this be "2ND Generation"?
I'm getting thrown off track here.
The term 2nd Generation has been used a couple times,but Im thinking it is original,which would lead me to believe it is 1st Generation.
AM I WRONG?
If it isnt 100% original,Civil War era production,Im backing out!!:)

As for the obvious reproduction,it was imported by CVA.I dont know which maker but its surely Italian. (Uberti,Pietta,etc)

It doesn't happen much over here, since the local interest in your recent WoNa is somewhat less than yours, but in the USA there IS nevertheless a thriving trade in frawks, using Eyetalian replicas as a starting point. In fact, both Uberti and Pietta make 'grey-aged' versions of many of their revolvers that nevertheless are easily distinguishable from the genuine article by a lack of wear and the presence of serial numbers et al. Here in the CIP countries, removing proof marks and country of origin markings is a very serious offence, earning jail time, since the general concensus is that this would only be done for nefarious purposes. [Riiiiiiiiiiiiight, holding up the local corner store with a scrubbed Paterson revolver.........or Snider...]

In the USA, in order to be HC, many owners actually remove all traces of recent manufacture - a process that they call 'de-farbing', and, so long as they do not actually pass off the firearm as genuine in any subsequent sale, all is well. I understand that removing the serial number from a firearm is a federal offence, but as most states do not accept that a BP arm is actually a REAL firearm, this is moot.

However, I am fully of the opinion that the OP's revolver is the real deal, based on not only a great lack of experience where Colt handguns are concerned, but from handling the real things belonging to other, far richer, people than me.

tac

OK Guys..Got them home.
Here are the pics I just took. First off will be the "original",then a couple of the CVA repro for compare.
They came as a set as pictured.The powder flask and 2 extra cylinders (loaded!!) are repro for sure.
Percussion caps are original.
Turns out is IS cut out for the stock,sorry Andy!!
20161117_104912.jpg 20161117_104956.jpg 20161117_105111.jpg 20161117_105348.jpg 20161117_105407.jpg 20161117_105419.jpg 20161117_105445.jpg 20161117_105509.jpg 20161117_105706.jpg 20161117_110728.jpg 20161117_105307.jpg 20161117_105155.jpg

OK Guys..Got them home.
Here are the pics I just took. First off will be the "original",then a couple of the CVA repro for compare.
They came as a set as pictured.The powder flask and 2 extra cylinders (loaded!!) are repro for sure.
Percussion caps are original.
Turns out is IS cut out for the stock,sorry Andy!!
View attachment 323616 View attachment 323617 View attachment 323619 View attachment 323620 View attachment 323621 View attachment 323622 View attachment 323623 View attachment 323624 View attachment 323626 View attachment 323627 View attachment 323629 View attachment 323630

That is really cool! :cool:

Thanks everyone!
After asking here,researching a bit on the colt forum,and going and looking at it 4 times,I was convinced it was real.
I was scared to throw away my money,but thankfully it turned out for the best.
So originally I wanted to give it to my daughter,then decided to give her the repro,and now kinda want to keep both together..
I feel pretty selfish!:oops:

Thanks everyone!
After asking here,researching a bit on the colt forum,and going and looking at it 4 times,I was convinced it was real.
I was scared to throw away my money,but thankfully it turned out for the best.
So originally I wanted to give it to my daughter,then decided to give her the repro,and now kinda want to keep both together..
I feel pretty selfish!:oops:

No reason you couldn't buy her another repro Colt 1860(except money). The Xmas sales are coming up at Cabela's and other places. The Pietta 1860's are listed at $280.00 at Cabela's now but if you watch the sales and special offers(some are only 1 day sales)you could buy one for nearer $200.00. A second generation Colt sells for two to three times that. I have a Uberti 1860 with a fluted cylinder and love it. They are a hoot to shoot with real BP. I know what you mean about the 1860's, they are beautiful and feel so good in your hand. Mine fits my hand perfect;y and is a natural pointer. I don't think they make the repro fluted cylinder model anymore. I can only dream about what it is like to shoot an original.

Last Edited:
Haha, yeah obviously they could have been put there by anyone at any time!
(After 1862 that is)
No false pretenses or assumptions here!
Just fun to imagine.
It does give me tingles to hold it though !

I think we all get those "tingles" with nice Original Firearms! It's history in your hands, and it's stories untold that reach into your imagination, Well worth the price of admission I say! Holding a piece that Col. Colt may have actually held and smiled at, priceless! Congrats!

Very true about the feeling of holding history in your hands!
I'm not sure who gets the most enjoyment , The new shooter who is shooting one of my antique guns or me watching them as they shoot and hit the target with a 150 plus year old gun! :)
Andy

Who knows about 'em?
Any resident experts,amateurs,or enthusiasts?
(Andy?)
Im contemplating buying an original for my oldest daughter as a surprise.. she is a Civil War nerd..
Dont know how THAT happened?
I'm wondering if anyone can give me guidance as far as verifying originality.
It's purported to be original,and my experience with other things says it is,but...
It's non firing at this point,and I doubt we would ever attempt it,so it's display only..
Thoughts?

I can post pics tomorrow.
Thanks in advance!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR