JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Who knows about 'em?
Any resident experts,amateurs,or enthusiasts?
(Andy?)
Im contemplating buying an original for my oldest daughter as a surprise.. she is a Civil War nerd..
Dont know how THAT happened?
I'm wondering if anyone can give me guidance as far as verifying originality.
It's purported to be original,and my experience with other things says it is,but...
It's non firing at this point,and I doubt we would ever attempt it,so it's display only..
Thoughts?

I can post pics tomorrow.
Thanks in advance!

Looking forward to seeing the pictures ...
I'd be happy to help any way that I can.
The Colt 1860 is my favorite of the cap and ball revolvers.

The Colt second generation revolvers are now 40 odd years old and can look much older...
Original Colts will have a progressive twist to their rifling. ( Some 2nd gens will as well )
Original rifling is much deeper than on replicas.
2nd generation Colts have a 2 in the front of the serial number.
Most imports are metric so a quick and dirty way to check is to try a screw.
Just now remembered ... Most originals will have a faint to non-existent cylinder scene.
At the time the Colt roll marks and dies were worn or didn't "strike" very hard for guns of this series.

As for not firing ... Well they are easy to work on and I have fixed many a Colt.
Might be able to help with that if you want...
Andy
Edit to add a point about markings ...

Last Edited:
Hence my skepticism!

I'm pretty sure I have George Washington's 1860 in my safe. He used it to shoot Stalin, thus ending the Korean War. I could be persuaded to let it go for the right price...:p

I also have Ghengis Kahn's pool table, but there is no way I'll let that one go!!

I know, I know, stay on topic smarta$$ :oops:

Here in yUK we have THE Colt dealer, Mr Pete Holder. He has been in business for man years, and has an impeccable record for fair and honest trading. The laws here in yUK with regard to fraudulent trading are far more stringent than they are in the USA, BTW. Mr Holder has NEVER been 'caught out' in any way.

To be sure that YOU don't buy a lemon, you'd have to go to somebody like Julias or Southeby's et al, or a well-known and reputable dealer - NOT Craig's list...

tac

Here in yUK we have THE Colt dealer, Mr Pete Holder. He has been in business for man years, and has an impeccable record for fair and honest trading. The laws here in yUK with regard to fraudulent trading are far more stringent than they are in the USA, BTW. Mr Holder has NEVER been 'caught out' in any way.

To be sure that YOU don't buy a lemon, you'd have to go to somebody like Julias or Southeby's et al, or a well-known and reputable dealer - NOT Craig's list...

tac

Definitely NOT Craigslist..
However,does anyone recall the Spencer carbine I posted here last year?
That was a $350 Craigslist find..Along with 3 of my Japanese swords at a couple hundred each..and most of my WW2 USMC collection.
I think if one does his research and is patient,there are genuine deals out there.
Of course,Craigslist abounds with fakes and flakes,but nothing ventured,nothing gained,right?

Well,I have these so far.
There is a naval battle scene in the cylinder,along with a small "D"
stamping
An "N" on tge frame at the back of the cylinder area,"Colts patent" on the left frame,and the address on top of the barrel.
There is an obvious replica at the store I can compare side by side.
I'm pretty convinced it's real
Do these pics help?

Sorry bout them being all askew,I'm on my phone

20161114_125154.jpg 20161114_125209.jpg 20161114_125232.jpg 20161114_125245.jpg 20161114_125257.jpg

Looks pretty good to me.
Most of the screws need a bit of "help" not too big of a deal.
Nice that the numbers match.
Cylinder scene look like it should.
I can't quite tell is the frame cut for a shoulder stock?
The screw that would hold the stock is flat ... Not a big deal , this was done a lot.
If it isn't cut it is a civilian piece.
How is the bore?
Does that barrel meet the frame good. And does "sit tight" not wobble?

The last question is subjective.
How does it "feel" when compared to the replica.
A original Colt has a distinct "feel"
Most of the replicas I have handled are slightly oversized.

Good looking revolver!
Andy

Edit to swap are for have sheesh!

Last Edited:
Love any of Sam Colt's offerings, especially if the chance of him actually putting his hand's on one of them is there! Never was a fan of the 1860 series, but that's just me, I still enjoy ALL of Colts designs, and this will be an awesome gift for your Daughter! I'm up for adoption if you need another kid!!!

Looks pretty good to me.
Most of the screws need a bit of "help" not too big of a deal.
Nice that the numbers match.
Cylinder scene look like it should.
I can't quite tell is the frame cut for a shoulder stock?
The screw that would hold the stock is flat ... Not a big deal , this was done a lot.
If it isn't cut it is a civilian piece.
How is the bore?
Does that barrel meet the frame good. And does "sit tight" not wobble?

The last question is subjective.
How does it "feel" when compared to the replica.
A original Colt has a distinct "feel"
Most of the replicas I have handled have slightly oversized.

Good looking revolver!
Andy

It doesn't have stock cut outs,nor can I find any trace if an acceptance cartouche on the grips.
I'm leaning toward a civilian piece as well (if original that is!)
It "feels" right..its very nice to have the CVA replica at hand to compare. As a matter of fact,they come As a pair.
The "original" doesn't have any of the Italian proofs,and it just seems to be better quality.
Of course if it's real,that would explain That!
Bore has some rifling,but it's pretty dark.
The hammer pulls back but has no spring tension.
I've had a couple pm' s since posting the pics,and between those,the comments here,and my gut feeling-I'm picking them up tomorrow :cool:

Last Edited:
Love any of Sam Colt's offerings, especially if the chance of him actually putting his hand's on one of them is there! Never was a fan of the 1860 series, but that's just me, I still enjoy ALL of Colts designs, and this will be an awesome gift for your Daughter! I'm up for adoption if you need another kid!!!

Have you been a good boy?
How are your grades?
Ok,this is getting awkward..
She might end up with the replica!

I promise to eat all my pees and carrots, Do my homework, and clean my room! LOL
Seriously, I'm getting a little Jealous, but it's cool none the less! Glad your getting her a nice and fun pistol for her to enjoy!!!

Gosh, STUKA! If I were on the receiving end of this, I'd rather have a nice working replica! No fuss, no muss, take it out for a walk with dad, once in a while! :D

One of the joys of a black powder revolver is cocking and releasing the hammer, breaking its fall with the thumb, not dry firing! Spinning the cylinder, dissembling and reassembling. You know, Fondling!
The 1860 Colt is the most Art Deco of firearms! Big, incredibly sleek and stunningly beautiful! I'm sure she will like it! :)

Sweet. If the bore isn't totally trashed it can probably be returned to "shooter" status
without too much grief. My Wilson's puts date of manufacture at 1863, so there is
a very real chance it saw civil war action.

Well,I just left the store..They are mine!
Bad thing is,I can't bring em home,because I didn't have enough cash.
I put a down payment on them,and will be scrounging nickels and dimes!
After another look this morning,I'm 100percent certain the one is real.
Thanks a lot guys!

Since you have a little time before you pick them up, you could do worse than see if you can find one of the many revolver books on Amazon. Might help with part identification, etc. Just a thought....

Enjoy the 2nd Gen Colts, basically made by Colt with parts from Uberti finished and assembled here. These will letter from Colt. Some of the 3rd Gen ones will as well, but not the later ones.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top