JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have had this gun for many years (don't remember where I got it from). It appears to be an original and is in very good condition.
I am looking for someone to verify that it is an original and I would like it appraised
Any help would be welcome
chris

Come on give us a chance to see it and weigh in.

If its in very good condition 99.9 times out of 100 its a reproduction.

What does the writing on the barrel say?

I have had this gun for many years (don't remember where I got it from). It appears to be an original and is in very good condition.
I am looking for someone to verify that it is an original and I would like it appraised
chris

You could take it over to my BIL and have him tell you...if you live near Duncan.

chris

The top of the barrel is stamped "Address Sam Colt New - York City
The barrel has an inscription of a Naval Sea Battle, with the words "Colt's Patent No 5893" (This same number is stamped on the gun butt, in front of the trigger guard, on the frame in front of the trigger guard number and again on the barrel in front of that. The number is also stamped on the plunger of the gun)
The cylinder also has the engraving " Engraved by W.L. Ormsby New York" and above the ship's engaged in combat the words "Engaged 16 May 1843

All lettering is in capital letters.

What is BIL? and how do I contact him/it???

Sounds real to me, but never know for sure. BIL = Brother in Law. He is quite into guns, especially pistols...He lives in Duncan, and belongs to that gun club west of town. If think you could meet up with him, I could PM you his phone number, and you could possibly arrange to meet at the Duncan Gun club. OR???

I did a little research...it appears that there have been reproductions of this particular pistol manufactured in Italy recently...are there any markings like "pia" or "Italy" anywhere on the pistol?

BTW: still legal in Canada as an antique pistol or reproduction of an antique pistol, but if it is real, it is worth quite a bit in original condition, not much if it is a repro.

What does "very good condition" mean to you? If the screws and wedge are not buggered, if there is a lot of blue left it is suspect. From your description it sounds real.

it appears that there have been reproductions of this particular pistol manufactured in Italy recently
Actually several Italian manufactures have been doing this for quite a long time, specifically from the '60s. I have an ASM (Armi San Marco) 1851 Navy sold through Connecticut Vally Arms so that roughly dates it. My point being there are enough out there and for such a length of time fakes made from the reproductions have been showing up for quite a while, but it has really gotten bad in the last few years and some are very convincing. Ditto on the pics please.

Actually several Italian manufactures have been doing this for quite a long time, specifically from the '60s. I have an ASM (Armi San Marco) 1851 Navy sold through Connecticut Vally Arms so that roughly dates it. My point being there are enough out there and for such a length of time fakes have been showing up for quite a while, but it has really gotten bad in the last few years and some are very convincing. Ditto on the pics please.

I wouldn't call the "fakes", I would call them "reproductions" as they are all marked somewhere with the country of Origin

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top