JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm a little curious why, in Oregon with one of the lowest firearm related crimes, you have to be 21 to buy handguns. Being 20 years old I own several rifles but handguns are a whole other story. Being over 18 I'm allowed to own a pistol but cannot purchase one from a licensed seller. Being able to buy from a private seller doesn't help much because no one who has the gun I want, wants to sell it. If the law is to help prevent handgun related crime, most people who commit the crime use stolen/illegal guns anyways. So why restrict rifles to 18 and handguns to 21?

I'm 90% sure it's against federal law to sell a handgun to someone under 21. It's a stupid law, but the law nonetheless

Yeah I was just reading about how its a federal law. I feel this should almost be a state law due to the vast differences in states. The reason I want a 357mag is because I do a lot of backpacking on my own and you never know what you'll run into. I wouldn't go out looking to shoot anything or want to, it would just be nice for worst case scenarios.

I'm 90% sure it's against federal law to sell a handgun to someone under 21. It's a stupid law, but the law nonetheless

21 year old thing is coded in the FFL regulation section of USC. It only applies to persons with FFL, including licensed collectors. Unlicensed persons can sell a handgun to 18 year old residents of their state.

(x)(1) It shall be unlawful for a person to sell, deliver, or
otherwise transfer to a person who the transferor knows or has
reasonable cause to believe is a juvenile -
(A) a handgun; or

(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed
manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or
deliver
-
(1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the
licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than
eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is
other than a shotgun or rifle
, or ammunition for a shotgun or
rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable
cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;

18 U.S.C. § 922 : US Code - Section 922: Unlawful acts

I'm a little curious why, in Oregon with one of the lowest firearm related crimes, you have to be 21 to buy handguns. Being 20 years old I own several rifles but handguns are a whole other story. Being over 18 I'm allowed to own a pistol but cannot purchase one from a licensed seller. Being able to buy from a private seller doesn't help much because no one who has the gun I want, wants to sell it. If the law is to help prevent handgun related crime, most people who commit the crime use stolen/illegal guns anyways. So why restrict rifles to 18 and handguns to 21?

Two things here: First, it is only illegal for a licensed dealer to seel a pistol to someone under 21...Private FTF is fine.

Why? Because most of the legislature is filled with irresponsible little brats that thought back on what they were doing at 18.

21 year old thing is coded in the FFL regulation section of USC. It only applies to persons with FFL, including licensed collectors. Unlicensed persons can sell a handgun to 18 year old residents of their state.

(x)(1) It shall be unlawful for a person to sell, deliver, or
otherwise transfer to a person who the transferor knows or has
reasonable cause to believe is a juvenile -
(A) a handgun; or

(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed
manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or
deliver
-
(1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the
licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than
eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is
other than a shotgun or rifle
, or ammunition for a shotgun or
rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable
cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;

18 U.S.C. § 922 : US Code - Section 922: Unlawful acts

Right on the money. I wrote a letter to the ATF which confirmed this back in 2011, which they responded to. As a 19 y.o their response is very helpful to me. When I'm able to find it I'll scan it in and attach it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top