JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I appreciate all the tips fellas. I've been doing some research this morning and I'm going to build up my own. I can save $500+ that way and it is not as mysterious as it appeared at first.

For the upper all you need is a bench vice and clamshell receiver block.
Most handguards will have the barrel nut and tool with it.
If not an armors wrench isn't much.

If the barrel isn't dimpled for the gas block those are about $30
Go all in for a pinned gas block with a jig from BRD
They have a universal one for $175 that I've been looking at.
It will cover all the ones I have.

Good choice; and in addition to the forum, there are probably several good sources in your area who can answer any questions you may have.

It's kinda funny . . . I've known several people who have sunk serious bucks into high dollar, big name guns and then wondered why they still couldn't shoot any better than a properly assembled 'just plain jane' of a gun (that cost 1/4 the price).

Additionally, all of the tools you get for the build are an investment, and probably will be used again, and again.

Last Edited:
At bare minimum I like the look of the KAC rail. Only Troy and MI make one that looks somewhat similar but I have not checked to see if they have any free float options. KAC for their part cannot keep anything in stock. That is pretty much hopeless.

I will do a little research this weekend on building my own. The only hesitation I have is investing in the tools, I'm not sure how much use I'd get out of them going forward. I'm not sure if it pencils out as I only have a couple receivers left.

I could be wrong, but I think we have met before. I might have sold you a Surefire light.. or maybe it was another Radian/X-Factor guy.

I know the owner of Radian and I always enjoyed talking to him when they were in town. Everyone says he is a talented programmer/machinist. It is very hard to find good machinists in the mid-Valley. This is a State worker town. It is not an industrial hotbed.

Is the same gal that spoke at the Capitol rally a few years ago? She is impressive. We'll probably all work for her one day.
The Larue quad rail kinda looks KAC-ish to me as well.

Edit - I don't think we have met. I am sure I would be into Radian because I like the high end stuff, but my interest in ARs has lessened since they came onto the scene.

If the barrel isn't dimpled for the gas block those are about $30
Go all in for a pinned gas block with a jig from BRD
They have a universal one for $175 that I've been looking at.
It will cover all the ones I have.
You definitely want to pin if your gas block is going to be exposed. BRD does put out some excellent tools, I've considered that universal one myself.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top