JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm no expert, but I do think my .22 is just fine for popping whistlepigs, and I've been having really good luck using my 60+ year old Mossberg 142 bolt action. I have a 10/22 and MP15/22 but prefer the Mossy.

The .22 is cheaper and I can shoot all day for a few bucks

Perhaps the .17 is more sexy, but a dead whistlepig is a dead whistlepig.

For serious longer range target personally I would look at the .22 CZ long barrel bolt action and find ammo it shoots really consistently. Rimfire - CZ-USA

For fun target plinking I would look at an AR type .22 because they r an absolute blast. Walther makes a couple great ones like hk 416 (both pistol and rifle versions) for around $350. Build quality is very high on those. Or if you want one with a standard AR trigger which can be swapped out for a binary trigger to give you 600 rounds per minute fire rate, the very plasticky 15-22 is an option. Also works well for pests:

Last Edited:

No more than 100yds, I'd say the 22. You'd be able to shoot for hours for $20 bucks. Currently you can get 22 for right at $0.03 per round.

If you want to reach past that, the 17HMR. But when you find it on sale for $10 for 50 rounds (about $.20 per round), you'd better buy a case of it. Usually it's $12-$13 per 50 (roughly $0.25 per round). The 17HMR is a flat-shootin', movin' and scootin' round. You'll be upgrading your rifle, scope and seeing how far you can stretch it after an hour or so. The 17HMR is a tack driving round in the right gun.

Depends on how long you want to target shoot, and what your targets are, and what your finances are, you might end up with both. Lol. ;)

Then again, I don't know your financial situation and $0.25 per round might be cheap to you. I'd say 17HMR if you can afford it.

No more than 100yds, I'd say the 22. You'd be able to shoot all day long for $20 bucks. Currently you can get 22 for right at $0.03 per round.

If you want to reach past that, the 17HMR. But when you find it on sale for $10 for 50 rounds (about $.20 per round), you'd better buy a case of it. Usually it's $12-$13 per 50 (roughly $0.25 per round). The 17HMR is a flat-shootin', movin' and scootin' round. You'll be upgrading your rifle, scope and seeing how far you can stretch it after an hour or so. The 17HMR is a tack driving round in the right gun.

Depends on how long you want to target shoot, and what our targets are, and what your finances are, you might end up with both. Lol. ;)

Then again, I don't know your financial situation and $0.25 per round might be cheap to you. I'd say 17HMR if you can afford it.
Thanks. Informative

Wide variety of 22 ammo, only a few for 17. :D

This is true. And they are roughly all the same. (Except that "low recoil" 22 crap from CCI)

22 has an average velocity (for "the cheaper stuff") of, what?, 1100-1200 fps? Yeah, it's higher for the more expensive stuff, but the "plinking stuff" is about that.

The 17HMR, regardless of brand, is all right around 1850-1875 (ish) fps.

22 is probably more readily available, in more places, than 17 too.

:s0155:

I've got both and we are overdue to get together.

Text me when you're up to try either.

If you don't have a rimfire at all, get the 22LR. I started with a Ruger 10/22, move to bolt actions for better accuracy, and have switch back to another 10/22. My current 10/22 is pretty accurate and a blast to shoot.

A 17 HMR will more likely be more accurate on targets, especially out to 100 plus yards, but the cost of ammo is considerably more than the 22LR. If you want to shoot and shoot a lot, the 22LR is the best way to go, but accuracy is only really good from 50-100 yards for the most part.

I had to have both and currently have a nice bolt action Ruger 17 HMR that I don't use a lot, and have thought about selling it but just can't bring myself to part with it. Doesn't get shot all that much because I have some really accurate .20 and ..22 caliber center fire rifles for 100-300 yards out.

.22 long rifle for fun and economy, Ruger 10/22, or S&W M&P 15-22 for high volume plinking fun, or CZ 455 or 457 or Ruger Precision Rimfire for more accurate long range target fun. Any of those can be effective on ground squirrels out to 75 yards or so, with 50 yards being better for more humane kills.
If varmints are your preference, the .17HMR is effective at more than double the range, and at closer range really anchors them. With the .22 lr, you will have a lot of crawl offs. I just received my new .17HMR barrel kit for my CZ 455 bolt action .22 lr. So, in 5 minutes, I will be able to switch over from cheap .22 lr (it seems to like CCI standard velocity the best at about .05 per cartridge, and is very accurate.) It might be even more accurate with some of the high quality target ammo, but I will never pay more for .22 lr ammo than I pay for .17 HMR ammo.
For me, if you want long range accuracy and hunting potential, the CZ is the best option with the potential of adding the .17HMR barrel kit later. (Mine was $145 + shipping from Midway) And I paid $297 at Bimart for my CZ 455 Standard .22 or a few months back.
Your choice, either way, they are a lot of fun.
One other consideration for the .17 HMR, some places that have more houses around don't want the noise of centerfire rifles and the .17 HMR is quiet enough so as not to offend. But still gives reliable performance out past 150 yards, if the wind isn't blowing too hard. If it is remote enough, I much prefer the .223 Remington over either for varmints.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top