JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm wondering how you that have purchased a .17 are enjoying it. I'm considering one for my wife for target shooting. I should add that she's a great shot but can hardly tolerate a .22 long rifle for noise.

I also wonder why Ruger hasn't made a 10-22 version of the .17?

Thanks for your comments!

Really like my 17 HMR for hunting sage rats. Never had much fun with it for target shooting at 100 yards due to the wind drift.

The crack of a 17HMR, at least to my ears, is significantly louder.

Ruger did make an auto but had problems with the blow back design. Several others did too, and it appears the concept has been abandoned.

The .17 hmr is a awesome round but it is louder than a .22lr the .17 is a necked down .22 mag.
There are or were some conversion kits for 10/22 mag and Remington 597 in semi auto in .17 from the factory but both have had problems with rounds going off before the bolt is fully closed which is dangerous. Remington discontinued making their semiautomatic 17 and had a recall on the ones they did offering to converting it back to a 22 mag. Ruger themselves I guess experimented with making a factory 10/17 HMR but we're having problems with rounds going off before the bolt was fully closed. Since the 17 HMR is a tiny around when the chamber becomes dirty it doesn't allow the round to fully chamber which doesn't allow the bolt to fully close but close enough to let firing pin to function for what I understand allowing the rounds to go off which can lead to cases splitting spitting brass out of the action and probably other things which is not good.

I really like mine. I find it to be VERY accurate to 100 yards in light wind. Its very comparable to my 22 mag sound-wise.

She's using hearing protection, right?

Of course. I thought my FN 5.7 x 28mm would be a great self-protection weapon for her but even with ear protection she could hear/feel the loud report.

In all honesty, I'm probably looking for an excuse to buy a .17. I'm sure I'm the only person on the board who's ever done that!:s0112:

You might want to check the fit of her hearing protection. If she's using muffs, make sure they're properly adjusted and have a good seal around the cups. If she's using plugs, make sure she's putting them in correctly. I see a lot of people who just kind of stick the ends of the plugs in the ears without getting a good seal, or letting the comb of the stock push their muffs out of place.

elsie

Early on I had a flinch - not from the recoil but the noise. And I wear foam plugs and ear muffs. More shooting will eventually solve that problem. And even if it doesn't, you get to go shooting more to work on it.

Maybe she just needs to do double protection

But the 17 is great cause it is soooo accurate.Any gun is this way from what I have heard.
The 22mag and the 17 are too long and skinny to cycle perfect in a semi auto.That's why you don't see either too much in a semi auto

I really like my cz 17hmr. I have a ruger 10/22 and would rather shoot the 17. Even though it's more expense. It's just a tack driver. The sage rats hate it also.

Your right no one else has ever used their the wife as an excuse to buy another gun. Lol

HotRod

I have a Savage in .17HMR, fun gun to shoot. And from what I understand, Hornaday (The H in HMR) has recommended that the .17HMR not be used for semi-auto applications because of the problems that were had with them early on, so don't hold your breath for a 10/17. But if you get the Savage, make sure to get some 10-round mags for it, the factory 5-rounder is just too small, I hate having to reload that often!

I have put more than 5000 rounds thru my bolt action Marlin HMR .17 and have not a single issue. (an occasional cracked casing, but ONLY with Hornady ammo ballistic tip, red) Its been used for when dead on accuracy is required for sage rats. Those shots at 200 yards a 22 probably wont hit. I personally think my 17 shoots better in windage than my ruger 22 or 22 mag at 100 yards. Call me crazy but I have the rat piles to prove it. Get one.

I have put more than 5000 rounds thru my bolt action Marlin HMR .17 and have not a single issue. (an occasional cracked casing, but ONLY with Hornady ammo ballistic tip, red) Its been used for when dead on accuracy is required for sage rats. Those shots at 200 yards a 22 probably wont hit. I personally think my 17 shoots better in windage than my ruger 22 or 22 mag at 100 yards. Call me crazy but I have the rat piles to prove it. Get one.

I agree. My 77/22 Mag, although an expensive and beautiful gun, can't group like my Marlin .17HMR with the heavy barrel.

Okay. I am reading between the lines, and what I surmise from that is that you have a female partner who is objecting to the loudness of a .22 Long Rifle from a rifle that might be equivalent (or actually same) as a Ruger 10-22.

If this is her first introduction to shooting, you have started WAY beyond ANY tolerance level for beginners (even if willing). There is a substantial camp of shooters that wrongly believe that "anyone can handle a little .22". NOT SO! NOT even so for a person wanting to learn, who has never actually detonated a firearm in their hand.

The very BEST training gun for not only familiarization, but marksmanship is a good quality air rifle. The willing pupil can with these guns not only develop proper shooting form, they deal only with a very inconsequential (but certainly present) report, and of course no recoil.

If that is not within your realm, then I would recommend .22 Shorts or CB caps toward the same end: developing comfort and accuracy with the shooting experience. Those who recommended good ear protection are supplying good advice.

I will fly in the face of those saying "you need a suppressor", and fly once again in the face of those who brag about their personal triumphs about group size, when that was not your question.

The .17HMR is NOT the solution to the problem. It will be found in much more modest (and perhaps retractive and protective) motions. You want a shooting partner. Think about the other things she joined you with in being a partner. You were gentle and careful, and protected her.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top