Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

.17 hmr

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by needs2hunt, Feb 23, 2009.

1. needs2hunt

needs2hunt Tacoma Wa. Member

well my kid, he's 18 is thinking about getting a .17 hmr.. would this be a firearm capable of taking coyote's I know they'd be good for rock chuck...:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

2. ZeroRing

ZeroRing 26th District, WA Active Member

Hmmm... if he hits them in the eye, probably. Anywhere else, probably not.

3. uscsoldier

uscsoldier Salem, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I shot a yote at approx 80ish yards with my .17, I hit it dead center in the chest and it droped it. I was shooting CCI 17 HMR, 20gr Gamepoints:thumbup:

4. ZeroRing

ZeroRing 26th District, WA Active Member

Hmmmm... perhaps I was a bit hasty then in my assumption that the .17HMR boolit is just too small for medium-sized game. :eek:

5. OFADAN

OFADAN Brownsville, OR Well-Known Member

.17 HMR will work on a yodel but you're looking at 75-80 yards as maximum effective range-tops! They work and work well as long as you know it's range limitation.

6. XD45

XD45 Salem, OR Member

I would have to agree with OFADAN, it will take a yote down, however 80 is about the max distance. And as always shot placement is always key.

Happy hunting, I love my New England .17HMR.

7. Yester

Yester Troutdale Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Yep me too! my .17 is one of my favorite rifles and it gets Yotes no prob just not at long distances... Perfect first rifle too... Ammo little expensive though.

8. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

9. solowars

solowars Lake oswego New Member

I just picked up a savage stainless 17hmr, took it up over the weekend and shot under a inch at 100 yards. The hornady ballistic tips are the way to go, out of the 5 17HMR rifles including cz and ruger that ive shot the best groups are with that ammo. i will post pics when i get my camera working again.... And go with savage over marlin, savage has a thicker bolt and a accutrigger that breaks like glass. Also either way you go it is a good idea to fluff and buff your action i did and now its smooth like butter. Also i mounted a bushnell banner 6-18x50 scope and i couldnt be happier....

10. needs2hunt

11. uscsoldier

so I went out to the range today and I brought my .17HMR for a test. I shot a 2X4 at 100 & 200 yards. At 100 it blew a quarter size hole out the back of the 2X4. At 200 it blew a dime size hole. I forgot my camera but I'm gonna do this test again with some other materials and I will take the camera next time.

12. Frog

Frog Vancouver, Washington Member

Like yester said, the .17 ammo is a little spendy.

I converted a Ruger 10/22 to .17 Mach 2. Check out the balistic numbers. At 100 yards, there's basicly no difference using Hornaby ammo.

And the bonus is, that the gun can easily convert back to 22 for a cheap day of paper shooting. :thumbup:

Frog.

13. uscsoldier

$10 for 50 is expensive :confused:

14. Frog

Frog Vancouver, Washington Member

$10.00 for 50 rounds of .17 is a very good price! I'm can't say I've seen it that cheap for a while. Where do ya get 'em?

The Hornaby .17Mach 2 is $6.50 for 50 at Joes and I just got 500 rounds of Remington for $33.50 (including freight) from Centerfire Systems. I see they are now $44.99.

Then the Federal .22's 'Bakers Brick' of 525 at $14.97 from Bi-Mart, all makes for some pretty inexpensive shooting.

But you're right, $10.00 for 50 rounds is not 'expensive'! :thumbup:

Frog.

15. crazytimme

crazytimme Tacoma area Member

Another option is the good old .22 mag. now that the .17 has brought back the popularity of magnum rim fire their are new .22 mag rounds hitting the market. 3 poly tipped (similar to .17's) two of which are 30 gr. leaving the rifle at 2200 fps, and a new hollow point from cci with similar speed. The the bonus is ammo ranges from about $8 to $15, and you can select the right tool for the job.

And my 77/22 mag can put a group of five shots under a quarter at 100 yards with the Remington 33 gr poly. Maybe not under a nickle like a .17 but at least it will still kill the coyote, but might miss a mouse at that range.

16. uscsoldier

17. USMC1911

USMC1911 Salem Active Member

Bimart has 17hmr for $10 a box most of the time.

18. torpedoman

torpedoman land of corrupt politicians Member

my opinion is 100 yds easy, 120 max

19. ZX10Aviator

ZX10Aviator N. Bham Member

If your going to shoot coyotes why not just get a more capable gun? My .223 throws them down when I hit them..

20. needs2hunt

well, we've got a savage 30.06 bolt action rifle, and a cetme and a Fal but and now a couple of ak's, a couple of 22 rifles and a mosin .want something with alittle less kick ... so was thinking the 17 hmr... for the fun of it...:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: