JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Personally, I wouldn't think so. That being said, shot placement can make all the difference in the world. When the 17HMR first came out I watched videos of coyotes being torn apart by them so I bought one. Even though they fly around 2250FPS, I don't think a 17 or 20 grain projectile will do the damage shown in the videos. I took it prairie dog hunting and it does a great job killing those little suckers. Mine is accurate out to 285 yards. Haven't checked for accuracy past that.

And no, the prairie dogs did not explode or split in half....was greatly disappointed in that. But it is an accurate rifle!

Definitely accurate but not much impact energy at range. My buddy was hitting our 8" plates at 300 yards, so it can reach out a ways.

Yes 17 is great for coyotes. I'd say effective to 200. I think the longest shot I had on one was 220, got him in the neck. Usually go for the spine, if within 100 yards and you've got a good hollow point, it will drop them instantly with a head or spine shot.

If hunting clear cuts and such, I think it would be a great caliber for them. If out in open high desert I'd say go a bit bigger.

I am mostly a ground squirrel shooter! And coyotes commonly show up to clean up the left overs. I have shot a few coyotes with the 17 HMR just because that was what I had handy! Yes , if you hit them well it takes them right down. No I would not choose the 17 HMR to hunt coyotes.
A 17 cal bullet hole through the heart and lung seems to let them run some distance before they drop. Where an equal hit with a 223 [ and larger] seems to drop them in there tracks.
When hunting ground squirrels it usually in open ground, so if they run 10 or 20 yards its no big deal. you just walk over and pick them up.
But in the brush and high weeds if you lose sight you may not find them again. Just as dead but they have a knack for finding hiding places.
I shot one once with a 22 LR, right through the neck. It cut a main artery, Because I could see blood spray everywhere . But I could not find the carcass. I went home and got one of our labs to find it for me. The coyote had crawled unto a hole in some tree roots that I could not believe it could fit into. But there it was! Without the dog I never would have found it! DR

Taken several with my 17 but limit myself at 150 - 200 yards as placement is key. It still can be effective with a lung/heart shot but is marginal imo. If windy I move up in caliber as that little bullet really gets pushed by the wind. If its what I had on hand it would be what I use.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top