Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

.17 hmr and kevlar vest

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Kaniffy117, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Kaniffy117

Kaniffy117 Edmonds Member

Hey all, as the title says Im thinking about the .17 hmr and kevlar vest. More specifically, can a FMJ round weave through the kevlar similarly to the P90's 5.7x28 fmj round. The ballistics may not be the same but the speed at which they both travel is nearly identical and they both have flat trajectories. I know the 5.7 was designed as a PDW round meant for going through soft body armor hence why we cannot buy FMJ rounds unless were government, LEO's and so forth. The .17 hmr is also similar to the 4.6 x 30mm shot by the MP7. Both the MP7 and P90 rounds were designed to pierce soft body armor but can the .17 hmr FMJ possibly pierce through atleast a level 2 kevlar vest? I have a level 2 vest and Im thinking of doing the test but I also want your guy's opinion on this. What do you all think?

2. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Check your fact again. 5.7 FMJ is not illegal or special in any way. The SS190 has a steel penetrator and is considered AP. Just like all other AP ammo for pistols it illegal this is too.

FN 5.7×28mm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. errackeleo

errackeleo None Member

I'd like to shoot a vest and find out if my ps90 or USG will penetrate

4. Kaniffy117

My bad, I did not see that, however could you answer my question please. Im not asking about the 5.7, im asking about .17 hmr FMJ and possible armor penetration capabilities if any. Also can you find any 5.7 in FMJ for sale to civilians legally on the internet? Or in stores? Right now all Im finding is Hollow point ammo or V-max bullets all designed to expand in the target as I am to understand.

5. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

It is highly unlikely that a very light weight bullet from the 17HRM will penetrate even if FMJ because it still has a soft lead core. With the very low mass of the 17gr bullet it does not take a lot to defeat it.

If you want to do the test and have the stuff to do it I say go for it. Please post the results of your test.

6. Kaniffy117

next time I take the .17 out I will test at 25, 50, and 100 yds to test effectiveness of the bullet against the level II armor

7. Kaniffy117

Well today I took out the .17 and did my test, unfortunately for me being that Im a moron I forgot to take pictures... Needless to say I shot 4 rounds at about 15 yards using CCI FMJ 20 grain .17 hmr and all 4 rounds at 15 yards did penetrate the level II vest, one was partially fragmented inside the vest. Also the reason why I forgot pictures, I was too busy having fun ruining my shoulder to a mosin nagant I recently bought and by the time I remembered I should have taken pictures the vest was already tattered to pieces by my .45 and the 9mm my friend brought. So it comes down to taking my word for it or doing the test yourself, this was a sloppy test seeing how I did the test at a shorter range than I wanted and I never took pictures of the actual damage but hey I had fun with it and the vest itself? yeah its gone. :laugh: