166.490 opinions

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Smiddy, Apr 29, 2013.

  1. Smiddy

    Hillsboro, OR
    Active Member

    Likes Received:
    Opinions on the below. Having never looked myself I just assumed I was only able to do FTF firearms purchases from other Oregon Residents. But this says otherwise. What am I missing? That oregon allows it but none of the contiguous states allow it so law is moot.

    166.490 Purchase of firearms in certain other states. (1) As used in this section, unless the context requires otherwise:

    (a) “Contiguous state” means California, Idaho, Nevada or Washington.

    (b) “Resident” includes an individual or a corporation or other business entity that maintains a place of business in this state.

    (2) A resident of this state may purchase or otherwise obtain a rifle or shotgun in a contiguous state and receive in this state or transport into this state such rifle or shotgun, unless the purchase or transfer violates the law of this state, the state in which the purchase or transfer is made or the United States.

    (3) This section does not apply to the purchase, receipt or transportation of rifles and shotguns by federally licensed firearms manufacturers, importers, dealers or collectors.

    (4) This section expires and stands repealed upon the date that section 922(b) (3) of the Gun Control Act of 1968 (18 U.S.C. 922(b) (3)) and regulations pursuant thereto are repealed or rescinded. [1969 c.289 §§1,2,3,4]
  2. solv3nt

    Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Section 490 is definitions...
  3. drew

    Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    FTF across state lines violates federal law. There's been a couple of debates about this statute concerning this statute but it was dealing with buying from licencees.

    Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons | ATF
  4. accessbob

    Molalla, OR
    2A Supporter

    Likes Received:
    You can buy a LONG GUN from an FFL in another state, but you can NOT buy a handgun like that, the transfer of that needs to occur in your own state. So, they would have to ship to an FFL in your state. PRIVATE transfers of ANY KIND need to occur with an FFL IN YOUR OWN STATE. So a private person can come to Oregon to sell to an Oregonian provided the transfer happens at an OREGON FFL (and the FFL has to agree to do the transfer as many may not want to do private transactions).

Share This Page