JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Opinions on the below. Having never looked myself I just assumed I was only able to do FTF firearms purchases from other Oregon Residents. But this says otherwise. What am I missing? That oregon allows it but none of the contiguous states allow it so law is moot.

166.490 Purchase of firearms in certain other states. (1) As used in this section, unless the context requires otherwise:

(a) "Contiguous state" means California, Idaho, Nevada or Washington.

(b) "Resident" includes an individual or a corporation or other business entity that maintains a place of business in this state.

(2) A resident of this state may purchase or otherwise obtain a rifle or shotgun in a contiguous state and receive in this state or transport into this state such rifle or shotgun, unless the purchase or transfer violates the law of this state, the state in which the purchase or transfer is made or the United States.

(3) This section does not apply to the purchase, receipt or transportation of rifles and shotguns by federally licensed firearms manufacturers, importers, dealers or collectors.

(4) This section expires and stands repealed upon the date that section 922(b) (3) of the Gun Control Act of 1968 (18 U.S.C. 922(b) (3)) and regulations pursuant thereto are repealed or rescinded. [1969 c.289 §§1,2,3,4]

FTF across state lines violates federal law. There's been a couple of debates about this statute concerning this statute but it was dealing with buying from licencees.

Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons | ATF
Q: To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

You can buy a LONG GUN from an FFL in another state, but you can NOT buy a handgun like that, the transfer of that needs to occur in your own state. So, they would have to ship to an FFL in your state. PRIVATE transfers of ANY KIND need to occur with an FFL IN YOUR OWN STATE. So a private person can come to Oregon to sell to an Oregonian provided the transfer happens at an OREGON FFL (and the FFL has to agree to do the transfer as many may not want to do private transactions).

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top