JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What's the deal folks....i was asked to fill this out when doing a private person to person transfer through a local in home ffl.
Is this a new thing or an old obsolete form

20170427_203203.jpg

Last Edited:
Anyone else have something to say about this...any other Ffl guys...this is really awkward to fill out...ive done it twice now...
Awkward to see a piece of paper that says registry on it and signing my name

I've only done one transfer of a previously owned rifle from a member to me. It was done at "Money Market Pawn" on SE Powell in Portland. There wasn't any thing but the standard 4473 filled out by me. I'd suggest you don't patronize an in-home FFL if you don't like the form.

Is this form a way of not doing ffl transfers maybe...two private guys can use this to not need an licensee to do it?...basically an Ffl holder does not need to do this form...ive done about 15 transfers this year alone and havnt seen this form other than the last 2 times at a brand new home based ffl

I'm not engaged in the business of buying or selling or trading firearms, so I'm going to leave worrying about it up to those that are in that business.

ORS 166.427 - Register of transfers of used firearms - 2015 Oregon Revised Statutes

Whenever a person engaged in the business, as defined in 18 U.S.C. 921, of selling, leasing or otherwise transferring a firearm, whether the person is a retail dealer, pawnbroker or otherwise, buys or accepts in trade, a used firearm, the person shall enter in a register the time, date and place of purchase or trade, the name of the person selling or trading the firearm, the number of the identification documentation presented by the person and the make, model and manufacturer's number of the firearm.

That form has been shrouded in mystery as the state is making more work for local law enforcement.

I am required to provide that completed form only when taking a firearm into inventory, not for transfers. (I was completing it for transfers until I called the sheriff's office and asking to have a quick chat about what they wanted.) Washington County was kind enough to even give me a fax number as well so I save a stamp as well as have a record it was received.

I hope this is helpful, I agree that the 4473 should have the bases covered and don't need threats of legal action against me when taking a firearm off the street. (Not like any dealer wouldn't check the serial number before opening the cash drawer anyway...)

Jeremy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads