JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Have been browsing the Internet, but haven't found more than a couple references for powder in this particular weight.

Any of you use these pills in 9mm? If so, what powders and charge weights are you using?:eek:

Thanks in advance!

160's were pretty common in 38 Super so this might provide a frame of reference (definitely not saying you should load to this level in a 9mm). I've used 6.0 gr of WW540 (HS-6 now) with 160 gr lead rn. (Not reloading advice disclaimer). This was from a Jan/Feb 1989 American Handgunner article for the 38 Super.

$.01 (Because my post is likely not worth two cents.) Good luck on the quest.

Have been browsing the Internet, but haven't found more than a couple references for powder in this particular weight.

Any of you use these pills in 9mm? If so, what powders and charge weights are you using?:eek:

Thanks in advance!

@DizzyJ I load 165gr 9mm for my subs, love this round. Xtreme is the only one I know that has them, FMJ-RN. This is where mine comes from. For powder, it needs to be low volume as the 165 is a TALL* round that goes deep in the case for the proper OCL. I am using 3.0gr of TiteGroup and they run flawlessly.

*NOTE: The OCL is an issue with SOME headstamps when loading the 165gr 9mm bullet. Cases with thick webs in them will have chambering issues with the 165 as the deep/tall round will PUSH the outer walls outward as it seats to the correct OCL. This will lead to cases not passing a check gauge or thunk check in a chamber and can get "stuck" as the cartridge feeds not letting the gun go into battery. (Fun trying to then rack it out)

The problem headstamps are:
FC
RP
S&B (worst, very thick web)
A USA
Xtreme (yes the very brand of the bullet will not feed correctly with their own cases)

The cases I keep separate that work great for loading the 165gr are:
Blazer
WIN
Speer
Starline

This last group loads and feeds great. 165gr is a very soft shooting sub round very quiet and a nice satisfying "Thunk" downrange when it hits the backstop!

@DizzyJ I load 165gr 9mm for my subs, love this round. Xtreme is the only one I know that has them, FMJ-RN. This is where mine comes from. For powder, it needs to be low volume as the 165 is a TALL* round that goes deep in the case for the proper OCL. I am using 3.0gr of TiteGroup and they run flawlessly.

*NOTE: The OCL is an issue with SOME headstamps when loading the 165gr 9mm bullet. Cases with thick webs in them will have chambering issues with the 165 as the deep/tall round will PUSH the outer walls outward as it seats to the correct OCL. This will lead to cases not passing a check gauge or thunk check in a chamber and can get "stuck" as the cartridge feeds not letting the gun go into battery. (Fun trying to then rack it out)

The problem headstamps are:
FC
RP
S&B (worst, very thick web)
A USA
Xtreme (yes the very brand of the bullet will not feed correctly with their own cases)

The cases I keep separate that work great for loading the 165gr are:
Blazer
WIN
Speer
Starline

This last group loads and feeds great. 165gr is a very soft shooting sub round very quiet and a nice satisfying "Thunk" downrange when it hits the backstop!
I've read about certain brass having issues. I've got a bunch of bullseye, some unique, CFE pistol and a couple others but no tite group red dot or power pistol.

I've read about certain brass having issues. I've got a bunch of bullseye, some unique, CFE pistol and a couple others but no tite group red dot or power pistol.

Your CFE Pistol is probably the lowest density of bullseye and unique. Looking around at the load date for 147g with CFE, I see loads like 3.7g. Personally, I would translate that too 165gr bullet to be about 3.2 of CFE, of course starting lower and working up to that.

Your CFE Pistol is probably the lowest density of bullseye and unique. Looking around at the load date for 147g with CFE, I see loads like 3.7g. Personally, I would translate that too 165gr bullet to be about 3.2 of CFE, of course starting lower and working up to that.
Appreciate the info.

Went out to the range and tried these out.

2.8 was too weak and caused a stove pipe first shot. 3.0 and 3.2 cycled just fine. Bullet impact was higher on the target (what I'd expect from a heavier, slower bullet).

Not a bullseye type of group, but satisfactory for the amount of effort I spent shooting. The smaller middle group was charges 2.8 and 3.0 and one 3.2 GR at 15 feet. The outer four shots were all of the remaining 3.2 GR at 30 feet.

Recoil was soft at 2.8 and 3.0 and a little more stout at 3.2

All of these shot out of a Walther PPQ which has close to 9,000 rounds through it.

I also used mixed brass and had no problems with federal, CBC or any of the other military brass. All functioned fine once I got the bullet seated far enough and got the taper crimp set.

image.jpeg

Loaded up close to 100 of these again tonight @3.0gr of CFE Pistol. Some single stage on the RCBS and the majority on the Dillon 650.

Interesting note;
The RCBS RN seating die flattens the tip on the bullet a fair amount. The Dillon seating die leaves a pointier end. Neither one appear to perfectly fit the round nose profile of these Rainier plated Bullets.....

Last Edited:
I've had better luck with faster powder and heavy bullets.

I use titegroup with my 165s 2.8 gr will cycle any pistol or carbine I have, suppressed or unsuppressed. And it is spooky quiet with a can.

I was doing 165 Xtreme plates round nose with 4.2 grains of BE-86 sat to 1.15 through my 8" CMMG and they were all at around 1000 fps. Great subsonic load.

Finding 165s though!?!? To be honest I haven't looked in a bit.

Contact RCBS they gave me replacement seating tips for free. None of them worked with the pointed part of the Extreme bullets and always put a little press ring in them.

Easy fix just make a mold for the bullet for a better fit.
  1. Pull the seating tip/piston, clean the ID of it with acetone and a q tip real good.
  2. Take one of whatever bullet you are loading and cover it with light grease. (I use gun grease since it's on the bench)
  3. Mix up a small amount of JB weld epoxy. (classic stuff has the highest useful PSI)
  4. Using a toothpick carefully put a small amount of JB weld into the seating tip. It does not take much.
  5. Push the greased bullet into the JB weld, making sure it's as straight as you can make it.
  6. Wipe away any excess JB weld. Let it harden/Cure correctly
  7. Once fully cured, pop the bullet out and use a knife to trim any excess JB weld from the tip.
  8. Let it cure a little longer with the bullet out, then install and use. It will be a perfect mold fit.
I have messed with toothpicks and rubber bands around the setting tip/piston to help keep the bullet vertical as possible.

I have different setting tips/pistons for different bullets. BUT mostly I try to keep loading ones with the same profile. The Xtreme 115 and 165s have the same profile so I mainly load them.

I have ran 165 X-tremes and Ibejiheads . Don't remember my load offhand.

I liked them, steel poppers no problem.

I started with Nitro 100NF, super soft, but too fast for that heavy.

I was doing 165 Xtreme plates round nose with 4.2 grains of BE-86 sat to 1.15 through my 8" CMMG and they were all at around 1000 fps. Great subsonic load.

Finding 165s though!?!? To be honest I haven't looked in a bit.
DG Bullets has 160gr coated lead, if that would work for you all. $.105-$.09ish/pp shipped, depending on quantity.

Looks as they are shipping within 1-2 weeks now.

-No history with DG, did just put an order in for range bullets though.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top