JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A friend asked me to work up a load for his 7mm REM MAG elk rifle for him. He was happy with the sub-MOA loads I made up for him last year in his .243WIN deer rifle. I asked what kind of bullet he wanted to use, and he said a 165 grain soft point. He specifically asked not to use an HP or polymer tipped hunting bullet.

So, I know nothing about .284 bullets and had a hell of a time finding one in 165 grains in my online research that is a soft point. I see 160 grain, 175 grain and even a 162 grain Hornady. I did find Federal Premium factory cartridges in 7mm Rem Mag with a 165 grain Speer SP bullet. I emailed Speer but they only said the 160 & 175 grain bullets were for sale (ignoring my explicit question about 165 grains in the Federal cartridges).

So, I would like to confirm from folks that (assuming I can find them in stock somewhere) I should tell my friend 160, 162 and 175 grains are his choices, short of pulling 165 grain bullets from brand new factory loads. I'm not worried about brand.

Thoughts?

I'm not seeing any 165 grain offerings either and no loads listed in any of my manuals. That tells me that even if you could find a 165 grain bullet it may not be a reliable source, better to stick with a known manufacturer and a popular bullet weight.

Specifying 165 grain SP isn't much to go on when you consider bonded versus non-bonded and partition techniques like the Swift A-Frame and Nosler Partition. You might go back to him with a few suggestions and see which he'd prefer to use. If it were me I'd offer the 160 grain Nosler Partition as my top suggestion.

Specifying 165 grain SP isn't much to go on when you consider bonded versus non-bonded and partition techniques like the Swift A-Frame and Nosler Partition. You might go back to him with a few suggestions and see which he'd prefer to use. If it were me I'd offer the 160 grain Nosler Partition as my top suggestion.

I agree Steve. I appreciate your looking. I like the Nosler and Speer offerings myself ,but from what I read, if you keep the Hornady under 2950 fps you have good performance and no jacket separation as well. Some of the choice will come down to availability.

I'm going to recommend a bonded 160 grain bullet and assuming I get the go-ahead, see what I can actually buy.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top