JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Definition of Semiautomatic Assault Rifle

According to the I-1639, semiautomatic assault rifle will be defined as:

"

Any rifle which utilizes a portion of the energy of a firing cartridge to extract the fired cartridge case and chamber the next round, and which requires a separate pull of the trigger to fire each cartridge. "Semiautomatic assault rifle" does not include antique firearms, any firearm that has been made permanently inoperable, or any firearm that is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever, or slide action.

"

If you have a c&r license it will not be affected by 1639. There is a line in the law th 1639 doesn't apply to c&r qualified firearms. Without a c&r i falls under 1639 and all of its regulations is what i have read.

What are you trying to accomplish? When I bought my M1 carbine as barreled receiver + a box of parts, I was able to take it home the same day, without a waiting period. The transfer was done through a FFL of course.

What are you trying to accomplish? When I bought my M1 carbine as barreled receiver + a box of parts, I was able to take it home the same day, without a waiting period. The transfer was done through a FFL of course.
That's because you were technically transferring a "receiver" not a complete firearm. I wish I could find a deal like that...

Kinda what I was looking for. If you strip an ar lower you can do same day transfer. So when buying from a private party you're able to do same day transfers of an "entire" rifle without having to do any 1639 BS.

So if a private party strips the garand you don't need to do 1639 stuff?

Kinda what I was looking for. If you strip an ar lower you can do same day transfer. So when buying from a private party you're able to do same day transfers of an "entire" rifle without having to do any 1639 BS.

So if a private party strips the garand you don't need to do 1639 stuff?
I personally would do it as two separate transactions; the barreled receiver on 4473 and the "parts kit" on a separate transaction elsewhere.

Kinda like a bunch of BS SO-CALLED Laws via Queen Kate in Oregon that are nothing more than UNLAWFUL and
"WHO'S GOING TO ENFORCE THEM!!!!!!"

Well I'll just leave y'all w/ THIS:

"16 Am Jur 2d, Sec 177 late 2d, Sec 256:
The general misconception is that any statute passed by legislators bearing the appearance of law
constitutes the law of the land.
The U.S. Constitution is the supreme law of the land, and any statute, to be valid, must be In agreement.
It is impossible for both the Constitution and a law violating it to be valid;
one must prevail.

This is succinctly stated as follows:

"The General rule is that an unconstitutional statute, though having the form and name of law is in reality no law,
but is wholly void, and ineffective for any purpose;
since unconstitutionality dates from the time of it's enactment and not merely from the date of the decision so branding it.

An unconstitutional law, in legal contemplation, is as inoperative as if it had never been passed.
Such a statute leaves the question that it purports to settle just as it would be had the statute not been enacted.
Since an unconstitutional law is void, the general principles follow that it imposes no duties, confers no rights, creates no office, bestows no power or authority on anyone, affords no protection, and justifies no acts performed under it.....

A void act cannot be legally consistent with a valid one.
An unconstitutional law cannot operate to supersede any existing valid law.
Indeed, insofar as a statute runs counter to the fundamental law of the lend, it is superseded thereby.
No one Is bound to obey an unconstitutional law and
no courts are bound to enforce it."

Last Edited:
CMP still insists that even with C&R they have to ship to FFL here, IIRC.
From CMP - Rifle shipments to WA must be made to licensed dealer or may be shipped directly to the customer if a C&R license is provided.

According to CMP C&R is GTG for WA.

Last Edited:
C&R is an FFL 03 license. As a C&R license holder, I had an M1 Carbine shipped to my door within the last year. The OP cannot however get it shipped to a C&R license holder as we can't do firearms transfers. Tom
I guess I could have it shipped to a c&r holder. Have them remove the receiver. Then transfer it to me like that. But that may be considered a straw purchase and I'd rather not risk breaking the law.

Other than the Cluster Fick that ARs have,
the serial numbered part, IE the Receiver, IS the Firearm.
Having a Bbl attached changes nuthing..

I am an Oregon resident, & have transfered, both bought & sold,
M1 Garands thru Wa FFLs w/o any issues....

I don't see where the problem is..

Spinning off a Bbl doesn't change anything.

As a C&R the Rcvr, The Rcvr w/ Bbl, ie a Bbl'd Action, Or the the complete rifle are all the same as far as BATFE is concerned.

Just saying...

Other than the Cluster Fick that ARs have,
the serial numbered part, IE the Receiver, IS the Firearm.
Having a Bbl attached changes nuthing..

I am an Oregon resident, & have transfered, both bought & sold,
M1 Garands thru Wa FFLs w/o any issues....

I don't see where the problem is..

Spinning off a Bbl doesn't change anything.

As a C&R the Rcvr, The Rcvr w/ Bbl, ie a Bbl'd Action, Or the the complete rifle are all the same as far as BATFE is concerned.

Just saying...
True, but here in WA a complete rifle gets 1639'ed and Backdoor Registered while a barreled action without the rest of the gun does not. State-level law vs Federal--Chomo Joe's ATF stormtrooper's aren't the worry, it's Kiddie-Diddler Jay and Buttbangs-Little-Boys Bob's.

Gotcha.
Isnt there still a bunch of BS in Wa state that got legislated that if you handed a stripped lower to a friend to look at you just committed a felony for not having done an FFL transfer..!??

Gotcha.
Isnt there still a bunch of BS in Wa state that got legislated that if you handed a stripped lower to a friend to look at you just committed a felony for not having done an FFL transfer..!??
Not that I know of, and I try to watch this crap pretty close. They ended up relegislating part of I594 UBC's so basically "temporary transfers are kosher as long as the owner remains present." For example, you borrowing one of my rifles at the range is cool since I'm there, you holding it for me while I go get the ATV to haul your deer out is not.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top