Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Washington 1639 and semi auto shotguns

Reactions
Hello,

I have been pretty up to speed on 1639, but a recent conversation has had me second guessing myself on a certain topic.

Under 1639, how is the purchase of a semi auto shotgun effected? Do you waive your medical records forever to the state like on a "SAR" or handgun? Can you walk out with it same day? Is it subject to the new fee? Can I get one shipped to my FFL?

I know pump shotguns are not effected and I know this may be redundant but there is just so much nonsense involved with 1639, its hard to keep it all straight on certain days. Im sure you all can relate..

Thank you

User 1234

Reactions
Is the shotgun transferred with a rifled barrel? If so, it is a “rifle” and if semi auto is a “semi automatic assault rifle” which must be transferred under 1639 procedures.

Red98422

Reactions
Is the shotgun transferred with a rifled barrel? If so, it is a “rifle” and if semi auto is a “semi automatic assault rifle” which must be transferred under 1639 procedures.

Wait a minute, really?!?!? Damn :eek::eek::eek::mad::mad:

User 1234

Reactions
I imagine 99.999999% of rifled slug barrels sold in Washington these days for 1100, 1187 and 930’s are being bought as parts and not installed on the new gun.

OP
Osprey_360
Reactions
Thank you for your responses. Are most 930's, 1301's and VEPR 12's going to come smoothbore from the factory/dealer? Would hate to order one and then be surprised upon arrival.... A Keltec KSG is tempting just to avoid any hassle.

So a shotgun can be semi auto (gasp) and have a smoothbore and be free of 1639 bs?

Thanks so much

Reactions
Hello,

I have been pretty up to speed on 1639, but a recent conversation has had me second guessing myself on a certain topic.

Under 1639, how is the purchase of a semi auto shotgun effected? Do you waive your medical records forever to the state like on a "SAR" or handgun? Can you walk out with it same day? Is it subject to the new fee? Can I get one shipped to my FFL?

I know pump shotguns are not effected and I know this may be redundant but there is just so much nonsense involved with 1639, its hard to keep it all straight on certain days. Im sure you all can relate..

Thank you
I1639 made no changes for buying a shotgun. Pay, fill out 4473, pass instant background check and take it home.

Reactions
Well the vepr's you won't be seeing come from the factory anymore since they were banned from import into the USA a couple years ago.

However they're all smooth bore originally.

Still legal to own, buy/sell/trade though. Just can't import any new ones from russia as Molot got added into the Kalashnikov ban.

Reactions
"Rifle" means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger."

NEW CLASSIFIED ADS

LATEST REVIEWS

• Mary's Pistols
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic small business with equally excellent folks running the place. I was given fair value for a trade in and was able to order something I...
    • Red98422
  • Gooseneck Road
    4.00 star(s)
    Very popular service road with some unmarked logging roads that branch off of the main. Relatively cleaned up from what we saw. I just wish that...
    • Benzdriver81
  • Liberty Safes of Oregon
    5.00 star(s)
    I have now purchased 2 Safe’s and constantly recommend people go here. You get better quality than the other liberty safes made for places like...
    • Motojohonda
  • Supporting Vendor Lucky Sporting Goods
    5.00 star(s)
    Just dropped by today to pick up a rifle … this is what a gun store should be! None of the crotchety bluster and BS that so many other gun stores...
    • DLS
  • Supporting Vendor J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    I'll put in a good word for J&B Firearms Sales in Beaverton, on Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy (across the street from KFC and BiMart). I've always had...
    • RVNvet

Staff online