JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A1352385-EDFF-42D3-B3AD-E921F2C3A1AE.jpeg

This 4x4 bull I shot in the Sky Lakes Wilderness stopped the bullet that killed him.

2BE10B7C-263B-4246-B03F-700ACFF5D07D.jpeg

140 grain Partition out of a 7mm-08. Perfect performance.

P

Use them. They are almost perfect. Unless you want a partition or solid copper it's the next best. But stay away from the ABLR or any of the thin skinned fancy flying bullets.

I shot a 160 gr Sierra in my sako 7mm mag for about 100 years, give or take about 40 years, with amazing accuracy, in game they fragged pretty bad. then I discovered Noslers and became a Nosler snob.
I have an AR-10 in 7mm-08 that loves the 140 gr. I have several brands loaded up but my Noslers are my go to for serious work

My experience with the ablr has been very good. I have had great success with 129gr ablr bullets out of 6.5cm. I was a bit worried about closer ranges but so far it has been stellar on three large bodied mule deer. One was at about 50 yds, one about 100yds and one about 600yds. Performance was great at all distances and resulted in quick humane one shot kills. Can't speak of other chamberings or weights with the ablr, but in the 6.5cm the 129gr is a great match.

I've had good results with accubonds on deer and elk, with 2506 and .308. Shot a 2 pt mulie at maybe 40 yards in the brush, using .25-06 110 gr accubonds. Shot him at an angle in the chest since he was facing me. Bullet formed a decent mushroom with very little fragmentation, and found it just inside the hide, back by the rib cage. I think that's pretty good for a high velocity round at that close range to not fragment a lot.

Have shot several other mulie bucks with .2506 110 gr accubonds at anywhere between 70 and 100 yards without a problem. Also got very lucky to shoot a spike bull at less than 35 yards with .308 165 gr accubond -- twice through middle of the shoulder. He ran about 15 yards. With that same load I shot a 5x6 bull at 125 yards twice through the lungs. Walked a just few yards.

I've used other 2506 and 308 bullets like the nosler partition (which I think were in Nosler's "light magnum" 308 loads, and their 165 gr Custom ammo), Winchester Failsafes (.308 150 and 180 gr), sierras, old remington corelokts, etc. But the accubonds have been great for the 2506 and 308.

All it took for me was one well hit bull that didn't die. Bullet didn't open up at all. Found the bull 3 days later (after the season ended) with a little blood stain on each side of him right through the vitals. Upright and walking around with the herd seemingly unaffected.
I will never use Accubond bullets ever again!

Not trying to change your mind, just sharing a story as to why my mind is made up.
Even if the bullet didn't expand but still hit vital the bull would die apparently you didn't hit vitals, I say that because iv had a bullet go plum through an elk pencil holes through the vitals and she fell over dead after what seamed like a few mins.

Nosler makes a great product. I was blessed with the chance to shoot for both Nosler and Barnes ballistics labs. 2 years at Nosker, 5 years at Barnes. I grew up in Oregon and have been a monolithic bullet hunter since 1991. Started at Barnes in 2000. Your question revolves around your belief of bullet performance. After shooting many animals from 1998 to 1990 with lead core bullets, and after shoiting my first animal with a mono in 1991, my mind was changed. The difference in bloodshot meat was dramatic. Mono's for the win. First two years with Barnes, 2 deer from 35-250 yards and lost a 4" piece of meat around the exit on both, not the whole shoulder or ribcage like lead cores. In my opinion a 160 Barnes TTSX is the hands down choice. In all honesty shoot what uou're confident in and shoits best in your rifle. If you try Barnes, they like to be pushed hard. Play with seating depth if you can move closer to the rifling. Start at least .050" off the rifling.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top