JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Published August 27, 2013
Associated Press

A 16-year-old who fought off an apparent wolf attack in northern Minnesota says he won't be sleeping outside anytime soon.

Noah Graham, of Solway, was camping on Lake Winnibigoshish with five of his friends last weekend. He tells The Pioneer of Bemidji he was talking with his girlfriend just before the animal chomped the back of his head early Saturday. He says he had to reach back and jerk his head out of its mouth. He says he kicked and screamed at it, but it left only reluctantly.

Graham says his girlfriend fled to her Jeep, while two others in their group slept through all the screaming, kicking and fighting.

The Department of Natural Resources think it's the first documented serious wolf attack on a human in Minnesota.

Read more: 16-year-old survives first-ever documented serious wolf attack in Minnesota | Fox News

I have been around and rasied wolves and that is not the behavior of a wolf !
Dave Mech of the International Wolf Center is in Ely Minn.
I would like to see what he says about this.

Also a wolfs bite is about 1500 PSI and reaching behind is not going to dislodge it.

This makes much more sense.
I have more faith in not being harmed by wolves than
around most humans.
This one looked pretty lean and nearly starved.. Couldn't hunt.
Most likely a loner, shunned from the pack.

<broken link removed>
DNR investigating apparent wolf attack on 16-year-old boy at campground in northern Minnesota
Kamp Dels CampgroundOn Lake Sakatah in Waterville, MN Water Park, Pools, Petting Zoo kampdels.com

MINNEAPOLIS — A canine believed to be a wolf chomped the head of a 16-year-old boy who was camping on Lake Winnibigoshish in north-central Minnesota, the Department of Natural Resources announced Monday.

The teenager survived what the DNR called an "extremely rare" attack, but a wolf with a jaw deformity was trapped and killed in the area early Monday, said Tom Provost, regional manager for the DNR's enforcement division in Grand Rapids. Rabies test results on the animal are expected Tuesday or Wednesday, he told reporters.

The DNR has no records of another serious injury or fatal wolf attack on a human in Minnesota before, he said. The only two recorded wolf attack fatalities in North America in the last decade were in northern Canada and Alaska.

Assuming it's the same animal, Provost said, the wolf's jaw deformity is probably the reason it attacked the youth. While the male wolf was a normal 75 pounds, he said it would have had difficulty killing prey and likely was scavenging for food around the campground. Other campers told DNR officers an animal had bitten through their tents that night, puncturing an air mattress, and one camper said he saw a wolf near his campsite with similar colors and markings to the animal that attacked the teenager.

It was, and it did. This may be the first "documented" case in modern Minnesota, but its far from the first case of attack/kills.

Wolf attacks on humans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Read closely there were 2 in Canada and some that people tried to raise, but the rest were mostly in Europe. The European wolf is a different bird. They learned to feed off the bodies during the great plagues.
The North American Grey Wolf is not prone to attacking people period. They are generally shy and will leave an area when people approach. There hasnt been anyone killed by wild wolves in the US. There have been some attacks by captive non socialized wolves and wolfdogs. Not from those in the wild. You are more likely to be attacked by wild dog packs than wolves. Shyness is part of their survival instinct.

I got that part Taku, but the fact remains. I'd be willing to bet this won't be the last in my lifetime. With everyone wanting to transplant a non-native species into an area that they are not indigenous to its only a matter of time. One has only to look at the devastation of ungulates in areas where they have been introduced (not reintroduced) to see this. The species of wolf that WAS indigenous to this part of the world was closer in size to this underfed, malnourished supposedly crippled wolf. Don't get me wrong Taku, I've lived in areas of Alaska where the wolfs howl brought a smile to my face at night, but given the reality that those actually are a native species and not an introduced predator I know they have no place here. You have your convictions and I have mine, obviously they differ, lets let that hopefully be the only disagreement we have. Cheers.

I got that part Taku, but the fact remains. I'd be willing to bet this won't be the last in my lifetime. With everyone wanting to transplant a non-native species into an area that they are not indigenous to its only a matter of time. One has only to look at the devastation of ungulates in areas where they have been introduced (not reintroduced) to see this. The species of wolf that WAS indigenous to this part of the world was closer in size to this underfed, malnourished supposedly crippled wolf. Don't get me wrong Taku, I've lived in areas of Alaska where the wolfs howl brought a smile to my face at night, but given the reality that those actually are a native species and not an introduced predator I know they have no place here. You have your convictions and I have mine, obviously they differ, lets let that hopefully be the only disagreement we have. Cheers.

They are the same as the wolves that used to follow the buffalo herds. You are thinking of the Mexican wolf, but they didnt range this far north. They are smaller. The North American Greys are the same that were there for thousands of years. They average about 65 to around 125 lbs with some reaching up to 160 or 180, but not common.
Men keep screwing with nature.
First killing them all off, then repopulating them, but idiots wont do it right. Healthy control goes out the window with emotions.

Yeah I do have a soft spot for them, but also understand the population needs to be controlled. They have built the packs up and now let them go beyond a healthy number. That only leads to problems for all.
A few good packs keep the deer and elk herds strong, but too many can decimate them as well. eco nuts and wolf haters are both extremists and there is a middle ground that has to be reached.

The cougar population is soon to be a more serious issue. Before long they will be stalking joggers and kids. They are far more of a near future problem in Oregon.
They each require 50 sq miles as a base territory and they have already saturated the wild areas and now moving into urban areas.
Examples, Wilsonville, Newberg, lake grove and Lake Oswego, Gresham (twice near a grade school) and it will get worse if they dont open up hound hunting again.
Dogs are the only effective way to hunt them.
We did a lot of mountain photography from crater to ranier and unknowingly captured cougar watching us from overhead rock formations. We didn't see them til we were home editing and burning backups to cd's and dvd's.
Made us think about how many must actually be there. Southern Oregon and the central cascades especially are over populated and now its getting that way all over western Oregon.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top