JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good info in this thread , one more school of thought . Shorter , stouter barrels suffer less barrel harmonics . Some barrel makers believe if you go with the shortest practical barrel for your needs in velocity, you will inherently have a more accurate barrel , especially in a semi auto .

my thoughts, as others have mentioned its not clear of your intended use.
while based on a whole bunch of stuff and long story short I will always build my own. For a semi auto precision based rifle regardless of small or large frame lower I always start with the barrel, barrel extension and bolt. my last build used a 18" PacNor polygonal bore barrel with a rifle length gas system (more reliable, less recoil pulse, "my opinion"). I bought the barrel extension and bolt and sent it to them to have it all matched up. everything else is plug and play.

the 308 is very forgiving with shorter barrels as others have mentioned. I have seen some really short barrel rigs in other parts of the world reach out and smack targets at distance.

now for close in stuff (400m and in,non Hunting) that's what I have a Fal for. :D

WTS OR - Sig AR10 716 patrol
I'm looking for a little advice, I'm going to buy an AR-10 and I was going to get a lesser quality (PSA, DPMS, etc..)18", but they are a little harder to find. Then I started considering a more expensive (Sig) with a 16". What are your thoughts from an accuracy standpoint? I plan to shoot this from 200-800 yes a lot. I have other AR-15's but this will be my first AR-10. I'm not overly fond of dropping 2200 on a Sig, but I don't want to buy a 750 PSA and load it up with gear (trigger, stock, etc...). I guess it really boils down to what has Sig owners shot their 16" barrels out to accurately.

Thanks for the advice and help

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads