JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I just got a S&W 627. Not a Performance Center, but I think I will somehow still manage to have fun with it.... :)))

As everyone but me seems to have already known - the 627's cylinder is slightly shorter than the 686 and people have posted with problems using 158 gr bullets. The gist of the problem is that, for 158 RN's, the OAL is just a little too long for the chamber.

Have any of you encountered this?

Do any of you know the max OAL for this gun?

Montana Gold makes a 142gr bullet (.38/142gr FMJ - 1,000ct revolver) --- have any of you tried this?

Lastly, where would you go to find load data (2400 or 231) for this kind of odd weight....?
(I shoot at paper, but still want to feel some punch)

Sorry. Lots of questions.... too much coffee....

f

So I just got a S&W 627. Not a Performance Center, but I think I will somehow still manage to have fun with it.... :)))

As everyone but me seems to have already known - the 627's cylinder is slightly shorter than the 686 and people have posted with problems using 158 gr bullets. The gist of the problem is that, for 158 RN's, the OAL is just a little too long for the chamber.

Have any of you encountered this?

Do any of you know the max OAL for this gun?

Montana Gold makes a 142gr bullet (.38/142gr FMJ - 1,000ct revolver) --- have any of you tried this?

Lastly, where would you go to find load data (2400 or 231) for this kind of odd weight....?
(I shoot at paper, but still want to feel some punch)

Sorry. Lots of questions.... too much coffee....

f
I encountered that problem with Keith style SWC 170 gr cast bullets in my pinned and recessed Model 28. They work fine (barely) in my GP-100 and SP-101. My model 28 has no issues with the more common 158 gr cast SWC bullets.
Picture shows the following Bullets and OAL:
Hornady 158 gr XTP-HP 1.585"
Speer 158 SP 1.589"
Falcon 158 SWC 1.610"
T & B ,170 SWC 1.645" (too long for Model 28)
Hope this helps. IMG_20180917_101413.jpg

Xtreme makes a 158rn cast bullet that has a stubby/wide nose profile but I don't have measurements off hand. If you want to shoot cast that might be an option or perhaps have Arsenal molds make a custom mold for you if you cast. The cast bullet handbook is your friend for the more uncommon bullet weights and profiles. You would have a lot more choices with cast/coated bullets. If it was me I would look for some data closer to the 142 grain jacketed you have there, but failing to find that I would look for a 158gr jacketed with a similar profile and try that starting load and work up. I don't think the 142gr is going to be deep enough in the case to cause an issue. Assuming that the 142gr fits, you might find that a medium speed powder like universal or n540 or be86 (something in that area) provides plenty of oomph while burning more completly. This is based on my experience with 4" barrels mostly.

Interesting that hodgdon has data for a 146gr jhp-- Set your sights on pistol reloading data | Hodgdon Reloading

That's closer perhaps that will help you?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top