JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was able to go out and shoot my first reloads in 300 BLK.
This test was performed with my 300 Blackout pistol build with a 10.5 inch barrel with a 1 in 8 twist and a pistol gas tube, with iron sights while laying prone at 35 yds.

I made 6 different loads with Hornady 150g FMJBT bullets and W296 starting at 15.5g (minimum) & high to 17.2g (17.5 max)
15.5g was good with a B.E. on the first shot!!!
16g kind of all over the place
16.4g had 3 touching & 2 wild ones so I will reload this one and retest it since it was the best group of all.
16.8g was in the groove but was probably my most comfortable shooting position.
17g showed pressure signs on casses, not very good on paper either.
17.2g pressure signs.
20171010_153204.jpg 20171011_153456.jpg
I was really surprised that these test cases (once fired Hornady and Barnes) which had to have the military crimp taken out, they where shocking to say the least with 4 popped primers!!!:mad: That was an eye-opener as I have removed the military crimp out of thousands of 223/556 cases and never had a problem with the primers. This problem was probably is due to the high pressure of the 300 Blackout load vs. 223 in 556 and I do not have a chronograph to measure.
I have 100 or so of the Hornady and Barnes cases left that are primed and I will do a test to see if it's the removal of the primer pocket which it may have not been consistent on my part.:mad:
The best part about this test session was that there was not one FTF/FTE, I am so happy on this respect.;)

And I could have finished this post in 10 minutes but no oh oh oh, y'all got to keep making that alert popup come up on the screen many times today, do you really like me that much???:p:p:p

Last Edited:
I love reloading the 300 blackout and love shooting the round. Sometimes you do not need a reason :p I have documented my journey with the 300blackout over 15 pages Journey With The 300BlackOut : Day At The Range with just about 100 different loads I have tried in 4 different rifles. I still enjoy it and plan to keep expanding.
I have actually read this before. I just bookmarked it for future reference. Great info, and being such a new cartridge with very little data available...those of us that work with it, and post our experiences online are laying the foundation for those that do in the future. Kinda cool to get into a cartridge in its infancy that seems to have a solid foothold in the industry, and appears to be here to stay. Thanks for sharing!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top