JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would not want my 15 year old to put a bullet in the neighbors ex, even if he thought it was going to prevent the guy from killing her. If it's someone in the house or on the property, doing it to one of our own, that's a whole other thing. For this situation, Dial 911, call the police.

Third party interventions seldom work out well for the third party. Are you willing to gamble your freedom, that you fully understand what is happening in front of you? You had better be right, and have folks that will testify to the fact that you are.

This lady will likely as not, testify against this kid. Who will you rely on protect your family for you when you are in jail? No respected self defense instructor would advocate what the kid did here, that I am aware of.

I'm glad anecdotally, that the bad guy didn't kill the neighbor lady and that the kid looks like the hero. As Mark W aptly pointed out, there are a lot of missing details.

At best, and I sincerely hope it is, it's a clean shooting and this kid has to live with the fact that he took a human life to save one. Which is a lot for a 15 year old to have to deal with.

Agree 100% WITH THE REPLY .
to many left-out details . 'maybe' just due to fact that the shooter is 15 yr. minor .

plus in this (report as, ongoing history) domestic violence . Just because he was beating or threatening her verbally with death along with physical blows .
Does not mean that she (in her twisted way) . does not love him . No Guarantee she will stand-up/behind the party that shoots the abuser of her . You could get screwed in the worst way legally with her in the seat against you,
There is right & wrong and you better hope all goes Right for you after you pull a trigger, in what you think is life & death situation . Old saying . no good deed goes unpunished .
-

huh my wife has family that lives there, might have to give them a call.

THE saving grace of this is that its a minor. I have seen women with a busted up face from their husband/boyfriend beating them stand up and claim they were a "good XXX" and that they loved them. Any female too dumb to leave an abusive relationship gets no sympathy from me.

Well, here in WA state, it is legal to use deadly force to stop someone from attacking another person. But in DC, maybe not so much!

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

huh my wife has family that lives there, might have to give them a call.

THE saving grace of this is that its a minor. I have seen women with a busted up face from their husband/boyfriend beating them stand up and claim they were a "good XXX" and that they loved them. Any female too dumb to leave an abusive relationship gets no sympathy from me.

If your able to shed anymore light on this, I for one would be interested. Granted it will be all second hand hearsay, but that's all a reporter on the news is without a police report. Thanks in advance.

Well, here in WA state, it is legal to use deadly force to stop someone from attacking another person. But in DC, maybe not so much!
-
No it's Not . it's Rarely ever just Legally cut & dry . saying ... "I'm Not going to be lawfully Prosecuted, For Killing ".
Killing is Never Legally Just Black & White .
Either way you cut it, no matter what . Your going-in cuffs for processing . ( After that- Maybe released or Maybe Not ) . then, It's going to a Grand Jury for decision For possible finding for prosecution .
-
For this news report ? . What if this incident reported here is only ' Fisticuffs '. for the, " Alleged Abduction '' ?
There not even saying if the aggressor even was in posesion of a weapon . News Clip said ..." The couple had history of domestic abuse in past ".
Only statement made is that ... " Attempt Abduction " .
Know where does it say ..."Attempted murder". -or- ..."Violent Attack ". -or- ..."in fear of Life ". -or-..." deceased has history of Violent behavior ".

Also Where did the youth come from ?
Where did the youth/minor, get the firearm he used ? - did he walk-up carring it ? - Did he fight the 'deceased' alleged aggressor and take possession of weapon then ?
This is a pretty bubblegumty report with No Facts to make any decision that your ( NOT GOING TO JAIL ) .

THIS quote: ---> . Campbell County sheriff's officials say ..." a 15-year-old boy fatally shot a man who was ' trying ' to abduct a woman in Wright ".

Agree 100% WITH THE REPLY .
to many left-out details . 'maybe' just due to fact that the shooter is 15 yr. minor .

plus in this (report as, ongoing history) domestic violence . Just because he was beating or threatening her verbally with death along with physical blows .
Does not mean that she (in her twisted way) . does not love him . No Guarantee she will stand-up/behind the party that shoots the abuser of her . You could get screwed in the worst way legally with her in the seat against you,
There is right & wrong and you better hope all goes Right for you after you pull a trigger, in what you think is life & death situation . Old saying . no good deed goes unpunished .
-

Very true and close to home for me. The other night a neighbor was screaming bloody murder and I ran outside with my pistol in my robe pocket. Luckily the guy saw the odds of beating a 5' woman vs a 6'2" guy and stopped when I ordered him to and sat against the wall when I asked. Had my hand in my pocket I can only assume he knew why. I called the cops and the woman did not want to answer the door let alone press charges. Luckily I did not draw or have anything close to a physical confrontation but after talking to me the cops begged the woman to press charges and took the guy away for "just the night" since she did not want to. Crazy thing is when I walked out she looked at me scared to death and said "please call the cops". Then that love of her abuser took back over. It is a sad crazy thing. Had I had to react she would have probably rather seen me in jail. Pathetic that when someone asks for help you have to ask yourself "do they really want it"?

-
No it's Not . it's Rarely ever just Legally cut & dry . saying ... "I'm Not going to be lawfully Prosecuted, For Killing ".
Either way you cut it, no matter what . Your going-in cuffs for processing . ( After that- Maybe released or Maybe Not ) . then, It's going to a Grand Jury for decision For possible finding for prosecution .
-
For this news report ? . What if this incident reported here is only ' Fisticuffs '. for the, " Alleged Abduction '' ?
There not even saying if the aggressor even was in posesion of a weapon . News Clip said ..." The couple had history of domestic abuse in past ".
Only statement made is that ... " Attempt Abduction " .
Know where does it say ..."Attempted murder". -or- ..."Violent Attack ". -or- ..."in fear of Life ". -or-..." deceased has history of Violent behavior ".

Also Where did the youth come from ?
Where did the youth/minor, get the firearm he used ? - did he walk-up carring it ? - Did he fight the 'deceased' alleged aggressor and take possession of weapon then ?
This is a pretty bubblegumty report with No Facts to make any decision that your ( NOT GOING TO JAIL ) .

THIS quote: ---> . Campbell County sheriff's officials say ..." a 15-year-old boy fatally shot a man who was ' trying ' to abduct a woman in Wright ".

I have a 15 year old boy that I have been teaching to shoot since he was 10 or so. What you are saying is very accurate especially where the ef did the kid get the gun? My boy has no way to get a gun unless he can drag me over to my safe and put my finger on the bio metric reader while I sleep through the whole thing. He also knows better than to even try. He would either wake me or if he was alone he would call the police and stay the hell indoors as I have told him many times. Maybe get a good look at the car if you can. Other than that he is a kid. Something bad goes down he hides...not fights. That is my job and he darn well knows it as should all kids that age.

I agree with a number of you (Fast Eddie, JustShoot and 40CalRuler). There are too many details left out, and I even searched a bit on the internet to see if I could find more. I am pretty sure I do not want my kids making that judgment call. It is a very slippery slope and could quite easily end up with the "good Samaritan" being deprived of their freedom. I was talking to an attorney recently about self defense cases and he said the important thing to remember is that law enforcement will always get a bigger pass on shooting someone than a civilian ever will, so you better be real sure before you pull that trigger.

I hope it works out well for that young man and that he has in fact stopped a serious crime from happening, but more details will need to be seen. For my kids though, the biggest tool in their arsenal is a phone with which they can dial 911 in such cases.

I agree with a number of you (Fast Eddie, JustShoot and 40CalRuler). There are too many details left out, and I even searched a bit on the internet to see if I could find more. I am pretty sure I do not want my kids making that judgment call. It is a very slippery slope and could quite easily end up with the "good Samaritan" being deprived of their freedom. I was talking to an attorney recently about self defense cases and he said the important thing to remember is that law enforcement will always get a bigger pass on shooting someone than a civilian ever will, so you better be real sure before you pull that trigger.

I hope it works out well for that young man and that he has in fact stopped a serious crime from happening, but more details will need to be seen. For my kids though, the biggest tool in their arsenal is a phone with which they can dial 911 in such cases.

Yeah it is not something any of us that want our kids to be raised properly to even have to go through. Even if the kid is totally in the right and they do not charge him with anything and call him a hero he will always have to live with taking someones life. That is not a light load on a grown man let alone a young teen. I would never want to have my kid have that on their conscience right or wrong. When you are a grown man you can cope with things a lot better but no matter the outcome one way or another that kid is going to be changed for life. What is done can never be taken back. Accepting that at that age I do not wish on anyone no matter the situation. Hero or not.

-

That is if they decide to file charges.

"He says Fears and the woman had a history of domestic violence going back a few years."

Just suppose that the woman had more arrests than Fears in that history of violence. It wouldn't be the first time that two alcholics, etc, went at it frying pan to hammer! It's a potentially very bad thing to stick a bullet into. Dial 911!

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Hell, I don't even think civilians are allowed to even own guns in DC...

WY news paper rather than the Washington DC in the OP
Man is fatally shot in Wright - Gillette News Record: Local News

Couple of random thoughts
In Wright, WY - how close are the cops? Minutes away, or 10's of minutes?
http://goo.gl/w5lX3L

I agree the boy needs some counseling, taking someones life will affect you.

There are legal reasons to defend another human being. If not, then the police cannot defend you. You could not defend your family.

The Gillette paper needs a subscription for the follow up
<broken link removed>

Wright man shot to death at home

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR