JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Going to try some 147 grain. 9mm. Never had and a recent bullet order I made I asked if they would throw a few in for me to try.
I am thinking of using Unique powder as it appears to provide the highest velocity with the 147s.
I will be shooting then in my CZ and PCC.
Any loading hints or pitfalls I might encounter with 147s ?
I am not loading these specifically as 'subsonic' to use with a suppressor so we can eliminate this part.

Loading is loading so I know you've got that part, with the 147's they have a long olgive so plunk test, make sure they aren't too long for the magazine and that they feed and load correctly.

make sure they aren't too long for the magazine and that they feed and load correctly.
Just did this with an empty brass case.

Did a 'action seat' of a bullet and it looks like I have room to spare with so I'll seat the bullets a couple 'thou' deeper and they will be fine.

Alliant shows 4.3 of Unique as a max so I'll round down to an even 4.0 and give it a try!
IMG_2079.JPG

I've heard of some having trouble with the ogive contacting the rifling lands on CZ barrels with heavier 9mm bullets such as 147s due to fairly short distance in the chamber.. The only 147 grain 9mm I have experience with is the Berrys plated Round nose FMJ. These worked fine without needing to seat the bullet too deep in the 9mm brass. I was using WSF powder as I recall.

if you haven't already, I would verify the dummy round you made passes the plunk and spin test in your CZ barrel to ensure no issue with the bullet and OAL you were planning to use. Have fun once you have loaded some up; to me the 147 grain has a different recoil feel in 9mm than the lighter Bullets.

Yea - all I have on had right now that seems adequate for a 147 grain load is Unique.

I see Titegroup shows a load but I think it is a bit on the 'fast' side to provide a decent burn rate for the 147 grain bullet.

I use the same bullet in my .38 Spl. with 3.5gr. of bullseye, but the same load is very dirty in the 9mm.

The #7 is a compressed load with the 147gr. bullet in the 9mm, but I haven't had any problems with it
in my 469 S&W. :)

I use the same bullet in my .38 Spl. with 3.5gr. of bullseye, but the same load is very dirty in the 9mm.
Actually this was a consideration as well but maybe in medium .357 loads .

These Badman 147s 'mike' at .357 so they should shoot well in .38/.357 I am thinking.

147s are fun for quiet plinking.

I use Unique or Titegroup as that's what I've got a ton of. I try to shoot for 800-900 FPS.

My .469 S&W was shooting way low, so I had Greg @ Greene's Gun Shop mill off the front sight and dove tail the slide for a Glock fiber optic. I still was about 5" low @ 25 yds. with 125 gr., so I worked up a load for my 147 gr. Now it's right on POA @ 25 yds. :)

Last Edited:
Good topic.
When I start reloading 9mm, the info here may come in handy.
I been lazy. The press sits in the box in my cave. The bench material is in the shop, ready.
I need a kick in the keyster!!

I load the 147's in 9mm as a sub-sonic load around 960 fps and in my 38 super right around 1250 fps. I also down size 158's to .356 and shoot them in my 38 super as gong bongers.

i like 147's. they run well in my pistols and rifles i wouldtype morebut braces on hands make it hard with two fingers.

i run cfe pistol.

Stopped by the LGS where I used to shoot in GSSF matches yesterday looking for RMR bullets. They typically have a whole shelf full of them since RMR is located in that town and the owner shoots in GSSF matches at that shop.

I went in and there were only 2-3 boxes of 250 left and they were all the RMR 147gr TC flat points. Owner said he couldn't move them and offered me a crazy good price, so I grabbed them.

I have run into issues with 147gr bullets in the past and my early Gen 5 G19 since they had shallow throats. I'd send it in for Glock to fix, but it is very accurate and I don't want to start over developing loads for it.

I like slower powders for 147's. AA#5 and CFE pistol burn very clean. Titegroup is too hot for lead lubed bullets in my experience.
The magma 147 bullet mold most commercial casters use does not have an ogive contacting the rifling problem. The bullet starts tapering pretty early. The 115 gr mold has a big problem with it because of the round bullet nose profile.

My family's prefered carry 9mm is the 147gr HST. We worked up a load for training using 147gr plated TC bullets from RMR and Weidener's (Armscor IIRC). Unique matched the factory velocity with a just slightly under max load. Used the same COAL as Federal and saw more than acceptable ES and SD numbers for pistol rounds. Recoil is indistinguishable to my hands and POI is nearly identical out of my PM9 and G26. WSF burned cleaner but didn't quite hit the velocity.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top