JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is very sad. My heartfelt condolences to the family.

I often speak calmly about the importance of the rules for target shooting on public lands. But now I'm going to yell.

KNOW AND LEARN THE RULES OR GET OUT! OUR KIND OF RECREATION DEMANDS THE UTMOST RESPECT FOR PERSONAL AND PUBLIC SAFETY. YOU CANNOT SHOOT IRRESPONSIBLY

<broken link removed>

Last Edited:
Took me a while to figure out this was in Utah.

Scary scary stuff.

With the popularity of the Wolf Creek areas, I've seen an uptick in people finding unsafe areas to shoot.

I'm hoping I can get out to patrol a bit more in times to come.

Sad that our forest services have such little budget to aid in patrolling these areas.

Although this is not in Oregon or Washington, it reflects on all recreational shooters.

Terribly sad, a real tragedy. As a former desert rat, I'm not going be quite as quick to indict the shooter...

Yes, you are responsible for every round you fire, but I've seen some equally irresponsible behavior from 4 wheelers and dirt-bikers. One example that comes to mind is a group of moto-jockeys using the backside of "our" berm as a ramp... yep, they knew we were shooting in that direction but decided to deliberately jump directly into our impact area anyway. You've never heard so many strangers yell "CEASE FIRE!" at the same time.

I'm not saying that's what happened here... the story is a little light on facts.

I'm also not attempting to blame the victim... an innocent 14 yr old boy is dead from possibly an "errant" round. But the shooters are static whereas the vehicle is mobile... I'm not quite ready to hang the shooter just yet.

Last Edited:
From what I read the shooter should have done his due diligence and known the road was behind his targets. The laws are clear and this guy made us all look bad!
Half of the people I stop to talk to these days only see the berm. Hell there is a tiny berm up at NFWC area that people are using now that shoots right into the 4 Corners trail and literally in the direction of highway 26. I swear every time I'm up there I have to stop and ask them if they know what the hell they are doing.

My favorite is, oh ya, I guess your right.

The Sheriff said the person who fired the shot was target shooting and told investigators they couldn't see the Kemkes' vehicle through thick brush, and had no idea a road was nearby.
Reading between the lines I interpret no defined backstop and shooting through the brush.

thankfully this is rare, but its a real concern for me driving by the lanes or off Salmonberry... both places Ive been swept by a muzzle just driving by. And I know a couple popular spots off Salmonberry that continue to be used that have no backstop just woods...

This is awful. People should really scour their areas before engaging in target shooting. Drive in a big circle for at least a couple mile radius and make sure you aren't aiming toward something you ought naught.

Great... more fodder for the "think of the children" and "we would be safer if you could only have midevil weapons" crowd... We are all embassadors while shooting on public lands, utilize good diplomacy and follow the rules.

My condolences to the family of this child.

In reviewing the rules for shooting, I see at least 4 that were designed to prevent this kind of thing.
  • No person shall shoot carelessly, recklessly, or without regard for the safety of any person, or in a manner that endangers, or is likely to endanger, any person or property.
  • No person shall place targets on trees or shoot trees for any purpose.
  • No person shall shoot across, from or along any road, trail or body of water.
  • Persons engaged in target shooting shall utilize an appropriately sized, natural backstop.
For a more complete list of common rules: Common Public Land Shooting Rules
Also on that page are links to official rules.

Yes, you are responsible for every round you fire, but I've seen some equally irresponsible behavior from 4 wheelers and dirt-bikers. One example that comes to mind is a group of moto-jockeys using the backside of "our" berm as a ramp... yep, they knew we were shooting in that direction but decided to deliberately jump directly into our impact area anyway. You've never heard so many strangers yell "CEASE FIRE!" at the same time.

I was on Bay 12 at ARPC about, 7-8 years ago when some kid on a dirt bike came down the side of the mountain directly in front of me. Probably 12-13 years old.. I put down my AR and ran at him waving my arms with a string of expletives not fit for print, and he got outta there asap, real sheepish and hunkered down, not wanting to make eye contact for a second. So I can attest that this kind of thing does happen.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top