JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sorry to be insensitive, but if Kuntzman still had his Man Card when he shot that horrific AR 15 it was permanently revoked by a 14 year old girl. He is still eligible for a gender neutral participation trophy so long as it doesn't have anything offensive, intended or otherwise, to any race, gender, religion or unspecified intersectionality yet to be defined.

Sorry to be insensitive, but if Kuntzman still had his Man Card when he shot that horrific AR 15 it was permanently revoked by a 14 year old girl. He is still eligible for a gender neutral participation trophy so long as it doesn't have anything offensive, intended or otherwise, to any race, gender, religion or unspecified intersectionality yet to be defined.

What's the point of this comment?

Probably for the well to do, but guns were damn expensive by that days standards, heavy as all hell, and like purchasing a new car
In 1836 a Leman trade rifle was $12-15...
A Hawken was $25 ....
Both of these rifles were sold at Ft. Union for those prices ...So please note that those prices were "Mountain prices"...as in what they were sold for to trappers , traders and valued at in trade for the tribes....
Firearms were not that expensive back in the day...
As far as weight...most long rifles are in the 7-9 pound range and most Plains rifles were in the 10-12 pound range...hardly heavy as hell....
Andy

A Hawken was $25 ....
Both of these rifles were sold at Ft. Union for those prices ...So please note that those prices were "Mountain prices"...as in what they were sold for to trappers , traders and valued at in trade for the tribes....
As far as weight...most long rifles are in the 7-9 pound range and most Plains rifles were in the 10-12 pound range...hardly heavy as hell....
Andy
I'll take your word for it.

Well I do own and shoot a couple ....:D
Also I have done loads of research on the guns that I do own...so if you want resources for my claims...I can get those...
Andy
DSC05463.jpg

Ok I'll take the sources since you're offering. Love some good info.
The easiest and fastest resource for prices on items used in the American fur trade in the west is
Supply & Demand
The Ledgers & Gear of the Western Fur Trade

By Oliver McCloskey and Scott Olsen.
These guys didn't "write" the book , but collected and made copies of the actual ledgers and letters of some of the most famous fur traders and posts ...
So no fiction here , just a journal or ledger entry....

Annuities for Otto ( Sic ) and Missourias , 1836
Northwest trade guns $7.50 each
American rifles $15.00 each
Annuities for the Sioux ,1836
N.W.guns 2 ft. 6 ins and 2 ft 9ins $8.50 each
N.W guns 3ft. 6 ins $7.50 each
( size here refers to barrel length )

1834 , Ft. Hall
Plain "Fusils" $4.50
Twisted "Fusils " $3.75
Rifles $10.00
A "fusil" was a plain or fancy musket like smooth bore often traded or sold to the tribes...

William May UMO bought a Hawken rifle for $26.50 at the 1830 rendezvous
Joseph Burnabi bought a rifle for $15.00 at the 1830 rendezvous
Robert Campbell bought a Hawken pistol for $30.00 in 1832
J&A Kerr "rifle guns" $13.00 each

These are just a few from that book.
Andy

Well I do own and shoot a couple ....:D
Also I have done loads of research on the guns that I do own...so if you want resources for my claims...I can get those...
Andy
View attachment 482396

Though from my own research a family on the lower end of middle class making 20-45 dollars a month,
The easiest and fastest resource for prices on items used in the American fur trade in the west is
Supply & Demand
The Ledgers &Gear of the Western Fur Trade

By Oliver McCloskey and Scott Olsen.
These guys didn't "write" the book , but collected and made copies of the actually ledgers and letters of some of the most famous fur traders and posts ...
So no fiction here , just a journal or ledger entry....

Annuities for Otto ( Sic ) and Missourias , 1836
Northwest trade guns $7.50 each
American rifles $15.00 each
Annuities for the Sioux ,1836
N.W.guns 2 ft. 6 ins and 2 ft 9ins $8.50 each
N.W guns 3ft. 6 ins $7.50 each
( size here refers to barrel length )

1834 , Ft. Hall
Plain "Fusils" $4.50
Twisted "Fusils " $3.75
Rifles $10.00
A "fusil" was a plain or fancy musket like smooth bore often traded or sold to the tribes...

William May UMO bought a Hawken rifle for $26.50 at the 1830 rendezvous
Joseph Burnabi bought a rifle for $15.00 at the 1830 rendezvous
Robert Campbell bought a Hawken pistol for $30.00 in 1832
J&A Kerr "rifle guns" $13.00 each

These are just a few from that book.
Andy

Fantastic! Thank you for taking the time to make the list. I needed some new recommendations. I'm gonna enjoy converting these prices into modern currency adjusting for inflation.

I work with a lot of people who are in their mid 30s too late 50s who have never shot a firearm in their life. When people are visiting our site I try to make it a priority to take them out shooting especially if I know they've never fired a firearm in their life.

I work with a lot of people who are in their mid 30s too late 50s who have never shot a firearm in their life. When people are visiting our site I try to make it a priority to take them out shooting especially if I know they've never fired a firearm in their life.
Good on ya! Sometimes that's all it takes to either get them into shooting or realize that reporters like Kuntzman are full of shizz

A Hawken was $25 ....
Andy

1836 $12 equals $304 today, $25 equals $635

So, about the same with regards to what it would buy, or rather, guns are cheaper today because that kind of money would buy a much better rifle (in terms of functionality) or even less, and you can buy the equivalent of a Hawken for less (Midway sells them for $440).

As for recoil and loudness, yes, some people react quite differently to different recoil and sound.

Just like some people handle pain differently.

My first response would be that the person is over-reacting, and that would be true for some people - possibly on purpose (I would think that to be true for journalists, who probably start out with both a bias and an agenda). For others, there are physiological reasons why they may react the way they do.

As a person who is borderline Aspergers, I know I react to a lot of constant noise from people much different from others; it is wearing on me, and the older I get the more I notice it. I need the peace and quiet I get at home - it is soothing.

Shooting a firearm doesn't bother me that way, although a heavy recoiling long gun does hurt my shoulder (I injured my shoulder when I was a teenager and it causes me almost constant low grade pain, not unusual for it to be more than low grade).

A member of my family has more of a problem with recoil, weight and somewhat with noise (I think) due to a much more serious medical condition, so I have bought that person a Five Seven pistol and a PS90.

I know nothing of this reporter's background and I could be way off base here....
But I kinda doubt it.
No, you are NOT way off base but maybe a bit reluctant to express the honest truth - the statement made by this 'Kuntzman' is the epitome of conjecture - it was sickeningly childlike in it's delivery and the little girl largely in part debunked it. 'Kuntzman' should go away in shame, hide in the shadows like some sort of paranoid animal and nurse his infantile 'sores'.

No, you are NOT way off base but maybe a bit reluctant to express the honest truth - the statement made by this 'Kuntzman' is the epitome of conjecture - it was sickeningly childlike in it's delivery and the little girl largely in part debunked it. 'Kuntzman' should go away in shame, hide in the shadows like some sort of paranoid animal and nurse his infantile 'sores'.

Don't blame the guy your responding to of being reluctant to speak your "truth" when he's just trying to be honest about not actually knowing the man himself, or all details until he's comfortable making a judgment. Not everyone thinks they know everything and are always right, some people like to take the time to think about things first and gather more information before making a decision on someone. I could make a lot of assumptions about you from your words here, but I'll wait.

When the "kids" would noisily congregate around grandpa he would raise his finger to his lips and say "Shhh! You'll wake the baby." Of course there was no baby. I still chuckle about that to this day.
I could get the crazy guy on the bus to stop chanting by staring back at him with the same crazy face. Seemed to scare the crap out of him. Not nice since I'm pretty sure he didn't want to be crazy, but it seemed pretty funny at the time.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top