Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

130 grain .308 data

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by gaijinsamurai, Jun 29, 2011.

1. gaijinsamurai

gaijinsamurai Beaverton Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

I recently acquired some Hornady 130 gr. .308 bullets. I'd like to use these for both .30-06 and .308/7.62 NATO.

The guy I bought it from said Hornady has not released any reloading data, in terms of recommended loads, and doesn't seem to be interested in doing so.

Anyone able to help?

2. Rammit

Rammit Bothel Member

Speer has data check their site I don't have my manual handy

3. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

I got ahold of some of these years ago and like them a lot. I used IMR-4064 in both .308 (47.5 Gr) and 30-06 (50 gr.)

In my rifles they shot nice and true with much less felt recoil than the heavier "slugs".

I couldn't find any data at he time so I just used Hodgdon data for the jacketed 130 gr and worked a load up (just like everyone should do for their own rifle).

There are several other powders that will work well with this bullet, I just happened to have some IMR-4064 available at the time. I also used some Accurate 2495-BR with good results.

I'd just start with some generic data for the 130gr jacketed bullet and work up from the low end. It shoots real nice with moderate loads.

PS: If you ever hit a Prairie Doggie with one there's not much cleanup necessary.

4. gaijinsamurai

Thank you for the responses!
    That will definitely help! :)

5. gaijinsamurai

I'm not sure if it matters, but I received a correction from the guy from whom I bought the bullets. They're FEDERAL, not Hornady.

Mk 319 Mod 0's, to be exact.

.....Not sure if it matters, but I thought I'd provide the correct info.

6. Otis61

Otis61 Newport, Or. New Member

I just made a big post with lots of data, but was kicked out bfore I could get it all in. I have data from 2 different books. Just tell me what powders you want to use. I like 3031, and a few others, but there are lots more. What do you have?

7. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

47gr of H4895 will get them in the 3000 fps range. I'd start out about 5% less, 44 grains or so, and work up.