JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just heard on the radio that Burnside Bridge in Portland Oregon Was closed down because of police activity and that there was/is 13 people carrying guns and that they were arrested. Has anybody heard anything else on this ?

Here's the most recent post I could find: <broken link removed>

PORTLAND, Ore. – Portland police shut down the Burnside Bridge and detained 13 bearded men who said they were headed to a photo shoot to raise money for breast cancer research Wednesday evening.According to spokesman Robert King, police received a report that a man on the bridge had an assault rifle. Officers shut down the bridge just after 7:30 p.m. while they investigated.

Police found 13 bearded men, many of whom wore military style uniforms. One of the men had an assault rifle, King said. They were taken to the Central Precinct.
It's unclear if the assault rifle was loaded.

Several of the men told KATU News they were on their way to take a photo under the "Portland, Oregon" sign near the Burnside Bridge to raise money for breast cancer research. The men said the photo was going to be part of a calendar for Stumptown Stache and Beard Collective.

"It's from Seattle," said Jedediah Aacker. "This girl, Sugar June, does it. She puts together a calendar for all the beard clubs around the nation. Beards for breasts."

Someone called police when they saw one of the men holding a rifle on the bridge.

"We were wearing camo gear and stuff walking up to do the shoot and sure enough police show up, boom, arrested us," said Aacker.

"We were just a bunch of dudes walking across the bridge wearing camo getting rad."

King said two of the men were charged with disorderly conduct for handling the rifle. It's unclear if any of the other 11 men will be charged with a crime.
The bridge was opened at around 8:15.

"We didn't mean to shake up the community or shut down the Burnside Bridge," said Matthew Jenkins. "Just trying to save boobs, you know?"

My reply on O-Live:

So exactly what statute would they be in violation of? Scaring the hipsters? Causing dog walkers to spill their lattes? Or would it be just plain walking around as an unapologetic male?

Well, if the person holding the rifle has a CHL, they should get their lawyer to sue the pants off the city (I hate to say that because it is our money) because that would be legal. Disorderly conduct. What a bunch of potential baloney. aaaaarrrrrgggghhhh!

Well, if the person holding the rifle has a CHL, they should get their lawyer to sue the pants off the city (I hate to say that because it is our money) because that would be legal. Disorderly conduct. What a bunch of potential baloney. aaaaarrrrrgggghhhh!
Do you need a CHL in Portland to walk around open carrying a long gun? I know you need the CHL if you're open carrying an unloaded handgun though.

Do you need a CHL in Portland to walk around open carrying a long gun? I know you need the CHL if you're open carrying an unloaded handgun though.
Yep, you do. Read the municipal code:
14A.60.010 Possession of a Loaded Firearm in a Public Place.

8/31/2012 10:14 PM - Correction: You need a CHL in Portland to open carry a loaded long gun. You don't need a CHL to open carry a long gun or a hand gun, if it unloaded and any magazines being carried are also unloaded.

Last Edited:
Did not realize OCing a long gun was illegal
It is without a CHL.

8/31/2012 10:14 PM - Correction: You need a CHL in Portland to open carry a loaded long gun. You don't need a CHL to open carry a long gun or a hand gun, if it unloaded and any magazines being carried are also unloaded.

Last Edited:
Awesome group of guys. We need more of them exercising the rights we have, and saving boobs. Portland PD needs to shape up. I also gotta laugh at assault rifle...who wants to start bets on what kind of rifle it actually was?

I don't see how Portland can try and regulate a loaded magazine. The preemption allows for the regulation of loaded firearms, not loaded magazines, unless they are attached to the firearm. I noticed Portland code says you have to turn over you firearm for inspection by a peace officer if asked; that too would be unlawful as Oregon law only allows for this in or on a public building. They are sure taking a lot of latitude in their city codes. It is not illegal to open carry an unloaded firearm in Oregon without a CHL. There are a few exceptions to that, but a bridge is not one of them. They had beards and were dressed in BDU's; it is glaringly obvious that they were middle-Eastern descent terrorists and some f'ing yuppie got scared they might blow up the golf course and ruin his weekend game. We should move Portlandia to the communist country of california; they deserve each other.

I was trying to cross the bridge when this happened. There were about 15 cruisers and a few motorcycle units for a handful of dudes looking kinda like 70s rockers. Saw a picture of the guys detained. I know at least one of them. Only one guy was wearing camo pants. The rest wore denim and rock an roll t shirts. And as far as scaring the hipsters. The ironic part is these guys are what I think you would classify as hipsters. I think the big clue is the quote "getting rad".

turns out people that look different than you can have similar likes. Like guns and boobs in this case. :) they definitely got the word out on breast cancer though. Good for them!

Instead of moving Portlandia to Kalifornia as Darknight suggested, we should make a good faith attempt to liberate the storied and once-rugged city from the hands of its leftist occupation forces. You know they will never let the Constitution (State or U.S.) stand in the way of a good, oppressive law. These 13 may have not put much forethought into their actions to save the boobies, and were easily rounded up and arrested. Now had they been 1300, with a sound argument and a strong voice...

I noticed Portland code says you have to turn over you firearm for inspection by a peace officer if asked;
If you read it a little closer it also says that CHP holders are excluded from that. The only time a CHP holder would need to comply is when there has been an "unlawful use" of said weapon. But, they can force you to comply simply by demanding it and threatening you with violence. I'd be inclined to capitulate to any demands and sue later. It is less likely to cost you your life if you do not resist at the time.

I call BS on that crap OREGON IS AN OPEN CARRY STATE.
But the state also gave counties and cities latitude to ban open carry for non CHL holders.

8/31/2012 10:17 PM - Correction: But the state also gave counties and cities the authority to regulate the carry of loaded firearms for non-CHL holders.

Last Edited:
The city has likely oversteped again. Only the state can regulate guns. The city can regulate loaded guns. But I don't think these guys had loaded guns.

166.170 State preemption. (1) Except as expressly authorized by state statute, the authority to regulate in any matter whatsoever the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, storage, transportation or use of firearms or any element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition, is vested solely in the Legislative Assembly.

(2) Except as expressly authorized by state statute, no county, city or other municipal corporation or district may enact civil or criminal ordinances, including but not limited to zoning ordinances, to regulate, restrict or prohibit the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, storage, transportation or use of firearms or any element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition. Ordinances that are contrary to this subsection are void. [1995 s.s. c.1 §1]

So exactly what statute would they be in violation of? Scaring the hipsters? Causing dog walkers to spill their lattes? Or would it be just plain walking around as an unapologetic male?

Unapologetic is one thing but it's compounded if they were white

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top