Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

13 people carrying guns on Burnside Bridge?

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by coyoteman5, Aug 29, 2012.

1. coyoteman5

coyoteman5 North south east west Active Member

I just heard on the radio that Burnside Bridge in Portland Oregon Was closed down because of police activity and that there was/is 13 people carrying guns and that they were arrested. Has anybody heard anything else on this ?

2. SteelyDan

SteelyDan Junction City Active Member

3. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Here's the most recent post I could find: LINK

4. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer

My reply on O-Live:

PBinWA, iusmc2002, no time and 13 others like this.
  5. accessbob

accessbob Molalla, OR 2A Supporter

Well, if the person holding the rifle has a CHL, they should get their lawyer to sue the pants off the city (I hate to say that because it is our money) because that would be legal. Disorderly conduct. What a bunch of potential baloney. aaaaarrrrrgggghhhh!

6. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Do you need a CHL in Portland to walk around open carrying a long gun? I know you need the CHL if you're open carrying an unloaded handgun though.

7. Dinged

Dinged Portland, OR Active Member

Did not realize OCing a long gun was illegal

8. accessbob

Yep, you do. Read the municipal code:
    14A.60.010 Possession of a Loaded Firearm in a Public Place.

8/31/2012 10:14 PM - Correction: You need a CHL in Portland to open carry a loaded long gun. You don't need a CHL to open carry a long gun or a hand gun, if it unloaded and any magazines being carried are also unloaded.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
    nny420 and (deleted member) like this.
  9. accessbob

It is without a CHL.

8/31/2012 10:14 PM - Correction: You need a CHL in Portland to open carry a loaded long gun. You don't need a CHL to open carry a long gun or a hand gun, if it unloaded and any magazines being carried are also unloaded.

10. accessbob

Actually, it would appear carrying a LOADED long gun is illegal without a CHL. I re-read the code again and I don't get that it is illegal to open carry if you don't have a CHL and the gun isn't loaded and all ammo removed from the magazine.

fd15k and (deleted member) like this.
  11. FireFighterChen

FireFighterChen Pasco, WA Member

Awesome group of guys. We need more of them exercising the rights we have, and saving boobs. Portland PD needs to shape up. I also gotta laugh at assault rifle...who wants to start bets on what kind of rifle it actually was?

12. Darknight

Darknight Salem Active Member

I don't see how Portland can try and regulate a loaded magazine. The preemption allows for the regulation of loaded firearms, not loaded magazines, unless they are attached to the firearm. I noticed Portland code says you have to turn over you firearm for inspection by a peace officer if asked; that too would be unlawful as Oregon law only allows for this in or on a public building. They are sure taking a lot of latitude in their city codes. It is not illegal to open carry an unloaded firearm in Oregon without a CHL. There are a few exceptions to that, but a bridge is not one of them. They had beards and were dressed in BDU's; it is glaringly obvious that they were middle-Eastern descent terrorists and some f'ing yuppie got scared they might blow up the golf course and ruin his weekend game. We should move Portlandia to the communist country of california; they deserve each other.

13. Drat

Drat earth Member

I was trying to cross the bridge when this happened. There were about 15 cruisers and a few motorcycle units for a handful of dudes looking kinda like 70s rockers. Saw a picture of the guys detained. I know at least one of them. Only one guy was wearing camo pants. The rest wore denim and rock an roll t shirts. And as far as scaring the hipsters. The ironic part is these guys are what I think you would classify as hipsters. I think the big clue is the quote "getting rad".

turns out people that look different than you can have similar likes. Like guns and boobs in this case. :) they definitely got the word out on breast cancer though. Good for them!

nubus, pokerace, fd15k and 3 others like this.
  14. theguncrank

theguncrank Columbia County Active Member

Instead of moving Portlandia to Kalifornia as Darknight suggested, we should make a good faith attempt to liberate the storied and once-rugged city from the hands of its leftist occupation forces. You know they will never let the Constitution (State or U.S.) stand in the way of a good, oppressive law. These 13 may have not put much forethought into their actions to save the boobies, and were easily rounded up and arrested. Now had they been 1300, with a sound argument and a strong voice...

15. accessbob

If you read it a little closer it also says that CHP holders are excluded from that. The only time a CHP holder would need to comply is when there has been an "unlawful use" of said weapon. But, they can force you to comply simply by demanding it and threatening you with violence. I'd be inclined to capitulate to any demands and sue later. It is less likely to cost you your life if you do not resist at the time.

16. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

I call BS on that crap OREGON IS AN OPEN CARRY STATE.

17. accessbob

But the state also gave counties and cities latitude to ban open carry for non CHL holders.

8/31/2012 10:17 PM - Correction: But the state also gave counties and cities the authority to regulate the carry of loaded firearms for non-CHL holders.

18. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

The city has likely oversteped again. Only the state can regulate guns. The city can regulate loaded guns. But I don't think these guys had loaded guns.

166.170 State preemption. (1) Except as expressly authorized by state statute, the authority to regulate in any matter whatsoever the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, storage, transportation or use of firearms or any element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition, is vested solely in the Legislative Assembly.

(2) Except as expressly authorized by state statute, no county, city or other municipal corporation or district may enact civil or criminal ordinances, including but not limited to zoning ordinances, to regulate, restrict or prohibit the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, storage, transportation or use of firearms or any element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition. Ordinances that are contrary to this subsection are void. [1995 s.s. c.1 §1]

19. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Unapologetic is one thing but it's compounded if they were white

20. SteelyDan

SteelyDan Junction City Active Member

I'm sure if they were naked bicyclists or a gay rights parade then there wouldn't have been a problem.