JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just started getting into reloading some 12ga shells! I bought a little scale that measures grain and grams, while pretty slow, it works pretty good. I have a crimp starter that i put in a drillpress, just to be able to consistently start a crimp.

However, I have an issue getting the final crimp nice. My shells fire just fine but chamering is a little tight. Is there a cheap press that does the final crimp only? Right now, I precrimp and then use a socket and do the final crimp, all by hand.

Left is mine, right is factory, this is already somewhat perfected!

IMG_20191201_201121.jpg

Mec JRs can be found for pretty cheap used. Should help the whole process smooth out a bit. That and it should make much nicer crimps. I see them once and awhile for dirt cheap, as I think everyone who did load 12 stopped due to insane price increases on shot.

If you are loading buck in those. Just buy a roll crimp and cut up some plastic disks to hold back the pellets.

You can use a disk and a roll crimp on regular shot too. Just harder for me due to little pellets sneaking out.

I agree with Reno about finding a mec JR. They can still be had for around $50.00 used, if you look around. When I was loading for competition trap shooting, I would make my crimps look like the one pictured above on the right side. Good luck with it, but like Reno said, cost of shot is so high right now that it is cheaper to just buy factory. I've seen factory on sale in the $5.00/box range here lately..

Well... I noticed that the shot is pretty pricey,yes. Paid $40 for 25lbs of #7. However, I'll probably switch to BBs or buckshot after that bag.
I have another reason too. I find it more environmental friendly to use the plastic hulls multiple times. Trying to do my part....

+2 on the MEC jr. They are an excellent loader and $50 will get you one ready to go if you keep your eyes open. If you just want to crimp I have a Pacific DL-105 and a Lyman Easy Reloader that would do the job. They are complete, functional loaders, just not quite up to the MEC Jr. $30 either one.

Right now I'm loading to have 1145fps, using a Winchester recipe. I am trying to find a subsonic load,Im just not sure If I use the same 1.125oz shot and just go down on the powder or what? But man, I shot some federal 00buck at almost 1400 after my load and those kicked like a donkey, wow.

Most shotshell powders are pretty forgiving. You can drop the charge significantly in a shotgun before you ever see the same type of spike in pressures like a rifled gun would.

If you do go to buck shot buy these. I typically don't reuse shells anymore as primed cases are pretty cheap these days, however I still use these.

I typically order these for buckshot. Price per unit gets better from various places when ordering bulk.

Most shotshell powders are pretty forgiving. You can drop the charge significantly in a shotgun before you ever see the same type of spike in pressures like a rifled gun would.

If you do go to buck shot buy these. I typically don't reuse shells anymore as primed cases are pretty cheap these days, however I still use these.

I typically order these for buckshot. Price per unit gets better from various places when ordering bulk.

I'll probably use those once mine aren't reloadable anymore. Good advice thank you!

I actually got the Lee Load all II. Had some cabelas bucks. This thing is actually just right for what I'm doing. I load about 50 -80 at a time. The crimps are 100% better but I have a box of messed up hulls that will go in the trash after I shot them.

Also, can anyone tell me a general direction what the relationship between powder grains and shot weight is? I generally have loaded 19g WST powder with 1 1/8oz (31.9gram) of shot. That's about 1145fps according to load data.

I got some BBs and did a few testloads, I kept the powder at 19grain and the max weight of BBs I could get in was about 20 to 23grams. about 3/4oz. I couldn't find a recipe for BBs really,except for...with lighter weight,it should have more powder? What should I expect if there isn't quite enough powder?

Here are some good crimps and some bad ones. IMG_20191204_212745.jpg bad IMG_20191204_212917.jpg

I actually got the Lee Load all II. Had some cabelas bucks. This thing is actually just right for what I'm doing. I load about 50 -80 at a time. The crimps are 100% better but I have a box of messed up hulls that will go in the trash after I shot them.

Also, can anyone tell me a general direction what the relationship between powder grains and shot weight is? I generally have loaded 19g WST powder with 1 1/8oz (31.9gram) of shot. That's about 1145fps according to load data.

I got some BBs and did a few testloads, I kept the powder at 19grain and the max weight of BBs I could get in was about 20 to 23grams. about 3/4oz. I couldn't find a recipe for BBs really,except for...with lighter weight,it should have more powder? What should I expect if there isn't quite enough powder?

Here are some good crimps and some bad ones.View attachment 638058 bad View attachment 638059
Steel bb gun bb's or lead bb's?

Can you take the guts out of the first step full length resizer/de-primer and just full length re size? That should fix the nail head crimp and make them fit in the chamber. I have a set of RCBS 20 gauge dies that work on my Rock Chucker and that's what the instructions say to do.

Here are some good crimps and some bad ones.View attachment 638058 bad View attachment 638059
Get a shotgun reloading manual and READ IT. Freelancing shotgun loads is a REALLY BAD idea. WST powder is for lead target loads, NOT steel shot which is what you're loading. Steel requires different wads and powders. Back before reloading components became available for steel shot, people did exactly what you're doing now and split their barrels. When that non-compressible steel shot column hits the forcing cone that fast burning target powder creates a pressure spike. Not even going to get into the airgun BB vs actual steel shot crap.

Last Edited:
Okay, I'll be taking the BBs back out of the 5 I loaded. Definitely don't want to split the barrel. So I need a different powder and wads for the steelshot, thats what I thought !? If I find Lead BBs I could use the WST? Thank you!

I'd find a manual or at least check the powder manufacturer website to see load data for steel.

I used the Mec single stage reloader. it was the basic bare bones kind. It has all of the bushings to measure appropriate amounts of powder and shot. I also got a reloading manual at sportsmans that gives formulas and equivs for different brands of powder.

I got it just to roll my own 20 ga 1 oz loads at 1220fps. Good short shot string and predictable consistency. I was using HS7 and 209 primers with decent results.

"Okay, I'll be taking the BBs back out of the 5 I loaded. Definitely don't want to split the barrel. So I need a different powder and wads for the steelshot, thats what I thought !? If I find Lead BBs I could use the WST? Thank you!"

In a nutshell, with shotgun shells, you are trying to find a recipe that does what you want, hopefully using all or most of the components you have on hand.

Start out with shot type (lead, steel, heavy-shot, etc..) as this will affect pretty much every thing else in the shell.

Gauge and shell length(pretty obvious).

Then go to shell type (AA compressions formed, Federal target, Remington STS, etc.). Shell internal dimensions vary by manufacture and type and can really effect pressures as well as what you can actually fit in the shell. Target shells tend to have smaller internal capacity than hunting shells.

Now you're down to shot weight, wads, powder and primers.

Reloading manuals and online reloading data sites will pretty much guide you thru the process.

You may not be able to use the components you have on hand to build the load you want.

The Lyman Shotshell Reloading Handbook is a good reference. It not only has a large number of load combinations but has a good beginners section on how to reload shotgun shells. Link is to the Lyman site but you can probably find the manual cheaper at Midway. The local library may have a copy available for loan.

For just data tables without the "how to" section:

Bottom line, shotguns don't have a lot of cushion pressure wise so stick to published/tested recipes from a reliable source.

Note1: There is no entry point for shot size. As far as the recipes are concerned lead #7's are the same as lead BB's. Buckshot and slugs may have their own section depending on the manual.

Note2: If you are concerned about recoil, investigate not only lower velocities but also lighter shot charges. There are 3/4 oz 12 ga reloads that have very little recoil. They're also cheaper as you are saving on shot.

Last Edited:
Thank you for all the input. I've read quite some stuff now about powders and their purpuse.

One thing that I couldn't quite find out about was the wads, except, of course to use a different one that holds more shot for steel to archive the same weight. The question is, do all the different shot sizes require different wads? Or is it just a matter of what fits in?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top