JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I saw these 12ga bean bag shells on Cheaper Than Dirt and thought they might be usefull for indoors protection. Has anyone tried these or trained in law enforcement or crowd control with these rounds. Haven't got out to try them yet but wondered if they might be ok for first and second load in an indoor pump 12ga. They do say that close head or chest shot could be fatal but my thoughts were not likely to penetrate walls. I would like to hear from someone who has some experience with these and not just normal gunblog conjecture. Thanks.

I've had the opportunity to shoot a few bean bags at a target about 6 months ago with some LEO's. They knocked the targets over and were really cool. (fun) You can actually see the bag fly. I think they're only effective to about 20 to 25 yards and then lose their trajectory due to no aerodyamics. I was told they can break ribs.
BUT, I think there is no civilian use or reason for these things unless you just want to play. I think they'd just get you in a situation where you could have a reallly pissed off BG. IMO, Not worth the risk

If you need to use deadly force, USE deadly force!!! Dont think pissing off a BG will make things better!!! get some 000 bk shot.

The only thing I would think of using one on, is a dog that is in my yard, buy why not just shoot it and be done with it...

If we are at the point where I am confronting somebody who is committing a felony by breaking into my home....the time for "less-lethal" options has long since passed.

Bean bag rounds are pretty much like paintballs on steroids. They hurt like **** and will leave a big bruise and a welt. They are useful tools for police who must utilize a continuum of force, but they serve no purpose for a civilian who is trying to protect himself.

I wouldn't use them for fear that if the guy DID die (accidental headshot) they could make the argument that you couldn't have been in fear for your life because you picked up the bean bag gun, but you used it in such a way that the poor poor criminal died.

If I fear for my life or the lives of my family, I will use deadly force and not look back.

Thanks everyone for their opinions. I did shoot some of these rounds yesterday at about 20 to 25 yards and thats past the range for them, dropping fast but probably wouldn't feel good. The paperwork with these says 7yds minimum range for a heavily clothed person and close range torso and head hits could be fatal. My thoughts were not about severe injury or death of the intruder but minimizing danger to anyone else in the house. I wouldn't bother with them for defense outdoors. I will probably just save them for this summer when the deer raid the garden. About 20 to 25 yards from basement door to garden, shouldn't injure them but send them packing. I will stick with buck shot for home defense. By the way these did have reduced noise and mild recoil.

I have extensive experience with these in 12 ga in training and the field...... I dont have ANY in my HOUSE.

37 or 40mm might be a different story though :) but for a repeater.. the SAGE gun is a tad spendy.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top