JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Never have myself but I have thought about giving it a try. I have an old book on small game hunting and it has a recipe for them. They are a vegetarian so I suspect it should be as safe as eating beef - but I am not an expert so someone who is (or has tried it) please jump in any time.

Oh man sounds good already! Yep probably a good way to start. Keep the spices minimal at first so you can taste it 'naturally' - but I would be getting into marinades and dry rubs before long then into the smoker for a couple hours before finishing on a slow BBQ.

Quarter the chuck and soak in salt water overnight, one cup salt per gallon. Ate ground hog while visiting family back east and it was very tasty. Chucks aren't much different.

Here's a recipe I found for you. I'm pretty sure there are others. Please let us know how it turns out.

Skin chuck and soak in strong salt water, for 4 hours. Cut up as you would a rabbit. Immerse in boiling water(15 min per #). The water should have just a bit of celery salt, minced onion, and black pepper. When meat is tender, remove from water and dry with paper towels. Cook on grill while basting with barbecue sauce. Brown both sides and check with fork to ensure meat is cooked thouroughly.

Pot Roast Chuck
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 c. boiling water
1/2 c. flour
Clean and wash Chuck. Cut in small pieces. Soak 2 hours in cold salted water. Dry. Season with salt and pepper and roll in flour. Fry in hot bacon grease until brown. Add 1 c. boiling water, cover and cook slow.(about 4 hours). Add more water if needed. When done thicken juice with flour.

Crock pot followed by BBQ sauce + grill = pretty good.

Wine sauce and long simmer= still don't like to think about it

The ones we've taken you need a good head shot or it'll dive in the hole screaming and freak all the others out. If the colony hasn't been shot up you can get pretty close and a whistle will get them to stand up erect just perfect.

I'd imagine every animal wild or feedlot has the potential for risks. Pop on some nitrile gloves. The last ones I shot looked to have ringworm and plenty of fleas, they didn't get cooked and I doubt I will prepare another anytime soon. Saw some odd green bile like stuff early season in one's stomach. Pretty gross. Another downside is when halved the torso looks a bit like an infants and it's pretty creepy.

I'd take one on a backpacking trip up high but I think I will pass on the yellow ones going forward.

Bon apetit

Dude, price of ammo says this ain't survival food. Besides they're laden with godawful parasites. Central OR has the plague, you realize. Not smart.

The same could be said about squirrels, rabbits or any number of small "edible" mammals couldn't it? Let alone the mice and other rodents that inhabit your home, not to say you in particular, but most every dwelling has them, just saying.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top