JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Tell me more about the liquid/stainless media tumblers. I have been thinking about switching for a while. Do you have to filter used liquid to remove debris hat is removed from the cases and how long does the solution last?

Tell me more about the liquid/stainless media tumblers. I have been thinking about switching for a while. Do you have to filter used liquid to remove debris hat is removed from the cases and how long does the solution last?
If you like clean cases inside and out, and don't mind a little labor intensive action to get there, they are the best. The stainless steel pins are kind of a pain to deal with, but I have had decent results without them, just a squirt of Dawn dish washing liquid and a small scoop of Lemishine and the cases come out really nice. If you want the insides to be clean as well as primer pockets, then you need to run it with the stainless steel pins, and sort them out after tumbling. The Frankfort Arsenal magnet does a good job of picking them up, but they still need to be dried along with the brass, after tumbling.
The best part of liquid tumbling is no obnoxious (and very unhealthy) lead dust from the media you get from vibratory corn cob tumbling. Well worth it, in my opinion.

I use this to separate the brass from the pins.

41y4KHWiepL.jpg

It works very well. Currently on sale Lyman Dual Sifter Set Rotary Tumbler SS Pin Media - MPN: 7631314

Last Edited:
The rotary type media separators work very well for me.

Like such:

RCBS Rotary Case Media Separator - MPN: 87076

Mind that a bunch of the reloading companies make a same/similar, I just happen to have that one.

Also mind that they are kind of big/bulky, so not so great if space is at a premium. Great, if you don't need to worry about storage space.

Edit, adding: folks new to wet tumbling whom need media- check out Southern Shines Media. Super egg shaped media, excellent value (when I bought some anyways). They are on Facebook, and deal via email/PayPal (least ways, again, when I bought some). I'll see if I can't what I paid for them back last year & post it up.

Looks like $100 for 30lbs media, delivered. That was early last year, so pricing may have changed—plus looks like he just closed up a Black Friday/cyber Monday special...It's unlikely that I will ever have to buy any media ever again...:)

Last Edited:
Made the jump, thanks for the links fellas!

Here's how I process brass:

1. Sort with this Shell Sorter Brass Sorter 9mm Luger 40 S&W 45 ACP 3 Bowl - MPN: 3set
847836.jpg
Yes, it's kind of pricey but it quickly separates assorted range brass. I like to pick up range brass. If you only pick up your own brass and only shoot one caliber you might not need this.

2. Deprime with Lee Precision Universal Depriming and Decapping Die Lee Universal Depriming Decapping Die - MPN: 90292

136543.jpg

One of the great things about wet tumbling with pins is that it cleans the primer pockets, so I really want to deprime the brass before tumbling. But I don't want to run filthy range brass through my nice clean resizing dies to deprime them, so what to do? That's where the Lee Universal Depriming die comes in. It deprimes any size case without resizing it, so it works on dirty brass. I use it with the Lee Universal Shell Holder Set https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISIO...MJK2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1543343825&sr=8-1 that covers almost every size of brass in one set for convenience.

51ujV0jQVrL.jpg

3. Wet tumble the deprimed brass sorted by neck size. You don't want to tumble brass with different neck sizes - for example 9mm and .45 ACP - because the smaller cases will nest inside the larger cases. You can tumble .380 ACP and 9mm and .38 Special together, or .40 S&W and 10mm together, or .45 ACP and .45 Colt together. For small batches I use this Harbor Freight tumbler Dual Drum Rotary Rock Tumbler
image_11481.jpg
and for larger batches I use the Frankford Arsenal tumbler.

81XnSq3%2BKrL._SL1500_.jpg
I use tap water with either Dawn dish soap + Lemi Shine (from Walmart), or Guntap Brass Shine Powder Detergent https://www.amazon.com/Brass-Shine-...UMDA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1543346977&sr=8-1

61Pd5fgt5HL._SL1000_.jpg

Guntap Brass Shine Powder Detergent doesn't make as much suds and foam as Dawn + Lemi Shine. Dawn + Lemi Shine is cheaper.

4. Pour out the dirty liquid, brass, and pins through the Lyman Dual Sifter Set mentioned above to separate the brass from the pins. Lyman Dual Sifter Set Rotary Tumbler SS Pin Media - MPN: 7631314

5. Dry the cleaned brass with an old food dehydrator.

white-elite-dehydrators-efd-1010-64_1000.jpg

6. Resize the clean and dry brass. For handgun brass I use Lee Undersize Sizing Dies Undersize Sizing Dies - Lee Precision
Those dies resize the brass .003" smaller than normal to eliminate chambering problems.

Since I pick up range brass I also run pistol brass through the Lee Bulge Buster Kit Bulge Buster Kit - Lee Precision

p-197.jpg

For handgun brass I sometimes put the resizing die in one station of my Hornady Lock-N-Load progressive press and the expander die in the next station so the brass ends up resized and case mouth expanded.

7. If I want rifle brass to be super shiny I run them through my old Lyman Turbo 1200 tumbler I've had since the 1980s with corn cob and Nu Finish car polish. Doing so removes the case lube from the resizing process. My Lee Undersize Sizing Dies are carbide so they don't need lube.

Lyman-Turbo-1200-reloading-tumbler-with-corn-cob.jpg
A5D5_1_20141212107344845.jpg

Since the dry media tumbler only has to polish and not clean the brass it doesn't take long and the media lasts longer. I use a simple sifter like this to separate the brass

143270.jpg

For handgun brass I actually sort the brass by headstamp and keep the sorted brass in zip lock freezer bags.

8. For rifle brass I trim using the Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Case Trim and Prep System https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Ar...JEB4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1543348175&sr=8-3

71TTbAAVjhL._SL1500_.jpg

I also have a Forster Original Case Trimmer Forster Original Case Trimmer - MPN: CT1010 and a Lee Deluxe Quick trim Case Trimmer Lee Deluxe Quick Trim Case Trimmer - MPN: 90437 that work well but the motorized Frankford Arsenal unit is faster.

I deburr with a Hornady Deluxe 4-blade Chamfer and Deburring Tool Hornady Deluxe 4-Blade Chamfer Deburring Tool - MPN: 050117

171844.jpg

and clean the flash hole with the Lyman Flash Hole Uniformer Tool Lyman Flash Hole Uniformer Tool - MPN: 7777760

729748.jpg

If military brass needs to have the primer pocket swaged I use the Dillon Super Swage 600 Super Swage 600 (20095): Reloading: Case Preparation Equipment

20095-Dillon-Super-Swage-600.jpg

9. I prefer to hand prime. I use the RCBS Universal Hand Priming Tool RCBS Universal Hand Priming Tool - MPN: 90201

319794.jpg

Last Edited:
Sorry, late to the game here. I separate the stainless media in a rotary (hand crank) seperator. Only, I fill mine with water to halfway up the rotating thingy that you load brass in. In water the density of stainless vs brass really shines. Normally only 25-30 cranks and all done. Dump water and used magnet to retrieve media.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top