JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks for that idea. I called up Tuff Shed and they said my model (which actually is 24in on center) is rated at 75lbs per square ft. Definitely not enough for a safe!
The way they are made it would be dead simple to "beef up" the area you want to put the safe in. Just make sure before you beef up you have the shed where you want it. Don't want to beef up the area then later decide you want to move the shed.

20 lbs per square foot? that doesn't sound right. if I stood on one foot I would overload that area by 10 fold?
I agree, I didnt do the math.. its simply what was quoted on a few different Tuffshed forums Q's. By chance they could have meant 200lbs.
Overall however they made claims of 2100-2600 total weight capacity?

For residential floors, the live load is usually considered to be 30 to 40 pounds per square foot (psf), although this varies depending on the location within the home. First-floor live loads have higher requirements than second-floor live loads (40 pounds per square foot vs. 30 psf)
That said, in the past I placed a of 3/4 inch plywood under my safe to spread the load, also if not on concrete I also locate my safe in a corner that is load bearing.

I'm thinking that there are issues with siting a gun safe in a Tuff Shed beyond load bearing issues. Such as environmental and security.

20 lbs per square foot? that doesn't sound right. if I stood on one foot I would overload that area by 10 fold?
That's not how you look at a floor rating. The requirement for residential sleeping areas is 30 psf. That doesn't mean that if you took a 50 pound, 1 square foot weight and placed it on the floor it would fail. The capacity of the flooring system is taken as a whole and must meet the psf requirement when divided by total area. However, a safe can result in excess deflection. Always good to check span tables. Source: am engineer

I have a safe in my shed too. Mine sits on concrete piers. So I added 3 more under the safe and a 3/4" sheet of ply under the safe to spread the load. Its been there for more than 5 years without any settling issues. My safe is just under 1000 lbs. If it was sitting on packed gravel I would just add the ply . DR

Review the various considerations when 'putting it in the garage' as I've seen a number of saddog stories about the ease of unauthorized access via weak link garage door/etc. then driving up next to the victim/safe.

I personally wouldnt put a safe in a shed. No way the floor will take the weight, humidity issues and less security than inside the home. Keep the lawnmower in the shed. Keep the safe and contents in the house.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top