JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for something rated for both gasoline and diesel, that would be relatively inexpensive, but reliable (i.e., not a waste of $) and portable enough to be in a small kit like this:

71YOuLur5VL._AC_SX569_.jpg

The idea is to be able to transfer fuel from any container (including a vehicle fuel tank) to another contain or fuel tank at 1+ GPM.

Not going to do this very often, but it would be nice kit to have.

Just in case you need to transfer liquid and dont have a power source is a self priming siphon hose. Kinda like the ol garden hose in the gas tank without having to suck a mouthful of fuel or having to synchronize your thumb. Just jiggle it up and down a few times and it primes and siphons. I used to use one to transfer water out of a fish tank, it flows more than 1gpm and is fuel and oil safe. I have also used one to transfer fuel from a ATV to another ATV. Good addition to your 12v pump kit.

Looking for something rated for both gasoline and diesel, that would be relatively inexpensive, but reliable (i.e., not a waste of $) and portable enough to be in a small kit like this:

View attachment 879482

The idea is to be able to transfer fuel from any container (including a vehicle fuel tank) to another contain or fuel tank at 1+ GPM.

I bought one of these. Works like a charm. Runs on 4 AA batteries...

Fun and easy to rig up a workable suction hose setup for emergency sucking of various needful fuels from various available sources. All probably illegal. Do not do it. Also consider the appropriate bolt cutters and force able entry tools. Consider a manual pump not requiring electricity. Do not forget the inline good/excellent filters.

Empty gas station fuel tanks ain't. Always some residual product in the bottom. Again, good filters necessary. We rigged up such expedient suction setups years ago for all the fire and police vehicles. Earthquakes and storms. Worked fine. I do not know if each vehicle/apparatus still has them on board. Too many gadgets..

If you siphon diesel, go from the top down as the bottom often is gelatinous ooze that'll clog your inline filter afore you even get any good stuff.

There are hand crank rotory pumps you can get for fuel transfers, the are self priming and work pretty fast! I got mine through Granger but there are plenty of other places that sell them! I think I paid $130 for mine, and I use it all the time for fueling my plane when not at a airport fuel island or fuel truck! Super nice to have when out in the wilds!

Fun and easy to rig up a workable suction hose setup for emergency sucking of various needful fuels from various available sources. All probably illegal. Do not do it. Also consider the appropriate bolt cutters and force able entry tools. Consider a manual pump not requiring electricity. Do not forget the inline good/excellent filters.

Empty gas station fuel tanks ain't. Always some residual product in the bottom. Again, good filters necessary. We rigged up such expedient suction setups years ago for all the fire and police vehicles. Earthquakes and storms. Worked fine. I do not know if each vehicle/apparatus still has them on board. Too many gadgets..

I have a manual pump on my drum. I want something for the vehicles. My big truck will probably have a more HD permanent setup for diesel when I convert to an RV.

I'm too old now to support a 5 gallon can the length of time it takes it to empty it into the truck so I bought a battery operated pump on a stick sort of thing where you put the rod into the can you want to transfer from. It has the pump and batteries on the top, and a four foot discharge hose.
It works great, just takes a couple minutes to empty a five gallon can.
Unfortunately for me, it is a piece of crap because it will not pump up hill. The effluent tube must be level, or down from the discharge port. As long as what you are transferring it too is the same height or lower, fine, but it wont pump up hill to the fill port of the truck which is why I bought it so I wouldn't have to lift and hold the can of gas. My truck has a canopy on it so I cant pump from the bed..

Be mindful when you buy such a thing that it will be self priming and will pump at least several feet of head if those things matter to you.

I have a manual pump on my drum. I want something for the vehicles. My big truck will probably have a more HD permanent setup for diesel when I convert to an RV.
buy a spare fuel pump for your rig. mount on a small plate, run hoses 10, each end and a wire to your battery (fused disconnect is better). pumps from or to,

View attachment 879482

you can basically make that kit yourself. A basic in tank type fuel pump can be had for under $20 add some hose to each outlet along with battery connection clamps, an inline fuse maybe a switch and relay and if need be put a primer bulb in line that can be found at a marine or auto parts store. Thats all that kit is, looks like they made a basic rubber footed base for the motor to sit on as well. Wont like extended uses as the motor will heat up as they usually are cooled by the fuel in the tank but it will get the job done.

That fuel pump is pretty much the standard on alot of vehicles just used one for my Honda VTX 1800 motorcycle, just look up number E8229.

Edit: You can always have a back up with one of these, I keep one on the shelf just in case. Bi Mart has them as well.

Last Edited:
I use a cheap marine 12v carb fuel pump. They move it quick enough & are less than $20 on ebay.
We have something like that at work.
Don't think it was too much and it's big enough to transfer 10 gallons of engine oil in a few minutes which is way better than a hand pump.

Probably less than $50 with all the hoses, fittings and a 10' electrical lead.

I use an electric fuel pump that's an old Carter. 3/8" pipe fittings and will flow over 100 gallons per hour. It would be very easy to whip up a kit with a few lengths of hose, long wires with alligator clips and a case to put it in. A good quality pump will cost $50-70 bucks, but would be reliable.

Seems like it would make the most sense to build yourself. A decent 12v fuel pump, some wire leads with alligator clamps, and some 3/8 fuel hose should be doable for well under $100.

Just make sure whatever you use, it's explosion-proof or hazardous duty. Pumps that aren't designed for fuel can spark and ruin your day.

**Edit** Just re-read your initial post and note that you specifically addressed a pump "rated for gasoline and diesel". I'll be quiet now.....

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top