JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I prefer a sem-automatic shotgun for waterfowl hunting. I hit more ducks and geese with a semi than a pump Is why. My son with younger reflexes, outshoots me with his pump action. For other than hunting, my pump action is fully adequate and preferred for home defense. …..Nothing like the sound of racking a shell to get someone's attention.

Being left handed I like bottom eject shotguns so I've been shooting pumps staring with Model 37's a long time ago in the Navy and now have a Browning BPS. Never really looked for a bottom eject semi-auto but I'm sure if they exist they would be just fine.

Being left handed I like bottom eject shotguns so I've been shooting pumps staring with Model 37's a long time ago in the Navy and now have a Browning BPS. Never really looked for a bottom eject semi-auto but I'm sure if they exist they would be just fine.
If you like bottom ejection shotguns. I would recommend the kel tec ksg or standard arms dp12

IMO which one is "better" depends on your usage, personal preferences, and budget. I've had break barrel, pump, and semi autos. I have no problem using any of them. Got rid of all my tube-fed shotguns. I now only use mag or drum fed reliable semi autos with muzzle brakes that reduce recoil by about 70%. Also keep quality SxS just cuz I love them.

IMO limitations on shotguns are range, capacity, and speed of reloading. For me reliable mag/drum fed semi autos solve two of those limitations, but any reliable one will get the job done it just depends on use and preferences.
That sounds really nice. i currently have a magazine fed vr60 I'm looking to rehome due to lack of space but I love that thing

This is one of those post like asking what motorcycle is best and the first guy chimes in with definitely an R1 Then the next guy chimes in and says yeah but That's gonna suck off road definitely a YZ 250 and the next guy chimes in and says yeah but that's gonna be terrible on long cruises definitely a Harley and The next guy says yeah but that's gonna suck on a race track definitely a Ducati and the next guys gonna say yeah but that Ducati's gonna be horribly unreliable definitely a Goldwing.

Just buy what's best for the intended purpose and use it for that.

How do you port load with a bottom eject? I'm also left handed and never minded standard right side ejection, I find how it is setup is more important. This past weekend while drinking Bourbon after class, Steve Fisher was telling us about an Ithaca 37 that he had Ned Christiansen cut in a side port.

I have an 870 and a 1301, no intentions on getting rid of either, but if I was forced to choose I'd keep the 870 because it is something I've grown up with, it sure would be cool if they both had a Mossberg tang safety.

IMO limitations on shotguns are range, capacity, and speed of reloading. For me reliable mag/drum fed semi autos solve two of those limitations, but any reliable one will get the job done it just depends on use and preferences.
That start to introduce another set of issues, like shell deformation and weird balance of weapon. Shotguns are already big, heavy and unwieldly, adding a detachable box fed mag makes it worse IMO.

How do you port load with a bottom eject? I'm also left handed and never minded standard right side ejection, I find how it is setup is more important. This past weekend while drinking Bourbon after class, Steve Fisher was telling us about an Ithaca 37 that he had Ned Christiansen cut in a side port.

I have an 870 and a 1301, no intentions on getting rid of either, but if I was forced to choose I'd keep the 870 because it is something I've grown up with, it sure would be cool if they both had a Mossberg tang safety.
AMEN on the TANG SAFETY. That is why my bedside go-to is a mossie 500 (one of my duty shotguns that retired with me). I like and trust my set-up and tweaked 870 but that trigger mounted safety button isnt a "natural" with me.

I just stuff them in the loading/ejecting port, but then I consider my BPS's main propose to be hunting. I do have a 12ga Coach gun if needed as well, but the question was about slide action vs semi-auto.

Last Edited:
Fully Auto...thank you very much.

1675812948210.png

This is one of those post like asking what motorcycle is best and the first guy chimes in with definitely an R1 Then the next guy chimes in and says yeah but That's gonna suck off road definitely a YZ 250 and the next guy chimes in and says yeah but that's gonna be terrible on long cruises definitely a Harley and The next guy says yeah but that's gonna suck on a race track definitely a Ducati and the next guys gonna say yeah but that Ducati's gonna be horribly unreliable definitely a Goldwing.

Just buy what's best for the intended purpose and use it for that.
It's about the engagement in the community. Simple fun topic, if you don't like it then don't comment.

It's about the engagement in the community. Simple fun topic, if you don't like it then don't comment.
Second time you have told someone not to comment in the last 20 minutes. And 24 posts total. Ever think maybe you should be here a while and read the room before you tell people not to comment?

I have to say I favor simplicity and reliability. Pump for me. I do a little bird and small game hunting but the thought has never occured to me, "I wish I could throw shells faster"... so...

I also have a pump in a SD configuration, but then again, I dont consider it my primary SD weapon. I'm not saying pump is mo'gooder then semi... just that I've never felt the need or see the distinct tactical advantage "enough" to pick up a semi.

Second time you have told someone not to comment in the last 20 minutes. And 24 posts total. Ever think maybe you should be here a while and read the room before you tell people not to comment?
Don't you just love it when a newcomer (which I still count myself as one) comes in and starts tellin' you how to run your outfit? That feller must be from southern Kalifornia...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top