JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This 12 Ga Shotgun was bought by my father when he was 12 years old. I'm not sure of exactly where he bought it but, I assume is was the local hardware store in Converse, IN, his hometown.

It has done the job well on rabbits and squirrels. (I know I got every rabbit I ever shot at with it. :) )

My father passed away just one week after my 7th birthday. So, that's one main reason I don't have any history on it. When my family, with my new step-dad, moved to FL when I was 12, the gun was left with one of my uncles in IN. A few years later, after I got married and made a trip back "home", my uncle gave it to me. It's been in my possession ever since and still shoots good, too!

LNTS-12gaShotgun.jpg

Does that shotgun say "Crescent" and/or "Victor" or "New Victor" anywhere on it?

No. The only ID I've ever been able to find, and this is after breaking it all the way down in its parts, is Armory Gun Co. That's it! Not even a date anywhere.

Since my father bought it when he was 12, that would have been around 1940 and sometime after his birthday in Feb.

Oddly enough I saw one of those the other day that someone had cut down and welded to the shift rod in an old Willys rat rod. the stock was cut down to the hand grip only and the barrel was cut down to about 12" before being welded in place.

Oddly enough I saw one of those the other day that someone had cut down and welded to the shift rod in an old Willys rat rod. the stock was cut down to the hand grip only and the barrel was cut down to about 12" before being welded in place.

So, was that to say it was riding shot gun??? :)

No. The only ID I've ever been able to find, and this is after breaking it all the way down in its parts, is Armory Gun Co. That's it! Not even a date anywhere.

Since my father bought it when he was 12, that would have been around 1940 and sometime after his birthday in Feb.

That's actually enough info to get some identification. "Armory Gun Co." was one of many different 'trade names' used by H&D Folsom, which was formerly known as Crescent Fire Arms Co. The companies have been around since before 1900. They made a variety of break-barrel style shotguns in various gauges/bores, both single and double barrel.

These companies both produced guns under trade names - the trade names were used to sell shotguns through catalogs, retail stores, gas stations, etc. Like today, they would slap another name on a gun and let a store sell it under that name, which can make it difficult to find information on them. Your gun was most likely bought at a local retailer or catalog store like JC Penney, Sears, etc.

I had a Crescent New Victor that dated to around 1910. It shot very well and would have been made by the same company that likely built your gun. It prompted me to do some research on these guns. I was fortunate enough to find a guy on Shotgunworld.com's forum that was actually able to date my gun based on the serial number. Unfortunately a fire a long time ago destroyed a lot of the paper records on these guns, so it can be difficult to nail them down.

Values on these guns typically are not very high. A very good quality model could bring $125-$150, with many valued at $100 or less. They're not really collectors, but if the metal is good, you can have a good shooter and a nice memento of your father.

Here are a few links you might find helpful as you research your gun:

PictureTrail: Online Photo Sharing, Social Network, Image Hosting, Online Photo Albums

Shotgunworld.com • Folsom, Crescent, American Gun Co. & Tradename Information

Hoosier Gun Works : Online Catalog : Firearms Cross Reference

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?137093-12-gauge-break-open-Shotgun-Armory-Gun-Co

This is what my gun looked like (I've since sold it):

IMG_4537a.jpg IMG_4535.jpg

Last Edited:
Some very good information there, etrain16! The last time I actually did any research was years ago when the Internet was quite young.

And, BTW, as it must be with yours...that you sold...everything on mine is original. I've, of course, done some cleaning and bluing. It will be a nice gun to hand down to one of my sons. I'll likely ask them to decide which of the two wants it, though. It likely won't hold any other sentimental value other that it belonged to me since none of my kids every knew their Grandpa. The only one they did know was my step-dad...and he was a good a grandpa to them as he was a dad to me.

Some very good information there, etrain16! The last time I actually did any research was years ago when the Internet was quite young.

And, BTW, as it must be with yours...that you sold...everything on mine is original. I've, of course, done some cleaning and bluing. It will be a nice gun to hand down to one of my sons. I'll likely ask them to decide which of the two wants it, though. It likely won't hold any other sentimental value other that it belonged to me since none of my kids every knew their Grandpa. The only one they did know was my step-dad...and he was a good a grandpa to them as he was a dad to me.

When I took it originally in trade, yes, everything was original and was still when I sold it. It had a moderate amount of surface rust and the wood was rough. I spent some time with some 0000 steel wool and gun oil on the metal to clean up the rust - thankfully no deep pitting was present. The bore had a little surface rust too, but cleaned up nicely. The wood I did a some light sanding with some fine grit sandpaper, then rubbed in a light coat of oil.

All in all it cleaned up very nicely and was a fun gun to shoot, I just needed more space in the gun safe. In the end, I sold it for almost double what I got it for in trade. If it had come to me from my father, I would have held onto it as well :) I've got a Marlin Model 60 from my father that will pass down to my daughter some day. As for your boys, I can only speak for myself as I barely knew my own grandfather, but I would take it for sentimental value and family history alone - hopefully one of them will see that value as well.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top