JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I concur regarding tomatoes, especially in most areas West of the Cascades. My Mother lives in a climate similar to Wenatchee, she puts tomato plants in crappy soil, and she will get multiple "crops" of tomatoes from each plant during the Summer.

Peter

I love gardening ... but the title "fastest" is bunk.

Radishes and lettuce varieties and some spinach grow fast as do a lot of beet varieties.

I prefer beets as you can eat the leaves early and have the roots later.

There are sections in my garden that produce as many as 5 crops a year.

garlic during winter up Oct 1 to July 4 (later for a couple different varieties)
Radishes
Beets
Lettuce
Kale

Then back to garlic.

Kale is great early spring and late fall as is parsley.
I plant parsley and keep it over the winter for a spring harvest.

Cilantro is somewhat fast as well.
Bush beans are 60ish days also.

Carrots and Onions are definitely NOT fast, nor are tomatoes or peppers.

I have 3 types of worms in the soil. Fat night crawlers ... they go deep.
European worms like the mid soil layer.
Red worms --- massive appetite for everything and they can be found everywhere but often at upper soil areas.
They are compost eating machines.

My soil is so good it can sustain 5 crops a year. (Took a few years to "Grow" the soil)

The article failed to mention that growing sprouts, particularly beans, peas, and broccoli, are the fastest and most nutritious of any vegetable. Bean and pea sprouts contain up to 35% protein and are ready to eat in about 36 hours. Broccoli takes several days but one ounce of broccoli sprouts contains more nutrition than a pound of fresh broccoli.
While it might get old eating sprouts for every meal, you can certainly survive on them for a lengthy period and the unsprouted seeds can be stored easily for years with the proper preparation.

Tomatos require lots of sun to do well, without that, they require heat. You can plant them in crappy ground, and under-water them, and they will do fine with lots of sun.

I've had pretty good luck with potatoes, usually russet. Squash depends a lot on the variety, zucchini requires most of the summer, but butternut squash will usually give you a few crops through spring and summer.

One of the other things I didn't see mentioned was sunflowers, I havn't tried them up here in the PNW yet, but they are an easy crop to grow, and provide a good amount of needed dietary fat.

Seed Sprouts. Get Humic acid concentrate and fulvic acid concentrate ... ad to h20.
Increases nutritive value to ridiculous levels.
(Setups run ~$30 on the cheap. Over $600 if you go all out and get a grow tent etc.)
Azure Standard has the best price. (For broccoli seeds)

Wheatgrass Kits.com - Growing & Juicing Info, Kits & Wheat Grass Juicers has #10 cans of many varieties.

Use food grade hydrogen peroxide to keep bacterial free. (Need it anyways for water systems torture etc.) - ? Did I say that out loud?
Best Sprouter on the market. <broken link removed>
(Any decent sprout system will do including mason jars with strainer lids. Just need be diligent to change the water on schedule.)

Get led 14 watt multi spectrum lighting from ebay for $24 shipped.
A seed sprouting Garden is: Mobile, nutritious, year round, private, tasty, rapid. (Makes a great addition to a small garden and allows for winter gardening.)

Get Broccoli Seeds. Eat the sprouts. Plant some outside after potting them and hardening them to the elements. Depending on where you live they will flourish year round and over winter. (Small heads of broccoli and lotsa leaves in the spring.)
The whole plant is edible. The stock makes you gassy.

I believe in edible landscaping.

Many other varieties of seed can be eaten as sprouts and the misc replanted outdoors before they go bad.

Kale is ok in the shade, beets many things are if your soil is excellent as they get indirect sunlight all day too.

What is the best of the group when you have limited direct sunlight, maybe 2-3 hours per day only?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top