JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have an 1187 Special Purpose I'd like to re-purpose for sporting clays and skeet. The current 21" barrel is only cycles buck and slugs and is marked as such. Can I used any 26" or 28" barrel for light target loads or do I need a specific barrel like the "skeet" barrel?

I have an 1187 Special Purpose I'd like to re-purpose for sporting clays and skeet. The current 21" barrel is only cycles buck and slugs and is marked as such. Can I used any 26" or 28" barrel for light target loads or do I need a specific barrel like the "skeet" barrel?
You can TRY to shoot shoot skeet with any barrel.
If you want to have success, get a 26" barrel labeled SKEET.
Not only will it have a choke optimized for skeet, but it will have that nice, 3/8" wide vent rib to track your targets with.
I sucked at the "center station" until I acquired a legit skeet barrel.
Instead of throwing softball-size patterns, I was now throwing watermelon-size patterns.

In my mind, a lot depends on Why you are Shooting Skeet. If you're "Out for Blood" then spend the DOLLARS and get a proper Over and Under because they are the Guns that are bringing home the Thropies. But, I've also seen Folks enjoy a round or two using a Remington 870 with an open choked 18" Barrel, right out of a Squad Car! And he shot Two Straight Rounds.:):):)

I'm just going for fun, nothing competative. If it ever did get there I'd buy a decent double. Looks like I'll be asking santa for skeet barrel ;) Thanks

I've been going back and forth between buying a barrel and another gun, but seeing as I have two 1187 already I'm leaning towards the barrel.

Is the skeet barrel just a 26" vent rib with a skeet choke? I don't see alot of "skeet" barrels, but it seems easy to get 28" (I prefer 28 over 26) and change the choke. I'm also wonder if the Special Purpose changes anything when buying a barrel, other than making sure not to use a 3 1/2 super magnum barrel.

Lets say I buy
Remington Barrel Remington 11-87 Special Purpose 12 Ga 3 Rem Choke
and a skeet choke. That's it right?

The 26" Skeet barrel has a wider rib, I think it has dual beads too. The shorter length will make it faster to swing onto the second bird. Also, it should be used on a 2-3/4" Receiver. You'll be Shooting Skeet loads in that length.

I've been going back and forth between buying a barrel and another gun, but seeing as I have two 1187 already I'm leaning towards the barrel.

Is the skeet barrel just a 26" vent rib with a skeet choke? I don't see alot of "skeet" barrels, but it seems easy to get 28" (I prefer 28 over 26) and change the choke. I'm also wonder if the Special Purpose changes anything when buying a barrel, other than making sure not to use a 3 1/2 super magnum barrel.

Lets say I buy
Remington Barrel Remington 11-87 Special Purpose 12 Ga 3 Rem Choke
and a skeet choke. That's it right?

Yup just pick a choke;). Lots of pics on the net that will give you an idea of what kind of pattern you'll get at different ranges.

That doesn't make sense, who told you it would only cycle heavy loads? The most it would take is some simple adjustments by a Smith. All the 21" barrel Remington's I own or have seen have remchokes, for Skeet they are perfect with an ic tube installed. Are you talking about "skeet" or using it as a generic term for shooting clays? Skeet is Shot with short barrel quick moving shotguns with open chokes. Other clay games are different. Skeet progresses from 12 gauge to smaller gauge shotguns (sometimes with tube inserts) to make the game more difficult where all trap is shot with a 12 gauge with shooters moving further back from the house to make it more difficult. Sporting clays is another game all together.......we have a Browning Superposed 12 gauge 26" barrel skeet gun. The truth be known, your 21 inch barrel Remington has the same overall length and sighting radius as our Browning, it should make a perfect skeet gun. The sporting clays guys seem to experiment with different chokes, stocks and barrel lengths. I am sure each range has different ideal combinations. I have shot it a few times, it seems like people use less specialized field guns more than trap and skeet shooters. My wife shoots in the local trap league.....it is like golf or bowling and is very addicting. I shot many years ago on the USAF European trap team but am only a casual shooter these days.

Last Edited:
+
The 26" Skeet barrel has a wider rib, I think it has dual beads too. The shorter length will make it faster to swing onto the second bird. Also, it should be used on a 2-3/4" Receiver. You'll be Shooting Skeet loads in that length.
Get a 26" barrel.
When you are at the center station you will be glad.

I found my Skeet barrel on the For Sale board at Tri-County Gun Club.
Your best chance at finding your barrel is the gun clubs and Ebay.
There is a 26" vent rib w/chokes bidding at $208 currently on Ebay.
Possibly Gunbroker.
1100 does not interchange with 11-87

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews