JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was told this by a friend and had to read it for myself. Its true as far as I can tell. Bottom line is your PREBAN 10+ round mags can not be carried or used in public. Only your privet land or a gun range. (Gun smith etc.) So all of us who carry 10+ mags risk a class A misdemeanor if we have them inserted in a gun in public. Regardless of CHL and owning them pre-ban. Camping in Eastern OR, 30rd mag in the truck gun, nope. 15 round mag of 10mm in that Glock 20SF on your chest rig camping… nope.

Here is the text from Mesure 114:
(c) In addition to either (a) or (b) of this subsection the owner has not maintained the large-capacity magazine in a manner other than:
(A) On property owned or immediately controlled by the registered owner;
(B) On the premises of a gun dealer or gunsmith licensed under 18 U.S.C. 923 for the purpose of lawful service or repair; (C) While engaging in the legal use of the large-capacity magazine, at a public or private shooting range or shooting gallery
or for recreational activities such as hunting, to the extent permitted under state law; or
(D) While participating in firearms competition or exhibition, display or educational project about firearms sponsored,
conducted by, approved or under the auspices of a law enforcement agency or a national or state-recognized entity that fosters proficiency in firearms use or promotes firearms education; and
(E) While transporting any large-capacity magazines in a vehicle to one of the locations authorized in paragraphs (c)(A) to (D) of this subsection, the large-capacity magazine is not inserted into the firearm and is locked in a separate container.
(d) The person has permanently and voluntarily relinquished the large-capacity magazine to law enforcement or to a buyback or turn-in program approved by law enforcement, prior to commencement of prosecution by arrest, citation or a formal charge.
(6) Unlawful manufacture, importation, possession, use, purchase, sale or otherwise transferring of a large-capacity magazine is a class A misdemeanor

So as I see it as long as we have a hunting permit issued by ODF, we can be going to or from coyote or feral hog hunting. (No season or restrictions, just need a license) Only issue is driving you have to have the 10+ mag in a separate locked container. Once on foot, bike or roller skates your good to go to go condition one. Looks like the ODF may sell a few more hunting licenses each yr.

Looking for holes here. Sure hope I am wrong in what I have read but sure looks like its this way.

EDIT: Also posting as a service to those who did not see this part of 114. I was ANTI 114 from the start and never saw this part. Now we all have to live it. I get it there are a bunch of threads on 114. This topic I have not seen and its a big one.

Last Edited:
1668493268185.png

It's already been brought up that the measure allows more than 10 rounds to be used for 'recreational activities', as it says in the text you've quoted.

As far as anyone can tell, 'recreational activities' should very much include target shooting on public land as no Oregon law says that target shooting has to be done at a designated area. So long as you aren't in a restricted area, such as near a hiking trail or campground, then you should be fine.

It's not like the Sheriff's Department or OSP have the means to patrol public land looking for people that are simply target shooting. But it still should be legal, even if this nonsense actually gets certified as passing.

I was told this by a friend and had to read it for myself. Its true as far as I can tell. Bottom line is your PREBAN 10+ round mags can not be carried or used in public. Only your privet land or a gun range. (Gun smith etc.) So all of us who carry 10+ mags risk a class A misdemeanor if we have them inserted in a gun in public. Regardless of CHL and owning them pre-ban. Camping in Eastern OR, 30rd mag in the truck gun, nope. 15 round mag of 10mm in that Glock 20SF on your chest rig camping… nope.

(c) In addition to either (a) or (b) of this subsection the owner has not maintained the large-capacity magazine in a manner other than:
(B) On the premises of a gun dealer or gunsmith licensed under 18 U.S.C. 923 for the purpose of lawful service or repair; (C) While engaging in the legal use of the large-capacity magazine, at a public or private shooting range or shooting gallery
or for recreational activities such as hunting, to the extent permitted under state law; or
(D) While participating in firearms competition or exhibition, display or educational project about firearms sponsored,
conducted by, approved or under the auspices of a law enforcement agency or a national or state-recognized entity that fosters proficiency in firearms use or promotes firearms education; and
(E) While transporting any large-capacity magazines in a vehicle to one of the locations authorized in paragraphs (c)(A) to (D) of this subsection, the large-capacity magazine is not inserted into the firearm and is locked in a separate container.
(d) The person has permanently and voluntarily relinquished the large-capacity magazine to law enforcement or to a buyback or turn-in program approved by law enforcement, prior to commencement of prosecution by arrest, citation or a formal charge.
(6) Unlawful manufacture, importation, possession, use, purchase, sale or otherwise transferring of a large-capacity magazine is a class A misdemeanor

So as I see it as long as we have a hunting permit issued by ODF, we can be going to or from coyote or feral hog hunting. (No season or restrictions, just need a license) Only issue is driving you have to have the 10+ mag in a separate locked container. Once on foot, bike or roller skates your good to go to go condition one. Looks like the ODF may sell a few more hunting licenses each yr.

Looking for holes here. Sure hope I am wrong in what I have read but sure looks like its this way.
This part of the measure allows use of 10+ capacity mags for recreational purposes where state laws allow. Hunting was just an example but recreational activities are many.

for recreational activities such as hunting, to the extent permitted under state law

Mass non-compliance is one of the options to deal with what I perceive to be clearly unconstitutional bs. The founders never intended the voting process be used to strip away rights.

For added drama, if you read their definition of large-capacity magazine, it's not just magazines containing 10 or more rounds, it's any magazine that could "readily" be converted to do so. So popular 10 round magazines go right out the door too if there exists a compatible baseplate extension, and depending on what's available, that could eliminate lower round-count magazines as well. Ex. G27 mag holds 9 .40 cal cartridges. There exist both OEM and aftermarket +2 extensions. If the baseplate is not permanently affixed, the unmodified 9 round mag would be considered large-capacity.

If you consider being pan-handled and threatened while stepping over shiit and needles on the sidewalk a recreational activity you should be good-to-go downtown with your regular mags.

For added drama, if you read their definition of large-capacity magazine, it's not just magazines containing 10 or more rounds, it's any magazine that could "readily" be converted to do so. So popular 10 round magazines go right out the door too if there exists a compatible baseplate extension, and depending on what's available, that could eliminate lower round-count magazines as well. Ex. G27 mag holds 9 .40 cal cartridges. There exist both OEM and aftermarket +2 extensions. If the baseplate is not permanently affixed, the unmodified 9 round mag would be considered large-capacity.
Ok, tinfoil hat. COULD that be a problem? Maybe. Will it be? Doubtful. Unless you happened to be caught with several "9 rounds" with +2 extensions, a host of "unmodified" ones and a few rogue baseplates, I don't see how that's gonna work out.

Ok, tinfoil hat. COULD that be a problem? Maybe. Will it be? Doubtful. Unless you happened to be caught with several "9 rounds" with +2 extensions, a host of "unmodified" ones and a few rogue baseplates, I don't see how that's gonna work out.
I'd read the example I gave again and/or help me understand the confusion. Your example with all of the spare parts is making it unnecessarily complicated.

You don't need to own, possess or ever have purchased any spare extensions, springs, inserts, etc.. Take those out of the equation. The mere existence of aftermarket extensions means that 9-round magazine is by-definition a "large-capacity magazines" simply because it could potentially be modified to a higher capacity with commercially available parts. That makes it so many magazines even with a capacity of 10 rounds or less will fall under the stipulations of the law posted in the OP.

I'd read the example I gave again and/or help me understand the confusion. Your example with all of the spare parts is making it unnecessarily complicated.

You don't need to own, possess or ever have purchased any spare extensions, springs, inserts, etc.. Take those out of the equation. The mere existence of aftermarket extensions means that 9-round magazine is by-definition a "large-capacity magazines" simply because it could potentially be modified to a higher capacity with commercially available parts. That makes it so many magazines even with a capacity of 10 rounds or less will fall under the stipulations of the law posted in the OP.
Cool story, bro continue to live in unnecessary fear

EDIT: Also posting as a service to those who did not see this part of 114. I was ANTI 114 from the start and never saw this part. Now we all have to live it. I get it there are a bunch of threads on 114. This topic I have not seen and its a big one.
The operative words:

"or for recreational activities such as hunting, to the extent permitted under state law"

What does that mean? Because it's preceded by the word "or" it means that here is yet another legal space in which these magazines, if legally possessed before the ban, can be used, specifically for "activities such as hunting, to the extent permitted under state law".

The operative words:

"or for recreational activities such as hunting, to the extent permitted under state law"

What does that mean? Because it's preceded by the word "or" it means that here is yet another legal space in which these magazines, if legally possessed before the ban, can be used, specifically for "activities such as hunting, to the extent permitted under state law".
Some have interpreted this to mean only for hunting but it's clear to me that hunting was listed as just one example of what a recreational activity is. My take is that if they intended to limit it to hunting as the only recreational activity they could be used for, they would have wrote it that way.

"such as" implies that there are other recreational activities where the 10+ mags would be permitted to be used.

Some have interpreted this to mean only for hunting but it's clear to me that hunting was listed as just one example of what a recreational activity is. My take is that if they intended to limit it to hunting as the only recreational activity they could be used for, they would have wrote it that way.

"such as" implies that there are other recreational activities where the 10+ mags would be permitted to be used.
This is exactly how I interpreted it. Hunting is one example, target shooting is another. I'll feel entirely legal using my pre-ban 10+ magazines target shooting on public lands where permitted.

I agree that hunting was used as an example, but I don't think anyone was arguing that it meant hunting only.

Hunting as an example could be framed as a structured, regulated and high participation "recreational activity" allowed under state law. It "could" be interpreted that "recreational activities" in general may be limited in nature... vs... how everyone wants "recreational activities" to be defined. Which is... "If I say my firearm activity is 'recreational' it is.. and it's legal".

That may or may not be true, but it most certainly could be argued and open to interpretation in more than one way.

If you intend to follow Measure 114 restrictions, how will you legally transport shotgun with 10+ attached tube magazine from home to range?
Well... if you intend to sheeple then you would lock up your shotty in one box... with an empty tube... and your shells in a seperate locked box.

A normal person might just toss it in the trunk and when asked if they may search your vehicle... you say, "no, thank you". :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top