JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My Neighbors already know I have guns. I already know my Neighbors have guns. I would venture to guess that everyone on my road has guns (plural). The kids out shooting squeaks in the spring all have guns and the old timers in town have guns. The cops have guns and the bad guys have guns. The woman at the store in front of me had dam near a full combat load on her belt and if I had to guess, she knew how to use all of it. The nice older lady that comes into the diner every Saturday morning to have coffee carries a .38 spl Lady Smith in her purse (I know cause she takes it out and sets it on the table looking for change)!

It's southern Oregon! There are guns here. A lot of guns here and they are not going anywhere!

I've seen very little discussion on this part of this measure. It's not talked about on the televised so-called news, nothing detailed posted here and the measure itself is pretty darn vague.

Not that I give two spits about it, since I'm done buying. But I'd like to know all the details. These things have a way of getting bigger, if you know what I mean.
It's vague because public records do not have to be declared; all info collected is by default public.

See: Public Records and Meetings Law

What is a Public Record?
With a few exceptions, all government records of any kind are considered public records. A public record is any writing with information about the conduct of public business that is prepared, owned, used or retained by a public body.

Who is subject to the Public Records law?
The law applies to every public body, including every state officer, agency, department, bureau, board, and commission, as well as every county and city governing body, school district, special district, municipal corporation, or any board, department, commission, council or agency thereof.

Are all public records subject to disclosure?
Most public records are subject to disclosure, but there are exemptions. Records related to an active criminal investigation are exempt from disclosure until the case is resolved. Confidential communications between government officials and government lawyers are also exempt from disclosure. Public agencies that deny public records requests must show that their denials are consistent with the law.

Public Records Exemptions
Oregon law contains over 500 exemptions to the disclosure of public records. The Attorney General maintains a publicly available catalog of Public Records Exemptions ». This searchable catalog includes for each exemption the full text, a brief description, the affected agencies, and particularly significant appellate cases and public records orders. The catalog serves only as a guide, and does not have any legal effect.

Shown above are two exemptions relevant to us, currently in the gun statutes. 114 changes existing statute. Adding some things and removing others. In the requirement for the permit database there is no exemption from the public records law. There is no exemption stated in the new amendments.

The framers of 114 chose to not codify an exemption. Hence the permit database (which must be electronic and searchable) is public info.

It's vague because public records do not have to be declared; all info collected is by default public.

What is a Public Record?
With a few exceptions, all government records of any kind are considered public records. A public record is any writing with information about the conduct of public business that is prepared, owned, used or retained by a public body.

The law applies to every public body, including every state officer, agency, department, bureau, board, and commission, as well as every county and city governing body, school district, special district, municipal corporation, or any board, department, commission, council or agency thereof.

Most public records are subject to disclosure, but there are exemptions. Records related to an active criminal investigation are exempt from disclosure until the case is resolved. Confidential communications between government officials and government lawyers are also exempt from disclosure. Public agencies that deny public records requests must show that their denials are consistent with the law.

Oregon law contains over 500 exemptions to the disclosure of public records. The Attorney General maintains a publicly available catalog of Public Records Exemptions ». This searchable catalog includes for each exemption the full text, a brief description, the affected agencies, and particularly significant appellate cases and public records orders. The catalog serves only as a guide, and does not have any legal effect.

Shown above are two exemptions relevant to us, currently in the gun statutes. 114 changes existing statute. Adding some things and removing others. In the requirement for the permit database there is no exemption from the public records law. There is no exemption stated in the new amendments.

The framers of 114 chose to not codify an exemption. Hence the permit database (which must be electronic and searchable) is public info.
This part of the bill ranks right at the top along with the "permit to exercise a constitutional right". Thanks all for helping illustrate what I already knew, and helping clarify it.

Any self respecting firearms owner that voted yes on this should have all his constitutional rights revoked. Disgusting.

In the December 7 committee hearing with OSP, one of the legislators noted she would like to create protection (public record exemption) of the permit applicants information, just like the Legislature did a few years ago for CHLs.

What is a Public Record?

What a great opportunity for those to have published their personal information via the new 114 mandates and willfully participate in the process that has the potential to do harm to the applicant? Geez? What if insurance companies and your employer has access to this information?

In the December 7 committee hearing with OSP, one of the legislators noted she would like to create protection (public record exemption) of the permit applicants information, just like the Legislature did a few years ago for CHLs.
That's a joke. Any public employee at work or on their way out the door could post the whole thing, or sell it for that matter. These people break every law in the book and openly disobey the supreme court and have millions upon millions to spend to get rid of guns, you seriously think anyone will trust them to keep things private? :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:rolleyes:

Fe as br1sket showed above in post # 9:

Obviously, the Oregonian is not educating the public on this critical issue. where is Maxine B. when you need her investigative talent?
Send her an email. She will listen and most likely dig into it. She may not be aware of it or it may not be a "squeaky wheel". Most likely not aware would be my guess.

I thought I heard that. Thanks for bringing it up. That is yet another matter for the legislature to address.

Don't know yet how far the legislature is planning on going with this, but considering how this has the potential to be in litigation for several years, would like to hear opinions on the emergency clause, and how it would affect court ordered changes or illegal portions. The measure already has contingencies for saving the rest of the measure if portions that will be declared unconstitutional or illegal. However, with the emergency clause, it could mean that some other noxious portions, such as the 30 day background check, could still stay and could not be removed if the emergency clause was invoked. Any legal opinions on that aspect?

I perused the entire list of states that had rules concerning the privacy of concealed holders. Two stood out. Oregon until a decade ago was ok with publishing concealed holders information. New York, the one state that puts all of the info out into the public. Some have no permits needed, most say the information is only available to law enforcement. Some say names only are available.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top