JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As a I saw this, my first thought was "unlikely" as Cougars are rarely seen. But, since we are not hunting as much their numbers have increased.
And an undersized animal this time of year is likely desperate. "In a phone interview with MailOnline Wednesday night, Shelby's grandfather, William White, revealed that it was a fourth cougar killed on his property in the past several weeks. "

"When Thomas White spotted a cougar approaching his teenage son outside their home in rural Washington state last week, there was only one thing to do - hand a gun to his 11-year-old daughter. The girl's father, Thomas White, was home at the time, but Shelby was the only one in the family with a tag - a permit to legally kill a cougar.
"

I praise the man for using this as a teaching opportunity for his daughter.

<broken link removed>

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...f/2014/02/twisp_girl_11_shoots_cougar_th.html

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/2014/02/cougar-killed-by-11-year-old-twisp-girl/

<broken link removed>

The Seattle Times account varies from the Mail Online account - see the paragraphs on the son. The Mail Online says he was unaware, the Seattle Times says he was.
Hunting stories - next week it will have been 200 lbs.

"The animal appeared to be moving in the direction of Shelby's 13-year-old brother, who was unaware of the danger as he made his way toward the basement door with a bag of animal
feed in his hands. "

vs
" The next day, his son went out to feed the dogs and was returning to a basement door when he saw the cougar following him, Treser said.

"His dad was in there and said, &#8216;Close the door!' and there was the cougar, right behind him,"

Last Edited:
Seems the cat may have been attracted by movement and then possibly smelled the pet food.. it was starving and therefore desperate. They normally are pretty reclusive and in all the years I've spent in forests I've never seen one although I've seen bears and coyotes

."When Thomas White spotted a cougar approaching his teenage son outside their home in rural Washington state last week, there was only one thing to do - hand a gun to his 11-year-old daughter. The girl’s father, Thomas White, was home at the time, but Shelby was the only one in the family with a tag - a permit to legally kill a cougar.
"..
That's pretty odd/lame thinking.. tags don't have anything to do with anything if you are "protecting your brother" or somebody.

That's pretty odd/lame thinking.. tags don't have anything to do with anything if you are "protecting your brother" or somebody.

They do if the ODFW confiscates your rifle and fines you for shooting one without a tag. Even though you have a good chance of beating the case in court it is still a burden on you to have to miss work and hire an attorney. If a tag is available, use it and avoid all the hassle.

They do if the ODFW confiscates your rifle and fines you for shooting one without a tag. Even though you have a good chance of beating the case in court it is still a burden on you to have to miss work and hire an attorney. If a tag is available, use it and avoid all the hassle.

What cougar?

If the boy was genuinely in trouble, Dad would not have handed the rifle off to the girl. That just isnt gonna happen. Reality would have been bang, flop. I think he was pissed about losing cattle, had the girl shoot the cat legally with tag, and the rest of this is just media contrived for some goal or another. Looks like it was a sick cat, underweight and such. In my limited experience they dont just walk up to the back door and wait for someone to decide to shoot them. I have shot 2 of them in my life and they are amazing creatures. Id like to bag another before I go.

Seems the cat may have been attracted by movement and then possibly smelled the pet food.. it was starving and therefore desperate. They normally are pretty reclusive and in all the years I've spent in forests I've never seen one although I've seen bears and coyotes

I grew up on 10 acres right along the gates of camp bonneville and I saw a few growing up walking through our field or the brush in the woods. Never up close but in the house they could not tell they had someone watching them. It was rare to see but the mountain lions as we called them caused damage often enough that many of the farmers claimed they had lost dozens of chickens, small live stock and other animals. The camp was at the edge of our property and after it was shut down I would go over as an adult to ride my old dirt bike and sometimes see a black bear on the other side of the fence since it had no people anywhere on that huge property for many years I guess they felt safe. As a kid I enjoyed the sound of the shooting range and sometimes louder guns or grenades..never knew what the loud ones where. It was a fun place to grow up and get to know all the animals and not fear them as much as some do.

If this were to happen in Oregon cant you legally shoot one if it poses an iminent threat to humans or livestock and pay for the tag afterwards? Thought I read that somewhere. I know you are required to turn the canines and reproductive organs in to OFW.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top