JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Tragic, I dont think I could recover from something like that.
The last couple of years I've been waffling on not wearing hunter orange and have been at least wearing an orange hat on some hunts. Its really a good idea to go full hunter orange.

To all involved my heart and prayers go out to you.
May you all find peace in your hearts , minds and souls.

To hunters , be careful , and be sure of what you are shooting at...the backstop you have and where your hunting partners are at.
Andy

Tragic, I dont think I could recover from something like that.
The last couple of years I've been waffling on not wearing hunter orange and have been at least wearing an orange hat on some hunts. Its really a good idea to go full hunter orange.
My son got mad when I made him dawn the orange but would rather him be mad at me !

Man, this nearly sends me into an emotional breakdown -

I simply CANNOT get over wondering how this could have happened - I mean was she so far away from her father he mistook her for whatever he was hunting (the game was not mentioned) or total negligence with gun handling up close.

The guy interviewed at 1.20 said, 'Is somethin' you don' want to hear, but it is reality' was NOT what I considered to be a very 'thoughtful' remark. He made it sound like it was something 'commonplace' to happen.

I have no idea what a hunting 'lease' is but I do have some knowledge of hunting in states with little public land and from what I ascertain these hunting areas are tight-knit and not particularly far from one another.

I simply CANNOT get over wondering how this could have happened - I mean was she so far away from her father he mistook her for whatever he was hunting (the game was not mentioned) or total negligence with gun handling up close.

The guy interviewed at 1.20 said, 'Is somethin' you don' want to hear, but it is reality' was NOT what I considered to be a very 'thoughtful' remark. He made it sound like it was something 'commonplace' to happen.

I have no idea what a hunting 'lease' is but I do have some knowledge of hunting in states with little public land and from what I ascertain these hunting areas are tight-knit and not particularly far from one another.
Hunting leases exist where there is no public land. A landowner will lease the hunting rights of a plot of land. So, in theory, it should be safer and more controlled than public land.

Texas has relatively little public hunting land. If you want to hunt you either buy scrub land or lease the hunting tights from someone or join what is basically a coop that owns a parcel of land and pay a very high initiation and membership fee. . I knew people in Texas that had 40,000 acre holdings they'd allow hunters to lease hunting rights for a few hundred to a few thousand bucks a year.

Fortunately hunting accidents are rare, but in most cases Ive read about I notice a trend that the hunter simply did not identify their target. Negligent Discharge is always a smaller possibility as well as not having a backstop on a deer, especially in flat states like TX.

If you want to hunt you either buy scrub land or lease the hunting tights from someone or join what is basically a coop that owns a parcel of land and pay a very high initiation and membership fee.
What a crappy thing to deal with if you want to hunt. Almost sounds like some form of 'organized crime' (but legal).

Those who choose to can 'cuss' Oregon all they want but I'LL NEVER disdain the unencumbered freedom I have had all my life of being able to spend nearly all my 'free' time in the National Forests literally minutes from where I live, hunting, fishing, camping etc.

I recall one time (while stationed at Tinker AFB in OK) trying to go bow hunting and working out a deal with a 'landowner' on some sort of a 'lease' deal that went sour at the last minute. I nearly lost my composure over it but realized I was in a state wth little to no 'public land'.

I have to laugh at those who call states like Texas 'free' because of their CC laws but are they really 'free' if there is little to no 'public' land ?

Last Edited:
What a crappy thing to deal with if you want to hunt. Almost sounds like some form of 'organized crime' (but legal).

Those who will can 'cuss' Oregon all they want but I'LL NEVER disdain the unencumbered freedom I have had all my life of being able to spend nearly all my 'free' time in the National Forests literally minutes from where I live, hunting, fishing, camping etc.

I recall one time (while stationed at Tinker AFB in OK) trying to go bow hunting and working out a deal with a 'landowner' on some sort of a 'lease' deal that went sour at the last minute. I nearly lost my composure over it but realized I was in a state wth little to no 'public land'.

I have to laugh at those who call states like Texas 'free' because of their CC laws but are they really 'free' if there is little to no 'public' land ?
Texans are delusional about their carry laws. They were late to the game and are heavily restricted in their use. Then again Texans are pretty delusional about a lot of stuff.

Texans are delusional about their carry laws. They were late to the game and are heavily restricted in their use. Then again Texans are pretty delusional about a lot of stuff.
from what I understand we actually have way more carry rights in deep blue Oregon that deep red Texas does.

Those who choose to can 'cuss' Oregon all they want but I'LL NEVER disdain the unencumbered freedom I have had all my life of being able to spend nearly all my 'free' time in the National Forests literally minutes from where I live, hunting, fishing, camping etc.
Ive fished, backpacked, skied, hunted all my life on National Forest, State Forest and BLM lands here in Oregon, completely free and unencumbered and literally anytime I want. I could never imagine living in Texas, outdoor recreation there is for the privileged only.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top