JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
An 11 year old boy was killed in his home in Malin Oregon today or yesterday. The parents requested that the police not release the name of the deceased or the details of the death. A Medford newscaster reported that the boy was killed by a "22 long rifle". It will be interesting to see what the Klamath County D.A. does.

In the big picture, it's very sad news to hear about such a young kid dying. May God rest his soul and I'm sorry for his parents, it must be a nightmare for them, although I don't know the details of the story.

An 11 year old boy was killed in his home in Malin Oregon today or yesterday. The parents requested that the police not release the name of the deceased or the details of the death.

Such requests are often made in cases of suicide. If this was a suicide, then we will probably never hear anything further about this incident. Not even from the DA. The press rarely reports on suicide, unless it is done in a very public manner.

Bless the poor kid and his parents.

Gun locks are CHEAP!!!

I got my first gun, a Browning SA-22 in .22 LR, back when I was 12, and a Browning Auto-5 20 gauge shotgun when I was 13. I kept them in my bedroom. So I was not much older than this boy was.

My Dad did not give me any handguns until I turned 15, though.

But this was all 5 decades ago. And times have since changed.

Sad day for everyone in that community.
I really hate to hear about this, but it's more important to get it out so others may not see the same fate.

Sounds bad but at least he wasn't one of the evil people trying to take out innocents people on the way out.

A good friend of mine responded to this call,as a volunteer fireman. His understanding was their had been some hunting going on,but nobody really knew much at that stage of the incident...very chaotic of course.
RIP young man. condolences to his family and friends.

They were hunting? That could potentially add another layer of tragedy, if another hunter accidentally shot the boy. That would be something extremely difficult to live with.

There is not much to hunt this time of year, though. I wonder if the ground squirrels in Eastern Oregon have already come out of hibernation? We have been having some really warm weather lately. And they are fun to hunt with rimfires.

This could also easily explain the holding back of details, if they want to protect a friend or relative who accidentally shot the boy.

No matter what happened, this is a truly terrible tragedy for such a young life to be lost. My heart goes out to the suffering parents, as losing a child is easily the worst thing that any person can experience in life.

I got my first gun, a Browning SA-22 in .22 LR, back when I was 12, and a Browning Auto-5 20 gauge shotgun when I was 13. I kept them in my bedroom. So I was not much older than this boy was.

My Dad did not give me any handguns until I turned 15, though.

But this was all 5 decades ago. And times have since changed.

My sympathies go out to the family of this young man. I was raised in a household in which every gun was loaded and every since I can remember I knew where they were. I, like Lance Jacobs received a .22 rifle at age 12 and was allowed to keep both the loaded rifle and ammunition in the closet in my bedroom. I did so without any incident for 7 years at which time I moved out of my parent's house.

There was one tragic incident that happened to a friend of mine when I was a sophomore in HS. He was class president and very well liked. In a compound stupid incident at age 15 he took his parents car out for a joyride by himself. He had done it several times before and was quite proud of himself that he had this undetected, only this time he happened to hit an elderly lady pedestrian. He thought he had killed her and rushed home, found one of his father's guns and committed suicide. In the time frame of the middle 1960's there was no hue and cry to ban guns, it was just thought of as a stupid tragic mistake of the perpetrator.

And yes times have since changed as Lance has noted and I may add not for the better IMO.

There's no bad time to review the Four Rules, and this might be better than most. At every opportunity, I drill the Rules into the heads of the young souls I take out to shoot.

The .22 is the most common caliber in the 800 accidental shooting deaths every year in the US.

Turns out it wasn't accidental. The boy intentionally shot himself after an argument with an 11 year old friend. Then one of the adults was screamed at the friend that it was all his fault. An acquaintance that is familiar with the family made the statement that they are very dysfunctional.... meaning?

Thank God I have never gone through that particular hel l. I feel sorry for the parents and all those who have contact with them...

Turns out it wasn't accidental. The boy intentionally shot himself after an argument with an 11 year old friend. Then one of the adults was screamed at the friend that it was all his fault. An acquaintance that is familiar with the family made the statement that they are very dysfunctional.... meaning?

They are all as bat-**** crazy as a box of frogs.

tac

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top