JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been running DD fixed irons on it for so long, but my eyes are starting to give me problems.

What would you run? Why?

Looking for ideas.

I like the idea of an EOTech. But they are kind of outdated, are they still the go to battle optic?

I don't need butler compensation or what not.

I want bomb proof, well, durable and long lasting. Nothing is truly bomb proof.

Thanks!

Reno

I go back and forth between Aimpoint and EoTech. Currently on an aimpoint kick because I like the smaller dot, especially when shooting farther than 100 yards. I also prefer the battery life. I find the eotech to be easier to run at close ranges. Wider field of view and its hard to miss that donut of death.

Right now I use a Trijicon MRO, Aimpoint ACO, Eotech xps2, and an old school Trijicon rx34 on various ar builds. If I had to pick one for a "go to hell" optic, it would be the Trijicon MRO.

I go back and forth between Aimpoint and EoTech. Currently on an aimpoint kick because I like the smaller dot, especially when shooting farther than 100 yards. I also prefer the battery life. I find the eotech to be easier to run at close ranges. Wider field of view and its hard to miss that donut of death.
What's your battery life like on the EOTech?

I was running triji MRO on my SBR and similar micros on all my ARs but went back to my roots of eotech and not looking back. Not saying MRO isn't good because it is but I prefer the eotech and the wider view is awesome. Run that with a magnifier and damndigity you're set. Plus it looks freaking great on your rail.

I'm leaning towards the EOTech, but the battery life is what has me thinking of others. I've got optic's that I change batteries in year measurements or longer. Aimpoint and Trijicon are on the list as well. As well as a few of the higher end Holosun models. Acogs are on the list, but towards the back.

Haven't considered the MRO, it's too similar to the Aimpoint, but I'll have to give it a look.

Just look how good that looks.. the best part is its not just TACTICOOL its what I used in the army (well the NV model) and its tested time and time again to be reliable and durable.

20200508_185505.jpg

Aimpoint T-2 Micro on a Scalarworks 1/3 co-witness mount with a KAC micro battery cap . Super small, light weight, very clean profile, extremely tough with huge battery life with an extra on board CR2032. If you want to be extra cool, go for a set of their PEAK sights too. Only downside is $$$.

or

NightForce NX8 1-8 if a LPVO is on the table. I'm not a fan of it's tight eye box but it's small footprint and light weight can't be beat.

Last Edited:
How far are you shooting? How small of targets do you want to accurately hit? And in what manner: offhand, sitting at a bench, prone...

I like magnified optics and I have found that I can do just about everything with a primary arms 1x6 or 1x8 (and more) that I can do with a red dot. At 1x it functions like a red dot (but I also have practiced and now can easily shoot with both eyes open with magnified optics) and then obviously having the magnification up to 6 allows for longer more accurate shoots or smaller targets at shorter ranges.

I have a 1x6 variable with a throw lever on my 11.5 It's the best option in my experience.

Now, if I only ever planned to shoot it from the distances of about inside of 30ft max, the red dot would be fine and the a magnified option would be rather pointless. If it was a red dot, the sig romeo 5 aa battery version when got on sale for about $160

How far are you shooting? How small of targets do you want to accurately hit? And in what manner: offhand, sitting at a bench, prone...

I like magnified optics and I have found that I can do just about everything with a primary arms 1x6 or 1x8 (and more) that I can do with a red dot. At 1x it functions like a red dot (but I also have practiced and now can easily shoot with both eyes open with magnified optics) and then obviously having the magnification up to 6 allows for longer more accurate shoots or smaller targets at shorter ranges.

I have a 1x6 variable with a throw lever on my 11.5 It's the best option in my experience.

Now, if I only ever planned to shoot it from the distances of about inside of 30ft max, the red dot would be fine and the a magnified option would be rather pointless. If it was a red dot, the sig romeo 5 aa battery version when got on sale for about $160
I'm very satisfied with the 1-4 I have on my 16" carbine.

My 11.5" SBR I am able to hit man size targets at 200 yards using my irons. As well as minute of 10" gong at 100 yards. At 50 is where I've shot it the most and can group 2" with plain ole iron sights.

All of this is slowly going to turd as my eyes are slowly getting worse.

Reflex or dot sight is primarily what I'm looking at. So many options out there now. EOTech has its reputation and is battle proven. Yet they haven't seemed to update their tech in a while and newer options have superior battery life and other options. Yet, I don't know if any of those can be thrown off a cliff side and remain functional and zeroed. Not that I'll be doing that, just kind of my goal with the SBR is to be absolutely reliable and durable.

A solid LPVO is a good way to go if one is will to put up with the increased weight, larger foot print, typically greater cost and more difficulty with irregular shooting positions, for the extended PID capability alone.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top