JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently purchased a 10mm pistol. I was looking for dies and came across the Lyman 4 die set (Sizing Die, Neck Expanding M-Die, Bullet Seating Die, and Taper Crimp Die). For my 9mm which is what I have been reloading i have a three die set (Sizer Die with Decapping Unit, Expander Die, and a Seater Die for seating and crimping the bullet).

I am a little apprehensive about reloading a high power round. My question is: would yall recommend the 4th die for 10mm rounds or is a three die setup sufficient?

I have not reloaded 10mm so can not speak to that. I do load .50 AE with a 3 die set. I will say the only handgun dies I use now are the Hornady TiN dies. I have replaced all my carbide dies with them. They run so much smoother.

For reloading 40sw I've always used the taper crimp. Beings I'm not familiar with the Lyman 4 die set I would use the taper crimp die and use it as designed. Many of the 3 die sets are actually a roll-crimp which would not suffice with jacketed bullets. So set the seater for final-depth then crimp afterward. As far as loading the higher-pressure 10mm (as compared to the 40sw) start low and work the load up using a current load manual and the proper recipe for your bullet wieght. Good luck!

You already have the essential dies. If you want to crimp as a separate process, which I highly recommend due to the more consistent results, just get a Lee Factory Crimp Die. Not expensive and it does a fantastic job. Easier to adjust than a combined seat/crimp process. The Lee FCD isn't as sensitive to varying case lengths either.

I use a 3 die RCBS setup for my 10mm. I don't normally run into any problems though I do understand the issues of seating while crimping.

One thing that you might run into with a separate crimping die is if you are running a compressed powder load. That can actually push the bullet back up before you crimp on the 4th die.

elsie

One thing that you might run into with a separate crimping die is if you are running a compressed powder load. That can actually push the bullet back up before you crimp on the 4th die.

elsie

If that happens one should reconsider the powder they're using. When it pushes back many consider that too much. Consider a higher energy powder rather than trying to stuff more in the case.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top