JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I finally got around to loading some 10mm and encountered bad primer seating depth, Using cases by Win,Rem,Sig,FC and A USA. The ones that passed my QC were barely flush and quite a few were above the rim, I'm using Win Large Primers Stand/Mag and it seems odd as Win Small Primers have been very satisfactory to me regarding seating depth. My primer arm does stick a little on the upstroke but I'm scratching me head with the question of are the primers out of spec? Is the primer arm defective? Or is my luck that bad that I have 200+ cases with bad primer pockets? o_O

I use the RCBS press priming tool and haven't had any issues except when I mess up and don't get the primer in correctly (it will sometimes stick to my finger and flip sideways or upside down). It's slower and more labor intensive that a hand primer with a magazine, but I haven't had any issues with seating in properly prepared brass.

What I had noticed early on in my reloading is that if the pockets weren't sufficiently clean, the primers would end up being flush or close to it.

But I do note that the 10mm doesn't seem to seat as deep.

What is the issue with CCI primers? Those are my go to primers and if there are issues I'd like to know about them.

elsie

I didn't catch what press you're using, which might point to the issue. As far as priming tools, I prefer the bench-type primer seaters, the one I have happens to be RCBS, but I don't have much brand loyalty on this front.

One thing I do on the bench priming tools is drill and tap a hole through the lever that seats the primer, and put a set screw in it. This gives you a positive stop to prevent seating too deep and crushing the primer. However it makes the primer-feeder system that comes with it kinda useless. As long as my hands are clean I've never had a problem handling primers.

Generally, winchester and CCI primers are harder than federal, with winchester being of the "middle" hardness. Personally I prefer CCI but will accept winchester, and I actively avoid federal primers.

I'm using the Lee breech lock challenger. And as far as cleaning the primer pockets mine have virtually no residue as I wet tumble and then take an xacto knife to the inside rim (Only on ones where residue has made it through tumbling).

I use the RCBS press priming tool and haven't had any issues except when I mess up and don't get the primer in correctly (it will sometimes stick to my finger and flip sideways or upside down). It's slower and more labor intensive that a hand primer with a magazine, but I haven't had any issues with seating in properly prepared brass.

What I had noticed early on in my reloading is that if the pockets weren't sufficiently clean, the primers would end up being flush or close to it.

But I do note that the 10mm doesn't seem to seat as deep.

What is the issue with CCI primers? Those are my go to primers and if there are issues I'd like to know about them.

elsie
I will use CCI primers but I prefer WIN. The reason is I ran a batch of 1k 9mm with selected lots of brass approx. 250 FC, 250 Rem etc.. and when I was done I realized almost none seated below the rim and from what I have gathered deeper is better with primers to a degree. So after using Winchester I've been a little biased against CCI.

No worries, you can still re-seat the primers, typically you want .003-.010 below the case rim, most of the time I set the ammoload machines to .005-.008 (there's usually some variance). Just be damn careful and wear safety glasses.

I just loaded 500 new and 1x starline 10mm with no issues. I then loaded a couple hundred cleaned range brass and had several that I had to put back in the press and lean on to get them seated. I was using CCI.

I have such anxiety about re-seating a primer after reading in the Lee second edition about a man who had a primer embeded in his leg when it popped. That incident apparently sparked a revision on all hand priming units. I Wouldn't have thought that a primer could achieve enough velocity.:confused:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top