JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
CharlesAFerg said:
I'm considering the 1076, or 1026 if I feel I could carry it.

Does anybody have experience with these weapons in particular?

I have a 1006. the Smiths are very strong, well built guns and handle the 10mm very nicely. it is my most comfortable to shoot 10mm and the one I use for any of my load development when approaching max loads. that said, it is also a large, heavy gun, probably not well suited to EDC. if the weight doesn't bother you, and you are built right to hide it, you would be as well or better armed as you would be with any handgun.

other variables to this equation relate to ammunition. most factory ammo is loaded to, or slightly above .40sw levels. if you plan on carry with lighter loadings, you gain nothing for the extra size and weight. there are full on 10mm choices out there such as the CorBon and DoubleTap loadings. I normally use Winchester 175gr silvertips for woods carry in my Delta Elite and it is considered only a mid-range loading for the 10mm.

for myself, I love my Smith. if you want a 10mm, either of your choices would be good ones. aside from bbl length(1076) and controls(1026), they are the same gun as mine.

hope this helps...

The witness is better than a BREN TEN. Cheaper and still in production and going strong. You can actually get spare mags for them.

I carry a 9MM CZ...

ONLY because this gun is to big and heavy for me to CCW all day.

For the woods or when I expect trouble. This gun is what is in my shoulder
rig.

Best $300 I ever spent on a gun, and $69 shoulder rig!

10MM.. Leaving the .40 Crowd In the Dust!

I thought the 10mm was a cartridge that would go by the way side and wouldn't be around long. Boy was I wrong! Didn't think I'd like a 10mm, wrong again. If you think they're not popular, try to find a Smith & Wesson 1006,1066,1046. GOOD LUCK!

and the early 610's (suck) half moon clips the newer ones would extract like rimmed shells .I owned an older one 10mm's rock wish i had waited a little while till the newer ones where here.

Colt made the Delta Elite 10mm in stainless and blue. They discontinued it and then brought it back (in stainless)! Springfield made the Omega (10mm) for a short time then discontinued it. These were 1911 style pistols. Both the (older) Delta Elites & Omegas are hard to come by and VRY expensive. The EAA Witness 10mm is in current production, a very nice gun at a good price.

That would be fun!

I just read about an AUG type carbine in 10mm that uses glock mags, I think that is going to have to go to the top of my next buy list. Having a carbine in 10mm that shares mags with my G20 would be great.

Have you considered the Mechtech Carbine Conversion Unit for your G20? I'm considering getting a G20 along with a CCU although a Delta Elite would be preferred.

As the proud owner of a S&W Model 1076 10mm, I'll give this old thread a bump and say hello! She's been my carry weapon since I bought her back in the 90's. Carry loads are 180gr Federal Hydroshocks, and DoubleTap 180gr rounds at 1250fps. The recoil spring has been upgraded to 22lbs. Currently saving my pennies to replace the very dim original night sites with some Trijicon SA14(Y)'s with yellow front dot. Looking for 10mm brass as well.

Colt made the Delta Elite 10mm in stainless and blue. They discontinued it and then brought it back (in stainless)! Springfield made the Omega (10mm) for a short time then discontinued it. These were 1911 style pistols. Both the (older) Delta Elites & Omegas are hard to come by and VRY expensive. The EAA Witness 10mm is in current production, a very nice gun at a good price.

I have all 3 of these and both full size and compact Witnesses-- I'm taking both Deltas, the Omega and a 610 5" to the Vancouver gun show this weekend to see if another owner would at lease shoot them, rather than leave them in the gunsafe like they have been with me.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top