JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys and gals.

I relocated here not too long ago from GA.

When traipsing through the woods in Georgia, it is wise to have a potent side arm at one's side. Hogs, snakes, marijuana growers are all possibilities.

I bought a bone stock G20 and have long been a fan of the capabilities one can squeeze out of a semi auto round.

My current load is 10.8 grains blue dot with a 180 grain HST. I'm using my own 1 fired brass. I have in my possession, some 210 flat wide nose that started out life as 41 mag projo's and were sized down progressively to .401.
Anyone ever play with some "heavies" in 10mm?
Is there a great load that seems better suited to the PacNw?

I've played around a bit with the 10 (actually, 850 different loads!) and found 200gr to be the heaviest that feeds reliably and still has good (safe pressures) velocity, at least in my G20 w/ aftermarket barrel.

G20-2.jpg

What a world, I had worked from 10 to 10.4 grains of blue dot with an 180 grain prvi jhp at 1.250 oal and while the brass comes out ok I dont usually pick it up again, and I get 1260fps from the 6" hunting barrel in my glock. my load is not unpleasant fairly accurate, and what I carry while hunting as a back up for black bears that want what I have allready bagged..

How fast is the hst load that you make? what sort of group from what sort of firearm do you get?

I have loaded a ton of 10MM over the years, my favorite load is 9.5 grs of longshot with a 180 gr bullet this load will do 1300 fps out of my G-20-C, I think 180 gr is more than enough for anything that walks or rolls in Oregon, I have shot a couple of deer with 180 gr XTP'S and got pass throughs.

I like 180's either Hardcast TC's for things I might want to shoot through like Bears, and hit the spine on the way out or Gold Dots for things I want to break the charge of like crackheads and Cougars. Both loads are 1300 fps loaded with AA#9.

I like 180's either Hardcast TC's for things I might want to shoot through like Bears, and hit the spine on the way out or Gold Dots for things I want to break the charge of like crackheads and Cougars. Both loads are 1300 fps loaded with AA#9.
Do hardcast leave a plume of particle dust when fired? As I understand, hardcast is not all lead?

Well, it is official, I am a member of the 10mm club, as I just got the call back that I can pick up my G40 MOS!!!!! I also received the 10mm auto rounds and am loving the looks of it. Just wow! Cannot wait to shoot it!!

What length barrel and what grain load are you using? I won't copy it without starting lower, but I'm interested.

What a world, I had worked from 10 to 10.4 grains of blue dot with an 180 grain prvi jhp at 1.250 oal and while the brass comes out ok I dont usually pick it up again, and I get 1260fps from the 6" hunting barrel in my glock. my load is not unpleasant fairly accurate, and what I carry while hunting as a back up for black bears that want what I have allready bagged..

How fast is the hst load that you make? what sort of group from what sort of firearm do you get?
Group is fine. I'm not the world's greatest handgunner but usually I can hit a 3x5 at 50 ft.
I was never in a position to chrono it. In the stock gen 4 4.7 inch g20 barrel it should be between 1200 and 1250 fps.

I'm sure it will push the HST beyond its limits.

I too reloaded 10mm with Blue Dot, but used 180gr XTPs and only new brass. That was mostly for fun up to 10.8gr BD out of a Delta Elite. I never choreographed those but they were spicy and loud!

My 10mm hiking insurance was Glock 40 with a KKM barrel using Underwood hard cast 200gr...always perfect little holes in paper targets, every time. Some say Glock factory barrels are unfriendly to heavy hard cast. Your results may be different :)

Underwood also had 200gr XTP HP for domestic problems, loaded at 1,250 with 694 ft lbs! That's the way Norma loaded 10mm originally...much more fun :rolleyes:

I highly recommend Underwoods when your life may depends on it.

Does 10mm brass not last long?
When I was reloading 10mm with Blue Dot my Delta Elite supported the case fully but my Glock 40 did not fully support so some had case bulge. It is a pretty high pressure round and I may have been overly cautious to not reload even once. Personal choice ;)

Edit: the original Glock barrel had a bit of unsupported but the KKM barrel I later added to my G40 was perfect in supporting the case fully.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads