JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
the 10mm is a magnum case... you're going to want mid to slow pistol burning powders for it. HS6 is a great starting point, bullets... you can get any of the same bullets you would normally use for 40.

If you can find it, Power Pistol. 135 grain Noslers are a beast out that cartridge.

Recommended top loads are not a lot of fun to shoot in my opinion, so for practice might want to stick to the lower or mid range loads.

My go to load is 9.5grs of longshot with a 180gr bullet @ 1300fps. if you want to make fire balls try 10.5grs of bluedot.

The 10mm is a much better cartridge than most.
Bullet weight: 175-200gn for generaly purpose or hunting. 165gn for self-defense. 135gn for max velocity.
Powder? Pretty much any pistol powder you can find. AA5 to 2400 work fine. AA7 to AA9 for highest velocity.

Welcome to the fascinating world of the 10MM! I've been shooting one since the Smith & Wesson Model 1006 days (1984), I picked one up new outside Ft. Bragg when I reported there after Warrant Officer School. In my experience, the powder choice (burn rate) should be a good fit for the manufacturers recommendations, based on how fast the action can lock and un-lock reliably. In my experience, slower is never a bad idea.

OAL: (over all length) should not exceed 1.250 [however, load about ten rounds and manually fit them inside your FACTORY magazine and ensure that they do not bind. You may need to reduce the OAL by a few thousandths of an inch.

BULLET TYPE: The throat of the barrel (the portion where the bullet leaves the magazine and is pushed into the barrel by the motion of the slide) has the most to do with what type of bullet will work, RELIABLY in your gun. I would recommend starting with a Truncated Round Nose design for practice work. As before, load ten rounds into a magazine, insert the magazine, with eye and ear protection on, point the gun in a safe direction and with your finger OFF THE TRIGGER, manually cycle the slide to ensure that the bullet shape will work well in your magazine/chamber/barrel.

I use 200 Grain TRN bullets, from Berrys Manufacturing, they are consistent and excellent.

POWDER: I prefer ball (spherical) type powders, but in this day and age, you may not have that luxury. Your Glock 20 has a 4.6inch barrel, so too much powder will just make a big fireball. I would recommend Accurate Arms #7 (9.3 grains to start and work your way up) or #9 (12.0 grains to start and work your way up).

PRIMERS: Primers are a wash these days. I have standardized on WOLF/TULA with excellent results. Clean your primer pockets once in a while.

BRASS: I've used every kind of 10MM brass on the planet and I have no real recommendations, they all work and are all pretty much excellent. Shiny nickle plated brass is harder to see on a sunny day on the ground outside, so I try to avoid that.

CRIMP: I would recommend that your crimp your cases. I use a taper crimp on my 10MM, you will need to load the first round to length, taper crimp it and drop it in your chamber. In a semi-auto pistol, the round head spaces on the crimp, too much crimp can be a bad thing. Start out slow until you get the recipe that works best in your gun and your chamber.

Remember, if you have a concealed carry permit, never carry your gun with reloaded ammunition in it. For non range use, find a major manufacturers ammunition that feeds reliably in your gun and magazines. Once a year, take your carry ammo to the range and say farewell to it and purchase some new stuff.

If you are looking for a good, comfortable holster, I recommend GALCO products, you will not have buyers remorse.

Be safe, never point that 10MM at anything you don't want to see destroyed. Not ever.

7SFCW4,

OK I have to ask, what does it matter if you use reloads or commercial ammo for defensive ammo. Any round you send down the pipe at someone, is still worth 1 million dollars a round in a lawsuit.

Just asking.

Thanks,

7SFCW4,

OK I have to ask, what does it matter if you use reloads or commercial ammo for defensive ammo. Any round you send down the pipe at someone, is still worth 1 million dollars a round in a lawsuit.

Just asking.

Thanks,
Yes it comes down to justified or not ammo used is the least of your concerns.

I think most people who lean toward factory ammo as apposed to reloads is reliability. That being said I carry my own reloads in my 29 CC.........and that being said I have made mistakes reloading before not to find out till I shot them, once in my 10mm practice ammo and once in 223 practice ammo.......it happens, usually never the same thing twice because it tends to wake you(me) up and make you(me) less complacent

I've been working up loads using 800x. I'm at 10.2 grains behind a 180 grain XTP using starlike brass and cci magnum primers.

I do not recommend starting here. This is using a lone wolf 6" barrel and 22# spring on a steel guiderod. This is a HOT load.

there is a wealth of info over at glock talk in the 10mm reloaders section. It has been a big help to me. FWIW I like stout loads of AA#9 & 200gr hardcast truncated cone bullets.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top