JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For many years I considered a handgun to be my primary defense firearm, with rifles falling into a more hobby oriented category. After attending the Clallam County Citizen Firearms Safety Course with the Sheriff Dept last year, my frame of mind did a 180...

Everybody ran through several active shooter scenarios using the departments incident response simulator. Shoot/no shoot drills were performed with both pistols and carbines. Each was fitted with a CO2 cartridge system built into a magazine which cycled the firearm, a laser to indicate hits on a projection screen, and a computer was used to read indicated hits on the screen. The process was both entertaining and enlightening, as I did significantly better with the Bushmaster carbine than with the .40 pistol.

Afterwards, I pulled out my rifle (Colt Sporter Match HBAR), but compared to the Carbine, it felt heavy and unwieldy. I also had an Olympic Arms K10UR 10mm carbine upper, sitting unused because I really don't like the oversized proprietary polycarbonate magazines it came with. I pulled the the 10mm upper out of storage and started researching alternate magazine options and discovered Glock magazine style lowers in the process. With retirement looming, I decided I needed a retirement gift/project and ordered an Angstadt Arms 1045 Glock receiver set, several Glock 20 magazines and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

IMG_0408r.jpg

I'd also come across some concerns expressed about the safety of 10mm blowback design in the AR platform. I'm not sure I fully understand them at this point, but decided I wanted to order a DI 10mm upper from RMWExtreme, using my Angstadt Arms receiver...then Covid set in and that funding got put on hold. I also read speculation from a reliable source that the Oly Arms pistol caliber upper should function with the Angstadt Arms lower without modification. I assembled the lower (my first build experience), but found that the Oly Arms ejector interfered with the LRBHO mechanism in the 1045 lower, not allowing the upper to close onto the lower. Knocked out a pin, set aside the Bolt Catch Actuator, and success...function too... :)

IMG_0601r.jpg

While no LRBHO function is less than desirable, at this point it's compact, feels great in my hands, it's fun to shoot and seems accurate at the short distance and brief testing I've done so far. Looking forward, I still want the flattop upper from built from RMWExtreme, but I'm unsure about barrel length. I'm also looking for any thoughts on the blowback safety, and wondering if getting the tax stamp is worth it to enable the use of a real stock versus the brace with a short barrel? With Covid limiting my travels to shops out of the local area, I'm curious about any thoughts you all might have. I'm trying to decide between 16" or 10.5" barrel length, but for now, I still have a bit of time to plan...

IMG_0585r.jpg

Thanks for any thoughts and/or input...

You should look into a CMMG rotary delayed blowback upper. It's perfectly safe with 10mm and you have the option of using modified AR magazines, which are more reliable than Glock mags.

You should look into a CMMG rotary delayed blowback upper. It's perfectly safe with 10mm and you have the option of using modified AR magazines, which are more reliable than Glock mags.

Thanks for your comments!

First I've heard of Glock mags being unreliable...and I really like the Angstadt Arms receivers I have, using 15 round mags with the carbine upper is exactly the compact piece I wanted.

I did consider the Banshee in 10mm before deciding to go with RMWExtreme's DI upper...but until I can afford to finish that plan, the current setup is working well. I still need to learn more...but in the mean time, I'll be sticking with moderate pressures and looking forward to having the upper done so I can try out my red dot.

I have the CMMG pistol and it's a hoot. They (CMMG) recommend using SGM magazines, which come with the gun, but I've yet to have an issue using Glock magazines Of course, the SGM mags are more fun, holding 35 rounds, but they all work. I think Amend 2 is making a 30+ round Glock compatible magazine as well. It would be worth a try too. I'd avoid AR mags modified for 10mm just because they will be expensive and , of course unusable if you have or plan to get a 10 mm Glock.

The process was both entertaining and enlightening, as I did significantly better with the Bushmaster carbine than with the .40 pistol.

I've thought for a long time that I'd do better with a rifle for home defense than a handgun. One of my AR's is a Bushmaster XM-15 E2S. It's pretty handy. Where my home is situated I don't have to worry overly about stray shots of an errant .223 bullet. Also, I've got some .223 ammo loaded up with USN jacketed frangible bullets which were designed with this issue in mind.

I'd avoid AR mags modified for 10mm just because they will be expensive and , of course unusable if you have or plan to get a 10 mm Glock.

No, the Glocks just never felt right in my hand...and I've always enjoyed shooting revolvers better. I've wanted a Smith and Wesson model 610 for years...got lucky a couple weeks back, stumbled onto a brand new S&W 610 at a local pawn shop and put it on layaway...finally after years of wanting, I'll have a nice little carbine and a revolver both in 10mm. :)

Then go with what makes you happy, brother. I have coveted the 610 myself
Good luck with whichever setup you choose!:s0155:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews